Tipping in the Bar

This might be a silly question but I just want to clarify before my cruise... all alcoholic drinks have an additional 18% gratuity attached... do you tip the bartender on top of that?  I didn't purchase any alcoholic beverages on my last cruise, so I am not sure how this works and I don't want to be stingy but I also don't want to overpay!! 

I generally find a bartender I like in each location of the ship that we frequent and give them an extra $1 per drink.  Even if they are busy a lot of times they will ask me if I want the usual while walking up to a packed bar and have it made before they move on to others.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Mallow said:

I generally find a bartender I like in each location of the ship that we frequent and give them an extra $1 per drink.  Even if they are busy a lot of times they will ask me if I want the usual while walking up to a packed bar and have it made before they move on to others.

Yes, this.  While we don't tip extra for every drink, we'll slip in a $5 here and there to those bartenders that go the extra mile for us.  It usually gets us a well made drink in short order.     

• Like 2

I rarely tip anything additional.  I am more apt to tip the server who finds me in a seating area around the bar.  That will usually keep them coming back pretty regularly so I don't have to wade through the crowd at the bar.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mallow said:

This. I also kick my favorites an extra $10-20 on the last night (dropping off at Guest Services if they're off when I go to the bar). I am a very good tipper at home, and usually get service on the ship that's on par with my favorite spots on land. So the extra cash in addition to the 18%* is well deserved.

* I get Cheers, where the breakeven is ~5 drinks. I typically hit around 10 per day, so that 18% just dropped to 9%, without even counting bottled waters and such.

• Like 3

We tip a dollar a drink. We found an awesome bartender in the lobby bar. I went down and got 2 martinis as we were getting ready for dinner. So I can carry to cabin she put the martinis in a tumbler as not to spill it. I saw her pour 6oz of Belvedere and 2 oz of vermouth, tipping works

Edited by coevan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, livingthedream1 said:

We purchase Cheers and will leave a $1 extra per round sometimes more and always get good service like the above mentioned the bartenders remember you and will make sure you get served.  

We always do this as well. Always had great service.

• Like 2

I do not give anything extra to anyone but maybe the room steward for taking an extra step for our needs. 18% and now many are 20% is enough. I also found out, if you have the drink package. Every time you use it. They still get the 18%. I have always had great service. If any are excellent, I will make sure I get there name and put it on the review. They appreciate that more than a dollar. Positive reviews are greatly appreciated and helps with there advancement. I am not saying do not do it. It is your money and your choice for sure. I am sure the more money you give the better the service. I have no idea how much better it can be than what I receive. As I mentioned. I am very happy with the service as is. Just my thoughts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

I do not give anything extra to anyone but maybe the room steward for taking an extra step for our needs. 18% and now many are 20% is enough. I also found out, if you have the drink package. Every time you use it. They still get the 18%. I have always had great service. If any are excellent, I will make sure I get there name and put it on the review. They appreciate that more than a dollar. Positive reviews are greatly appreciated and helps with there advancement. I am not saying do not do it. It is your money and your choice for sure. I am sure the more money you give the better the service. I have no idea how much better it can be than what I receive. As I mentioned. I am very happy with the service as is. Just my thoughts.

What do you mean by "every time you use it they still get 18%?" You pay 18% of the package cost up front which is split among all of the bartenders. So if you buy the package you pay $363.93 over 7 days for the package, that's what your 18% is based off of. If you drink $546 worth of alcohol, you actually only tipped like 13%

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 8

We usually go sit at the Alchemy bar for awhile and drink..so we don't tip per drink but when we get our last drink of the evening, we'll put out $10-15 extra.

This upcoming cruise, we have Cheers for the first time but we'll handle it the same way.

Edited by BellaSweet
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

What do you mean by "every time you use it they still get 18%?" You pay 18% of the package cost up front which is split among all of the bartenders. So if you buy the package you pay $363.93 over 7 days for the package, that's what your 18% is based off of. If you drink $546 worth of alcohol, you actually only tipped like 13%

I was told that by a waiter taking my order. I am only repeating what he told me.

6 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

I will make sure I get there name and put it on the review. They appreciate that more than a dollar.

I highly doubt this, cash is king. We still write their name for good service. 

• Like 5

I tip an extra $1 per drink, nearly every time...whether I'm on Cheers or paying by-the-drink.   I cruise a lot, and these bartenders work so hard...seems worth it.  Plus it definitely helps get faster service!

I do not tip anything extra by default. I have not been able to quantify that I'm getting slower service or less alcohol by doing so. With the forced 18% gratuity (the way it should be), they are doing just fine. I may give a few extra bucks eventually to someone I really liked.

Had Cheers on my last cruise three weeks ago. I nearly always got a drink fairly quickly unless there were clearly people waiting before me. Obviously, spend your money as you see fit. Giving tips is a great reward for the employees who work so hard. I don't buy for one second that it makes you bar royalty and/or is going to give you this huge return.

29 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I do not tip anything extra by default. I have not been able to quantify that I'm getting slower service or less alcohol by doing so. With the forced 18% gratuity (the way it should be), they are doing just fine. I may give a few extra bucks eventually to someone I really liked.

Had Cheers on my last cruise three weeks ago. I nearly always got a drink fairly quickly unless there were clearly people waiting before me. Obviously, spend your money as you see fit. Giving tips is a great reward for the employees who work so hard. I don't buy for one second that it makes you bar royalty and/or is going to give you this huge return.

I agree....you may think you are getting better/quicker service, but there is no actual proof.  But everyone is free to tip as much and as often as they like and if you feel you are being served better/quicker then all is good.

We don't tip extra per drink and we always have a drink package on whatever cruise line we are on but at the end of the cruise we will tip out our favorite bartenders a decent amount

17 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

I was told that by a waiter taking my order. I am only repeating what he told me.

I think you misunderstood what your waiter said or the waiter was new and didn’t understand Carnival’s rules. Even without a drink package, the waiter/bartender does not get the entire 18% tip.  

• Like 1

Any of you actual bartenders? Let me tell you from working in the restaurant industry and knowing 100s of bartenders - cash is king and niceness doesn't hurt. TIPPING affects your service. Don't kid yourself. Everyone gets good service but if you tip well, you get better service.

Go to a Bartender group on Facebook and look at what they honestly say.....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1