Jim_Iain Live Blog - Infinity B2B - Carribbean and East Bound TA

Jim_Iain

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:17 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Well after 30 years together I think I’ll keep Iain around for another 30. 

Sounds like a plan...😉 All the best for the two of you.

I am enjoying your blog and curious to read about the TA experience.

Regards from Germany

Christine

We have used Carrie V. too....  🙂

Have a great crossing!   We are in final throws of packing for our departure to FLL on Friday and EDGE!

Joe

Edited by JoePDX

Booking a TA has crossed my mind but am not sure what to expect so following along with great interest (have only ever sailed Caribbean itineraries to date).  If I recall correctly, I think I read that you had experienced a rough crossing before, Jim?  Something about the ship having to avoid storms or typhoons or something?  Is that typical or unusual?  (The answer will likely influence my decision to book a TA, lol.)

Like many others have voiced on this thread, I also am thoroughly enjoying your blog.  And have enjoyed your posts that I have seen on other threads.  Always informative.  Thank you for sharing your experiences and info for people like me who are "less seasoned" in the cruising world! 😊  Enjoy!!!

Edited by Reel Love
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 6:35 PM, pd7277 said:

Is that tall cabinet on the right new? 

It's either that it is new and no one told the person ordering the banquette or someone can't measure.

The webcam is on the balcony of the third floor (maybe second) left corner of the first condo building.

That tall cabinet was added when they did the last Soltization dry dock.   All the RS have it.   The refrigerator is located in it which is also a weird location.   It had originally been in The cabinet beneath the bar.   

7 hours ago, hcat said:

Looks like you are off to a good start...have a great journey!

Wonder how many of those "elephants " X has on board.?   Bet they will be changed out eventually!

In discussions it is the only one.   They said they will try to move but not sure if they will be able to.   

On 4/22/2019 at 6:36 PM, hcat said:

Can it be lined up with the edge of the tile?  Guess someone did not measure  before ordering that furniture

I kidded the Butler and asked if it were a Hooper design. 

• Haha 2

Jim - At some time during your blog, I would be most grateful if you would comment on how you handle going west to east on a TA.  My partner (of 45 years) and I have only taken east to west TA's and are somewhat apprehensive about setting the clocks forward every night on west to east TA's.

I agree with the previous posts that the enormous piece of furniture is woefully inappropriate.   Maybe Ms. Hoppen fell in love with the design in some medical facility lobby in the U.K.??

Edited by freddie
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, MikeMary4449 said:

Hi Jim, We are happy to be following along on another of your wonderful blogs!  We see from your post of

Tuesday, April 23, that you will be arriving in Madeira on "Tue/April 20"!  Celebrity's IT Department strikes again!

By the way, who is your Butler?  We hope you have a wonderful cruise and don't trip over "the Elephant"!

Best Regards, Mike and Mary

Arsin is  our Butler.  He is the Butler for port side but volunteered to continue taking care of us after room change.   I’m really not wanting to bother him with the pink elephant as he is already increasing his work load by taking care of us.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Joe Beach said:

Iain- guess I waited too long and missed my chance, I was going to ask you to ask Frantzis if he will be coming back to the Infinity after his off time, i.e. in 3 mos. or any info on his future schedule, maybe you already know, or Berdos would know. Much appreciated!!

He is on for 3 months along with his family.  Captain Nickolas will then replace him. 

5 hours ago, Chrissi3010 said:

Sounds like a plan...😉 All the best for the two of you.

I am enjoying your blog and curious to read about the TA experience.

Regards from Germany

Christine

We love the peace and tranquillity of TA’s.   What is nice is you can do as much or little as you choose.    The put on extra entertainment and have things going on all all day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reel Love said:

Booking a TA has crossed my mind but am not sure what to expect so following along with great interest (have only ever sailed Caribbean itineraries to date).  If I recall correctly, I think I read that you had experienced a rough crossing before, Jim?  Something about the ship having to avoid storms or typhoons or something?  Is that typical or unusual?  (The answer will likely influence my decision to book a TA, lol.)

Like many others have voiced on this thread, I also am thoroughly enjoying your blog.  And have enjoyed your posts that I have seen on other threads.  Always informative.  Thank you for sharing your experiences and info for people like me who are "less seasoned" in the cruising world! 😊  Enjoy!!!

As you know weather is always unpredictable.    We have done around 12 TA’s.    The southern crossings have always been smooth, often as smooth as a mill pond. The northern crossing have all been rough and cold.  

The website with the wave model is really good.   The ships do a good job of diverting around any large storms.  

The had a Senior Officer party in Michaels Club at 5:30.  We didn’t attend due to the early hour.   Wim said it was well attended. When we came down for drinks at 8:00pm Michael’s Club was deserted.  

B18A80C7-E527-4DDA-BE67-6EA9D7422313.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

As you know weather is always unpredictable.    We have done around 12 TA’s.    The southern crossings have always been smooth, often as smooth as a mill pond. The northern crossing have all been rough and cold.  

The website with the wave model is really good.   The ships do a good job of diverting around any large storms.  

Thank you so much! :)

We are booked in 6142 next summer. Looking at that seating compared to the other RS I wonder if now is the time to change suites while we can!!! Loving the blog and following along as it seems a long time to July 2020. Can’t be greedy as only recently home from the Millenium.

On 4/22/2019 at 1:52 PM, Jim_Iain said:

It is 20% as you stated.   Celebrity didn’t update it.  It really surprised me how little the stateroom attendants make.  

I think the stateroom attendants are the second on the list above the Butler. I suspect the bottom one is for the stateroom backup staff. I would have thought that they would have made sure the list added up though!

5 hours ago, Ayton lady said:

We are booked in 6142 next summer. Looking at that seating compared to the other RS I wonder if now is the time to change suites while we can!!! Loving the blog and following along as it seems a long time to July 2020. Can’t be greedy as only recently home from the Millenium.

Might be a good time to change.   Not a bad room but it is also one of the furthest aft.