Cost

babs135

28 minutes ago, Lady's Mom said:

We started cruising with NCL, RCL, and Celebrity a number of years ago.  We were younger, had children  in tow, and were very price conscious.  As we got older we tried Azamara and Oceania.  We liked both of them because the ships were smaller, the crew were friendlier and more accessible, and the food and itineraries were more to our liking.  However, when we started taking longer cruises, with more ports and therefore more shore excursions, the final price of each cruise went up precipitously.  You notice I didn't mention the cost of alcohol, because on all of these cruises we would share a bottle of wine with dinner and call it a night.  In addition, with longer cruises, a typical stateroom with a typical closet, started to become uncomfortable for us.  

Several years ago, we started looking at Regent because they had an itinerary that included a land trip to Angkor Wat, that had always been on our "bucket list".  The price seemed "astronomical" until we costed out a comparable Oceania trip with shore excursions.  We have found that even on private tours, in Europe or Asia, $200/pp per day, is a conservative figure.  When we factored in the BC airfare and the shore excursions, Regent's price was the same or even a little less.  We took that first Regent cruise and never looked back.  In fact, we are fairly sure we are going to "pull the trigger" on our cruise in May and book the 2021 World Cruise.  I hope this helps even a little.

That's exactly us.. started with Costa, Carnival, RCI, then Celebrity, Princess, and lately Oceania and Azamara. Maybe Regent will be indeed the next step, who knows..

For us, Oceania was almost perfect, but I guess it really depends on your comparison point. If you come from Celebrity/Princess, what's not to like on Oceania? When you already tried Regent/Seabourn, things might look different.

Those who go with Regent - what makes it better than Seabourn/Crystal/Silversea (in your opinion)?

Ive done one Silversea ( 4 days Caribbean Silver Whisper) and one Seabourn (Sojourn , 14 days Buenos Aires to Santiago Chile). The Silversea cruise was such a debacle that I will never set foot on a Silversea ship again. based on comments from pax that were repeat customers, it was a "one of", but regardless left a bad taste. The Seabourn cruise was fine, but just that. I didnt care for their alternative dining venues, also found the service and attitude from the crew uneven . Plus, since we didnt have any status, we had to pay for wifi, very annoying. 

Im sure other posters that have done more cruises on these lines will chime in. You could also do a search and find many posts comparing these lines. We are very comfortable and happy in Regent, it feels like "coming home", so we're not looking for other options.

We essentially started with Princess (I don't count the Carnival 12 years earlier), and obtained "status" with them.  Then they "upgraded"us to a horrible cabin, and when we complained after arriving, they NEVER responded.  That, more than anything, caused us to drop them as an option.

We then looked around, and Regent had one itinerary that we liked.  Thought the pricing was high, but figured it was OK as a once in a lifetime event.  Absolutely enjoyed it no end.  What made me realize the difference was, when we were leaving for our first shore excursion, there were crewmembers at the exit handing us bottles of water.  Just handing them out, not selling them or anything.  This is what told me we were on a different kind of cruise - I was used to Princess crew selling them at the exit.  Then, later, when we were in the theater, the wait staffer came asking what we wanted to drink, and whoa....., they just handed it to us, and did not hand either a chit or wait for us to provide a cruise card.  Blew my mind.

Now we're done a number of cruises on Regent, and three expeditions on Silverseas, and don't think we could go  back.  The SO doesn't do alcoholic beverages, and does complain about having to pay nonetheless, but doesn't think that is enough to stop us from using those cruise lines.  Her main complaint is that, even being "all inclusive", Regent still doesn't take care of land tour guide tips - she really wants all inclusive, as in nothing out of pocket once we step on-board (and even before that, since Emirates provides door-to-airport and return service in BC).

We recently were looking for a cruise for the Arctic circle, and Silverseas, Regent and Seabourne were possibilities. Regent got dropped because they didn't go "deep" enough.  Seabourne was significantly less expensive, until we got the pricing on their excursions, which were included on the Silverseas expeditions.  Wow.  That blew them out of running - the total, when you added in BC airfare, was thousands more than SS.  So that is who we are using for our cruise this Sept.  

1 hour ago, LadyandtheTramp said:

We essentially started with Princess (I don't count the Carnival 12 years earlier), and obtained "status" with them.  Then they "upgraded"us to a horrible cabin, and when we complained after arriving, they NEVER responded.  That, more than anything, caused us to drop them as an option.

We then looked around, and Regent had one itinerary that we liked.  Thought the pricing was high, but figured it was OK as a once in a lifetime event.  Absolutely enjoyed it no end.  What made me realize the difference was, when we were leaving for our first shore excursion, there were crewmembers at the exit handing us bottles of water.  Just handing them out, not selling them or anything.  This is what told me we were on a different kind of cruise - I was used to Princess crew selling them at the exit.  Then, later, when we were in the theater, the wait staffer came asking what we wanted to drink, and whoa....., they just handed it to us, and did not hand either a chit or wait for us to provide a cruise card.  Blew my mind.

Now we're done a number of cruises on Regent, and three expeditions on Silverseas, and don't think we could go  back.  The SO doesn't do alcoholic beverages, and does complain about having to pay nonetheless, but doesn't think that is enough to stop us from using those cruise lines.  Her main complaint is that, even being "all inclusive", Regent still doesn't take care of land tour guide tips - she really wants all inclusive, as in nothing out of pocket once we step on-board (and even before that, since Emirates provides door-to-airport and return service in BC).

We recently were looking for a cruise for the Arctic circle, and Silverseas, Regent and Seabourne were possibilities. Regent got dropped because they didn't go "deep" enough.  Seabourne was significantly less expensive, until we got the pricing on their excursions, which were included on the Silverseas expeditions.  Wow.  That blew them out of running - the total, when you added in BC airfare, was thousands more than SS.  So that is who we are using for our cruise this Sept.  

Enjoy your Silversea cruise.  We have sailed Silversea three times on different ships and think that have a great product.  My only negative is that dressing up as formally as is required on Silversea is a drag!

I think comparing those lines to Princess or Celebrity is not exactly fair. Different category, different pricing etc. But comparing to Oceania or Azamara is more appropriate. Those lines also have many things included, they don't dime and nickel you and provide great service. But I guess you don't know the difference till you try it.

27 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I think comparing those lines to Princess or Celebrity is not exactly fair. Different category, different pricing etc. But comparing to Oceania or Azamara is more appropriate. Those lines also have many things included, they don't dime and nickel you and provide great service. But I guess you don't know the difference till you try it.

Could not agree with you more.  Comparing Princess or Celebrity to Regent is like comparing apples and spaghetti:classic_tongue:  There is so little to compare that it is hardly worth talking about (and yes - we have sailed on Celebrity).  

We did a "fun" cruise on Celebrity last year.  Their "special" was amazing (included premium alcohol package, internet, specialty restaurants and a $300 OBC) but it still was not as good as Oceania or Regent (and I'm not a big Oceania fan).  

We are trying random cruise lines once a year - just to be able to discuss the various cruise lines with posters on CC. It is fun but nothing, so far, has exceeded Regent.  The friendliness (genuine) of the crew, the service, food and suites are incomparable.  This year our random cruise will be on Crystal ....... one more experience in our repertoire.

10 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Could not agree with you more.  Comparing Princess or Celebrity to Regent is like comparing apples and spaghetti:classic_tongue:  There is so little to compare that it is hardly worth talking about (and yes - we have sailed on Celebrity).  

We did a "fun" cruise on Celebrity last year.  Their "special" was amazing (included premium alcohol package, internet, specialty restaurants and a $300 OBC) but it still was not as good as Oceania or Regent (and I'm not a big Oceania fan).  

We are trying random cruise lines once a year - just to be able to discuss the various cruise lines with posters on CC. It is fun but nothing, so far, has exceeded Regent.  The friendliness (genuine) of the crew, the service, food and suites are incomparable.  This year our random cruise will be on Crystal ....... one more experience in our repertoire.

What ship will you be on with Crystal?  Trust me it will surpass O and Celebrity by a long shot.

Since the topic has drifted a bit I’ll chime in.  We have sailed Regent, Seabourn, and Seadream.  All nice lines.  But our favorite cruise was the Celebrity Xpedition in the Galapagos!  All-inclusive, great crew, mind-blowing zodiac landings, etc.  Food was fine, given the circumstances.  And the seafood bbq lunch can’t be topped.  If you can still climb out of a zodiac (with crew assistance) and walk a mile or two on uneven trails, add this cruise to your bucket list.

Celebrity is adding a couple of new ships to their Galapagos fleet, one is definitely a lux ship (and priced accordingly, makes Regent seem cheap...).  Silversea also has a small ship doing Galapagos cruises.  You won’t go wrong with any of them.  I would avoid the National Geographic ship, as the pax seemed quite dour when we ran across them.   I guess they were getting pebbles in their Birkenstocks...

When we started cruising, we knew we were looking at one of the 'Big 4' luxury lines (Crystal, Regent, Seabourn, or Silversea) and a combination of factors (itinerary, mostly) led us to Regent.  Truth be told, I'm sure that if we'd have landed on one of the others we'd be big fans of that line now, but it didn't happen that way.

I've looked at cruises on the other three lines and have found some that looked good, and I'm pretty sure that one day we'll try another line when we find an itinerary/timeframe that better matches our needs, but until that time comes, I'm happy with Regent.  There really is that feeling of 'coming home' when we board one of their ships.  And having crew members who remember us and greet us as we board is a real plus.  It makes it that much tougher for us to consider another line at this point.

I'm fairly certain that if we do end up on another luxury line, we'll find some things we like better than Regent, and some we don't like as well.  We'll invariably draw comparisons, but even if the two lines come out equal, the fact that we've reached Gold status on Regent will always be a push in that direction.

I really don't think you can go wrong on any of the established lines, and I'm sure that the Ritz Carlton and other 'megayachts' will offer a great experience as well.  It really is nice to have these options.  

23 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Enjoy your Silversea cruise.  We have sailed Silversea three times on different ships and think that have a great product.  My only negative is that dressing up as formally as is required on Silversea is a drag!

With all due respect, it is not a drag for everyone.  We were taught to dress for the occasion, and that we do.

19 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

With all due respect, it is not a drag for everyone.  We were taught to dress for the occasion, and that we do.

I understand that but it is a drag for me (not so much my DH). On Regent we dress way above the minimum standard - DH wears a dress shirt and slacks every night - usually with a sports coat.  I wear a long skirt or dress pants with a fancy top.  It is the tuxedo "bit" that makes me crazy.  

3 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

For the "occasion"? And what's that? Dinner at Compass Rose?  Totally fine if you want to wear a gown and/or tux, but not necessary. 

Why would anybody feel it necessary to comment on a poster's characterization is beyond me.

Edited by cruiseluv

3 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

And it really isn’t “very formal.” We find it comparable to Regent with mostly resort casual. They have occasional optional formal nights where very few actually dress in traditional formal wear. Jackets are required in LaTerrazza but no ties.  Just like Regent, passengers, for the most part, dress very classy. If you haven’t sailed on Silversea recently, then perhaps old impressions are no longer accurate. 

14 minutes ago, Focused1 said:

And it really isn’t “very formal.” We find it comparable to Regent with mostly resort casual. They have occasional optional formal nights where very few actually dress in traditional formal wear. Jackets are required in LaTerrazza but no ties.  Just like Regent, passengers, for the most part, dress very classy. If you haven’t sailed on Silversea recently, then perhaps old impressions are no longer accurate. 

While it has been a couple of years since we sailed on Silversea, according to the Silversea board, they still have many “Formal” nights (tuxedo or dark suit and tie), “Informal” nights (slacks and jacket - no tie) and a few elegant casual nights.  

You speak of La Terrazza which is an Italian reservation dining venue - not somewhere that you will dine very often. You are likely correct about the dress code there but most people dine in the MDR where the dress code is fully intact.

Not sure about the Muse (new ship) but have read that the dining venues have different dress codes.  One person posted that on a formal night they had to dine in a casual pizza restaurant because they could not get a reservation and were dressed casually (“casual” as in how Regent passengers dress).

1 minute ago, Travelcat2 said:

While it has been a couple of years since we sailed on Silversea, according to the Silversea board, they still have many “Formal” nights (tuxedo or dark suit and tie), “Informal” nights (slacks and jacket - no tie) and a few elegant casual nights.  

You speak of La Terrazza which is an Italian reservation dining venue - not somewhere that you will dine very often. You are likely correct about the dress code there but most people dine in the MDR where the dress code is fully intact.

Not sure about the Muse (new ship) but have read that the dining venues have different dress codes.  One person posted that on a formal night they had to dine in a casual pizza restaurant because they could not get a reservation and were dressed casually (“casual” as in how Regent passengers dress).

Old posts and old information. There are no longer MDRs on the new and renovated ships just specialty restaurants, by the way. I remember that post about the couple dining in the casual pizza restaurant and it was not because they were dressed casually but because they didn’t have reservations for any of the specialty restaurants. This was a big problem when Silver Muse first entered the fleet. Folks were unaware that they needed reservations and no MDR existed so the only alternative was to eat at the only non-reservation restaurant (outside). 

13 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I do know that the new ships did not haves a MDR but assumed that the Whisper,  Shadow, Spirit, etc. still has one.  Has this changed?

Yes,  as they are renovated, they are all being “Musified.” (as they call it. )

2 minutes ago, Focused1 said:

2 minutes ago, Focused1 said:

Wow - very interesting.  I wonder if it has anything to do with Marc Conroy and/or Royal Caribbean purchasing the majority of Silversea.  I would love to see Silversea do better.  In addition to the dress code, our only issue was the ships not being renovated often enough.  We adore the Whisper!

2 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Wow - very interesting.  I wonder if it has anything to do with Marc Conroy and/or Royal Caribbean purchasing the majority of Silversea.  I would love to see Silversea do better.  In addition to the dress code, our only issue was the ships not being renovated often enough.  We adore the Whisper!

The changes were planned long before the RCI purchase and were a brainchild of the Silversea CEO for the most part. 

We are very fond of the Whisper, too. The Spirit has been stretched and now has the all specialty restaurant feature and other similar features of the Muse. But Whisper and Shadow still have the main restaurant. How they will Musify when renovated given they are smaller ships will most likely differ from the Muse, Spirit and Moon. And, of course, the expedition ships are a different animal. Really, though, we are just as comfortable on Silversea as we are on Regent in terms of dress code with many of the same folks who sail on both regularly. But, we are more partial to Regent as we think the food is better and the decor a bit more to our liking. Just as you, we love the Explorer and look forward to sailing on the Splendor in 2020..

Post #78 from @LadyandtheTramp indicated that they had booked a cruise on a Silversea Expedition ship after careful consideration of alternative cruise lines and various factors including cost (the title of this topic).

As I understand it the Expedition ships have no formal nights, so I am somewhat confused as to why this thread has further veered off topic into a discussion about formal wear on Silversea.

With all due respect, this discussion, if required, would be better held either on the Silversea Cruises Board or on the Luxury Cruising Board. It has nothing to do with the cost of Regent cruises.

Flossie, lol, many, many Regent threads end up in an exchange on included excursions or the dress code.  On the second subject, does anybody know the Silverseas policy on fancy, dress jeans in the dining rooms after 6:00 pm?

Sigh, the dress code again, really?

Just to reiterate, we choose Regent over the other luxury or premium lines mainly because of the bottom line, and that varies greatly from cruise to cruise and ship to ship.  We are booked on the 2021 WC because the rate is fantastic and we love the ship (Mariner). 

But right now we're seeing very competitive rates on Seabourn, for instance, which we would not hesitate to cruise again.  Of course, any such comparison would have to include consideration of the cost of Business Air, and excursions.  For instance, Seabourn folks don't seem to share private excursions through the roll-calls like the Oceania folks do, so with some exceptions, we'd be stuck doing expensive ship's tours, of the same calibre as Regent's free ones. (We love private excursions, but in most parts of the world, can't really justify the cost.)

And BTW, the dress code on Seabourn is more-or-less identical to Regent.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

In my opinion, in order to look at costs, one needs to compare all aspects of the cruising experience to other cruise lines.  In the last three pages we have discussed Oceania, Celebrity, Carnival, Crystal, SeaDream, Seabourn and Silversea as well as Business Class flights and excursions - all of which go into making a financial decision.  

I feel that it is important to know that Silversea is (was?) very formal, that other cruise lines do not include Business Class air or excursions.  Although not directly related to cost, Silversea's dress code has been a deal breaker for some people.  The discussion about Silversea's dress code did not morph this thread into a dress code thread any more than discussing included air turned this into a flight thread.

When lines such as Regent, Crystal and Seabourn lightened the dress code to elegant casual many people went to the other lines.  I recall Crystal, Radisson and Seabourn had three different dress codes many years ago.  We have have done two Silversea cruises on the Shadow and they were too formal for our liking tuxedos and long gowns are not for us.  Cocktail slacks and tops for ladies and blazers for gentlemen are comfortable enough for us.  

If you want to take Silversea the dress code is not that formal. A jacket and tie for men and cocktail dress for women will be fine. What I don't like is the fact the Muse and Spirit and future ships don't have a main dining room, just what you would call specialty restaurants, some requiring reservations some not however all have  menus each night that do not change, gets boaring. I prefer the style Regent uses.

Edited by hypercafe