Any Potential Problems w/ this scenario

Back story

Big family cruise planned

Grandma/Grandpa/Granddaughter in CL

Mom/Dad/2 boys 8 & 2 in Family room

Other Grandma and Grandpa in BL

Single uncle in own cabin paid single suppliment

Mom/Dad announce separation they cancel their portion of cruise. Grandma and Grandpa still want to take 8yo grandson. (Other Grandma and Grandpa cancel also)

We booked him in Uncles room (all we had to do was pay taxes& fees). Since uncle is single and will be staying out late, we want Grandson to stay with us in CL.

He will sleep in between Grandma and Grandpa upstairs, while Granddaughter has the fold out couch downstairs.

What potential problems do you foresee?

I don5 think any of my kids would’ve wanted to sleep in between DH and I at 8, never mind the grandparents. I still remember having to share a sofa bed with my grandmother at that age fir a couple of nights.

Anyone can sleep in any room they want....

I wouldn't worry about it.

But maybe you can convince mom & dad to go.

The cruise may get them back together.

It always works on the Love Boat....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Cherilo said:

Back story

Big family cruise planned

Grandma/Grandpa/Granddaughter in CL

Mom/Dad/2 boys 8 & 2 in Family room

Other Grandma and Grandpa in BL

Single uncle in own cabin paid single suppliment

Mom/Dad announce separation they cancel their portion of cruise. Grandma and Grandpa still want to take 8yo grandson. (Other Grandma and Grandpa cancel also)

We booked him in Uncles room (all we had to do was pay taxes& fees). Since uncle is single and will be staying out late, we want Grandson to stay with us in CL.

He will sleep in between Grandma and Grandpa upstairs, while Granddaughter has the fold out couch downstairs.

What potential problems do you foresee?

what problem do you think there could be? I see none

6 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

I do. 8 year kid sleeping between the grandparents. Poor kid. No bed is big enough for that.

Edited by davekathy

4 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

I don't see any that can't be overcome either. We just wanted new sets of eyes to look over.

We would have booked him into our cabin but that would have been close to $1500 for a 4th person.

The only issues we can see is of course separate Muster station. (He can do that with his Uncle and he will be banded in case of true emergency)

The main concern is that we are having a non-suite passenger stay with us in our suite. Will the cabin steward have an issue? (probably not). We have to get his luggage up to our cabin. (Again, a non-issue).

I will speak with the cabin steward, explain the situation. Maybe, just maybe, they might offer to bring in a roll away. (That would dang sure increase their gratuity 😉)

10 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Make sure you have paperwork including insurance completed for you to take children out of the country.  Need passports/or official ID, notarized parental permission, etc.  

Covered but thanks for the reminder.

17 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

But maybe you can convince mom & dad to go.

The cruise may get them back together.

It always works on the Love Boat....

He's already seen the error of his ways. He asked for a do over.

She said Nope, you made your bed now go lay in it.

13 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I do. 8 year kid sleeping between the grandparents. Poor kid. No bed is big enough for that.

Depends on situation. Know my Grand Daughter was 6-8 she regularly slept in between her Grandma's. At least 3-4 times a month. Not comfortable in most cases, but if it's been done before...

58 minutes ago, Cherilo said:

The main concern is that we are having a non-suite passenger stay with us in our suite. Will the cabin steward have an issue? (probably not).

The cabin steward won't care at all, especially if you tell him you're going to pay him the gratuities in cash that he would have received had the fourth person been booked into the suite.  

1 hour ago, Cherilo said:

We have to get his luggage up to our cabin. (Again, a non-issue).

No you don't.  Just put your room's luggage tags on it.  There is no limit to luggage on a cruise like there is for an airplane!

1 hour ago, Cherilo said:

I will speak with the cabin steward, explain the situation. Maybe, just maybe, they might offer to bring in a roll away. (That would dang sure increase their gratuity 😉)

I find it very likely that the cabin steward will bring in a rollaway bed if you request it. (They might not offer it on their own, but will undoubtedly do everything they can if you ask for one.) 

Another option, since we're talking about an 8yo child here, is to bring a simple air mattress (like you'd take in a pool) from home that the cabin steward could make up with sheets and a blanket and a pillow.  This would be easier to prop up against a wall out of the way during the daytime (although space won't be a problem in a Crown Loft), and offer more room and comfort for everyone to sleep.  

Bless you for making sure these kids still get their amazing vacation... they'll remember it forever!

• Like 2

I'm not sure if this is an issue or not, but if you try to use some of the CL perks and the 8 yr old GS isn't officially in the cabin, that might be an issue, since you could have chosen to pay to add him so he could have the perks....

how old is the GD?

If your Grandson is booked in the cabin with his Uncle, you might have to get the permission and notarized forms in HIS name to in order to board. Technically HE is the one bringing a minor child not his own on this cruise - not you. Just be very careful about the legalities here - wouldn't want to see you denied boarding. You might have to get TWO sets of forms done for him. 

On 5/19/2019 at 1:08 PM, Cherilo said:

He's already seen the error of his ways. He asked for a do over.

She said Nope, you made your bed now go lay in it.

Tell us the  back story on the situation..

Everyone wants to know....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Tell us the  back story on the situation..

Everyone wants to know....

We do not need the back story.

I do think it's sad that the other grandparents decided to cancel. IMO when a marriage/ partnership breaks down the kids need theirs grandparents even more.   

Edited by Bloodgem
  • Like 1