is celebrity slipping, or is it human nature

Ktuluorion

We sailed on the Summit last year and had a great experience in terms of food and service, with the notable downside being entertainment.  Based on that experience,  we booked a voyage on the eclipse out of Hawaii later this month. 

I've been reading reviews on this site for the eclipse, and it seems like every one cites bad/tasteless food, nickle and diming, high prices,  and bad entertainment.  Other than the entertainment, this is why we moved to Celebrity from NCL.  

We are in AQ (and did the same on summit), but does anyone know if celebrity is really getting worse in this regard,  or is this just people being commissioned?  It is kind of concerning me with my upcoming cruise to see such a high number of negative reviews.  I understand that it's not the same as 10 years ago,  but can I expect good food and service, or has this gotten worse even in the last year?  Is the Eclipse the problem (bad staff on that particular ship)?

Any feedback is appreciated!  Just hoping we have a great time. 

I would guess that all these 'Negative Nancies' are not comparing like for like.

Of course, the mid-sized ships don't compete with the mass-market mega-ships like the Oasis class from RCCL or the Epic and Breakaway class from NCL. However, they still have a lot to offer. It all depends on what you're looking for.

FTR, we've sailed the Epic and Getaway and the larger (although not largest) RCCL ships and are looking for the more intimate atmosphere of the Eclipes in Alaska in August.

As for the food, that's really subjective, isn't it?

• Like 1

Just off the Eclipse last week.  Ship is beautiful, food and service were great.  Only issue was Internet was inconsistent when we were around Costa Rica & Mexico.

i don’t think you have anything to worry about. 

I think we have become far too spoiled (my wife and I) and our standards have certainly been raised over the years and we are certainly more critical which is our bad. Are cruise standards what they were 30 years ago ? No. Is Celebrity still a very good cruiseline by today’s standards ? Yes.

• Like 1

It's about expectations. Lower them and you won't have any problems.

Food may be subjective, but that's not why folks are complaining about it. It's because they expect high end food, but get little better than Olive Garden At Sea unless you go specialty restaurants which are still very good IMO.

Yes, quality can go down drastically in 18 months. We went from cheerleaders to choosing to go to an all inclusive after 3 Celebrity cruises in a year and a half.

Nickle and diming, nightly yard sales, and reduction of the entertainment budget are just part of cruising life. If you didn't get annoyed at them on your last cruise, you won't be annoyed by them this time around.

Cost is a problem of the cruise lines own making. They pretend you can get on board for an advertised price, which you can't actually do because they add on a bunch of other costs. They pretend they are competing with all inclusive's, when in reality they are more a hotel room with food. They call things free that aren't. Everyone who cruises know this in advance, but newbie's can be shocked at the all in price after they get home.

As for it's just complainers... it's really not. It's up to you to decide if what they are complaining about applies to you or not. Quite frankly, you should have a good time if you set your expectations properly and never have a need for customer service.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CRZR58 said:

It's about expectations. Lower them and you won't have any problems.

Food may be subjective, but that's not why folks are complaining about it. It's because they expect high end food, but get little better than Olive Garden At Sea unless you go specialty restaurants which are still very good IMO.

Yes, quality can go down drastically in 18 months. We went from cheerleaders to choosing to go to an all inclusive after 3 Celebrity cruises in a year and a half.

Nickle and diming, nightly yard sales, and reduction of the entertainment budget are just part of cruising life. If you didn't get annoyed at them on your last cruise, you won't be annoyed by them this time around.

Cost is a problem of the cruise lines own making. They pretend you can get on board for an advertised price, which you can't actually do because they add on a bunch of other costs. They pretend they are competing with all inclusive's, when in reality they are more a hotel room with food. They call things free that aren't. Everyone who cruises know this in advance, but newbie's can be shocked at the all in price after they get home.

As for it's just complainers... it's really not. It's up to you to decide if what they are complaining about applies to you or not. Quite frankly, you should have a good time if you set your expectations properly and never have a need for customer service.

Whoo - (moving into tongue and cheek mode, paraphrasing Seinfeld) No soup/cruise for you!

The food is still very good (subjective, I know) on Celebrity. Importantly, the food in the OVC is quite good and quite varied - I can't speak to the MDR, we tend to sail AQ. I have done RCCL in the last 2 years, and the OVC was head and shoulders above the buffet on RCCL (although not as large) and the MDR on RCCL was awful (we sailed with people who are dedicated Carnival cruisers, and they felt the food on Carnival was better, remember subjective).

I've never been to an all inclusive, so I'm not sure what you get there that you don't get on a cruise - alcohol, maybe? I assumed in an all-inclusive you still might have different categories of rooms - room vs suite, perhaps specialty restaurants - something additional to capture more of the guests' money! What you don't have in an all-inclusive is access to multiple ports, etc. It's just a different type of vacay.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yorky said:

I think we have become far too spoiled (my wife and I) and our standards have certainly been raised over the years and we are certainly more critical which is our bad. Are cruise standards what they were 30 years ago ? No. Is Celebrity still a very good cruiseline by today’s standards ? Yes.

This is probably true for many people.

Our first cruise was on 2008 with Costa. We had a great time, and I still remember it as probably the best cruise we ever had. Why? Because it was the first, and we had nothing to compare with. Then we sailed on Carnival, RCI, Celebrity, Cunard, HAL, Oceania and Azamara. Over the years we became more spoiled and notice things we would never notice 10 years ago.

For us, cruising is still the best vacation in terms of overall experience and value. And if some ships have slightly better food or entertainment than others, it's not that important if you come with the right attitude. So yes, I still believe X, HAL, Princess are still great choices, just don't expect the service or luxury that you get on Oceania or Azamara. 

• Like 1

I don't notice much difference now from our first Celebrity cruise in 2011.  Generally the food's been very good. Some cruises are better than others and we have had a few bad meals over the many cruises we've taken. But you can get a dissapointing meal any place so I don't let those rare duds bother me much. There are lots of people on these boards that focus way too much on the negative. 

• Like 1

The entertainment with celebrity I have found to Ben very poor compared to the likes of princess. 

We were on Connie in may and then again at Xmas and the same shows were on which was very dispointing. 

Weve never had a problem with the food always sale in AQ and love blu. 

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

If you set your standards low enough, you'll never be disappointed. Why expect too much, most people are only paying $200-$500 per day?

For $400 - $1000 per couple per day, I expect quite a lot!!!! Unfortunately what is frequently delivered does not meet those expectations and the cruise companies are deluding themselves if they believe it does, though that it the gist of your post.

3 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Whoo - (moving into tongue and cheek mode, paraphrasing Seinfeld) No soup/cruise for you!

The food is still very good (subjective, I know) on Celebrity. Importantly, the food in the OVC is quite good and quite varied - I can't speak to the MDR, we tend to sail AQ. I have done RCCL in the last 2 years, and the OVC was head and shoulders above the buffet on RCCL (although not as large) and the MDR on RCCL was awful (we sailed with people who are dedicated Carnival cruisers, and they felt the food on Carnival was better, remember subjective).

I've never been to an all inclusive, so I'm not sure what you get there that you don't get on a cruise - alcohol, maybe? I assumed in an all-inclusive you still might have different categories of rooms - room vs suite, perhaps specialty restaurants - something additional to capture more of the guests' money! What you don't have in an all-inclusive is access to multiple ports, etc. It's just a different type of vacay.

An all inclusive is much like a cruise.

You can still take a daily excursion if you want.

You can hang out by the pool, but you don't have to get there at 8 AM to get a chair.

You can go to the beach, but it doesn't cost you anything.

You can drink and you don't have to purchase a drink package.

You can get a 'Specialty' coffee, and you don't have to pay extra.

You can eat at the buffet and it's very much like the one on a cruise. You can go to one of several MDR's and they are all included. You can go to upgraded restaurants if you make a reservation. Some of them cost extra, some don't. If you want, you can go off site to any other restaurant you want as long as you pay. Some all inclusives have a stay at 1 party at more which allows you to visit other versions of the same company for free. Rooms are bigger. Booze in the fridge is free. All rooms have balconys.

We think X is taking it up a notch with EDGE and APEX...

Great art, hi tech if you want it....variety of  music ...great thermal suite and spa

IV cabins could be better but everything else is fresh!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CRZR58 said:

An all inclusive is much like a cruise.

You can still take a daily excursion if you want.

You can hang out by the pool, but you don't have to get there at 8 AM to get a chair.

You can go to the beach, but it doesn't cost you anything.

You can eat at the buffet and it's very much like the one on a cruise. You can go to one of several MDR's and they are all included. You can go to upgraded restaurants if you make a reservation. Some of them cost extra, some don't. If you want, you can go off site to any other restaurant you want as long as you pay. Some all inclusives have a stay at 1 party at more which allows you to visit other versions of the same company for free. Rooms are bigger. Booze in the fridge is free. All rooms have balconys.

Well, cruise has everything you described, but you also get to see new places almost every day.

And if you don't want to crowds at the pool, go on a smaller ship. If you don't want to pay extra for things, sail with cruise line that has all those things included.

And when comparing prices, make sure to compare apples to apples in terms of resort level.

An all inclusive is very much like a cruise.

You can still take a daily excursion if you want to pay for it. (There's a zip line, a bus tour, snorkelling, scuba, a boat ride, shopping, well pretty much everything that a cruise excursion might offer, but you get to do all of them on the same island)

Pools and beach games daily.

Want an adult only pool... no problem.

Usually non-motorized water sports are included, so you can take a sailboat or a wind surfer out for free. Snorkelling is also included, although you're gonna pay if you want to scuba.

You can go to the beach and it doesn't cost extra. Chairs, drinks and food are included.

You can eat at the buffet and it's very much like the one on a cruise.

The daily warm cookies at Sandals in the afternoon are to die for.

You can go to one of several MDR's and they are all included. You can go to upgraded restaurants if you make a reservation. 4 star+ AI's include 2 or 3 specialty restaurants a week. Some of them cost extra, some don't.

If you want, you can go off site to any other restaurant you want as long as you pay.

Some AI's have a stay at 1 vaca at more which allows you to visit other versions of the same

company for free, including transportation.

Packages include airfare and transfers to and from the property and resort fees.

Some AI's have tipping. Some don't. I don't know of any that add mandatory tips on top of the posted price, but they likely exist.

Rooms are bigger. Booze in the fridge is free. All rooms have balconies, which are also bigger.

If you don't like the bar(s) onsite, you simply go to on at a different location.

No nightly yard sale, but there is nightly entertainment. Don't like the entertainment you can go elsewhere.

Different categories of rooms for sure. You can pay extra to get a better room or to get the VIP experience, or to get nightly specialty restaurants or lately the resort within the resort experience.

Want the spa experience? AI's got it.

All this for less than a cruise when you're talking the door to door price, especially in Canada.

Things on a cruise you don't get at an AI...

Being on the water. (The #1 reason to cruise IMO)

Visiting a new port every day or two. (They all have pretty much the same excursions in the Caribbean)

1 minute ago, ak1004 said:

Well, cruise has everything you described, but you also get to see new places almost every day.

And if you don't want to crowds at the pool, go on a smaller ship. If you don't want to pay extra for things, sail with cruise line that has all those things included.

And when comparing prices, make sure to compare apples to apples in terms of resort level.

The point is that cruising and AI's are very much the same.

I've never been to an under 4 star AI. I'll never go to one either, as I've heard stories from folks who have. I'm assuming they are much like lower end cruises. Not something to compare with Celebrity or NCL or HAL or even MSC (I'm led to believe, I haven't been on it to say for sure).

13 minutes ago, CRZR58 said:

The point is that cruising and AI's are very much the same.

I've never been to an under 4 star AI. I'll never go to one either, as I've heard stories from folks who have. I'm assuming they are much like lower end cruises. Not something to compare with Celebrity or NCL or HAL or even MSC (I'm led to believe, I haven't been on it to say for sure).

We were on AI twice, once on 4 star once on 5 star, and were bored.

We are not big fans of just lying on the beach, and we don't drink. So except for taking couple tours on the island, it was just sitting most of the day on the pool, taking some walks in the area, and that's it. We were never bored on a cruise ship. Always something to do. If you don't go to the port, you have activities, enrichment lectures etc.

• Like 1

My first cruise on celebrity was solstice about 9 years ago , got free upgrade to a great aft sky suite , this was before suite lounge and restaurant. I thought food and service was terrible, service was so slow that some people left before entree showed up. Did sky suite again last year and last month food was great because of luminae and loved micheals. Entertainment was not good then and not good now. 

I love having opportunity cost, choice and the money to do things.  However, sometimes life does disappoint, but then again, being on a cruise and traveling from port to port is something that I really enjoy...especially in Europe due to all the history and culture.  I did the beach thing many years ago, so that is just not part of my personal agenda anymore.  

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

OP we have sailed the Eclipse twice.....first in 2012 and again in 2017.  On both cruises we had excellent service, thoroughly enjoyed the ship and had a fabulous time.  One person in our group of friends who cruised with us is quite a discerning traveller and has sailed many different cruise lines.  In his opinion, out of all the cruises he has sailed over the years he considered four of them "perfect" and one of those cruises was on the Eclipse!  Hope this helps, and have a great time  :)

10 hours ago, Ktuluorion said:

We sailed on the Summit last year and had a great experience in terms of food and service, with the notable downside being entertainment.  Based on that experience,  we booked a voyage on the eclipse out of Hawaii later this month. 

I've been reading reviews on this site for the eclipse, and it seems like every one cites bad/tasteless food, nickle and diming, high prices,  and bad entertainment.  Other than the entertainment, this is why we moved to Celebrity from NCL.  

We are in AQ (and did the same on summit), but does anyone know if celebrity is really getting worse in this regard,  or is this just people being commissioned?  It is kind of concerning me with my upcoming cruise to see such a high number of negative reviews.  I understand that it's not the same as 10 years ago,  but can I expect good food and service, or has this gotten worse even in the last year?  Is the Eclipse the problem (bad staff on that particular ship)?

Any feedback is appreciated!  Just hoping we have a great time. 

That's all on you. Ignore all reviews (positive and negative) and go on your Eclipse cruise with the same open mind you have on your other cruises.