Tip Maitre di for a desired table

garardo

We always prefer a table for 2. The reason is I am a Certified Sommelier and we end up with the Cellar Master, Food and Beverage Director, and others visiting our table. We find that some of the 2 tops are only inches away from each other. I do not like to intrude in the space of other guests when we get visitors. Our plan is to patrol the MDR when we board and look for more of a secluded table  and request that table for the rest of the trip.   Would it help secure our table selection with a tip to the Maitre di. If so how much would be appropriate? 

3 minutes ago, garardo said:

We always prefer a table for 2. The reason is I am a Certified Sommelier and we end up with the Cellar Master, Food and Beverage Director, and others visiting our table. We find that some of the 2 tops are only inches away from each other. I do not like to intrude in the space of other guests when we get visitors. Our plan is to patrol the MDR when we board and look for more of a secluded table  and request that table for the rest of the trip.   Would it help secure our table selection with a tip to the Maitre di. If so how much would be appropriate? 

We also prefer a table for two, always request one, have always been given one and have never had to tip extra for a desired table (although at the end of the cruise we often tip the maître d extra). We make it a habit of visiting our dining venue immediately upon embarkation and meeting with the maitre d. Only once have we needed to change the location and he was both willing and able to make the adjustment. I'd suggest that you do the same, don't wait until dinner service when they are crazy busy. Good luck and have a wonderful cruise.

We just finished our Infinity cruise to the Med and we requested table 202, which is a two top directly in front of the lower staircase with no tables on either side of us and one table of eight in front of us (at least 6 feet away).  We received it for the entire 11 nights at 630pm.  We had chosen Select Dining for 700pm (pre-reserved prior to cruise), but we were willing to change our time to secure that table.  This is an M class ship and I don't know  if you're booked on M or S class.  It's a great table for 2......very private.

13 minutes ago, Toftwood said:

Just curious to know how you knew the table number to ask for........were you a previous passenger on that ship?

Every table has a card on a small stand with the number as well as the names of the server, assistant server and wine steward.

9 minutes ago, mom says said:

Every table has a card on a small stand with the number as well as the names of the server, assistant server and wine steward.

Table numbers often may vary from one cruise to the next depending on the passenger dining preferences, so it's always best to go the dining room to check.

"Our plan is to patrol the MDR when we board"

That might be difficult.  A portion of the MDR will be open at lunchtime on boarding day for the Concierge Class passengers (and back to back passengers) lunch.  But the rest of it will be closed off.  If you are not Concierge Class, I doubt if they would even let you into that area.  

1 hour ago, wpgcycler said:

giraffe-eating-popcorn.gif

Love this one!

Tipping ( bribing?) ahead to my mind would be wrong. The maitre d will do their best to make all guests happy...even  self proclaimed Celebrities!  If service is excellent,  a tip of appreciation  would be ok...not required.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

What ship will you be on? Makes a difference. Will you be in Select or Traditional Dining? Also makes a difference. The Maitre 'd will most likely not be available until the first dinner seating and they are very busy the first evening. Call Celebrity for any special requests. A tip would be totally inappropriate.

Edited by Orator
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, garardo said:

My opinion would be that an up front "tip" would probably do very little to help you secure your table selection.  As a  Certified Sommelier I am assuming you have extensive experience in the hospitality/food and beverage industry and are aware how an up front tip is often construed as a bribe for an employee to do "what is right"; an affront to their professionalism. There is also the issue that the table you deem to be suitable for you, may already be assigned to another couple...now the Maitre D' has a dilemna as to which guest should receive the table.  A much more professional approach would be to ask the Maitre D' to recommend a suitable table once you have explained the circumstances.  Then it would be appropriate to express your appreciation in a suitable manner.  Just my thoughts, FWIW.

Edited by ScubesDad
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, Orator said:

What ship will you be on? Makes a difference. Will you be in Select or Traditional Dining? Also makes a difference. The Maitre 'd will most likely not be available until the first dinner seating and they are very busy the first evening. Call Celebrity for any special requests. A tip would be totally inappropriate.

Are they no longer stationed somewhere outside the MDR during embarkation to deal with dining requests?  Have been in Luminae the last few years but before that we always met with them right after boarding to go over DW dietary requirements.  Many other people looking for dining time changes and table changes.

4 hours ago, hcat said:

Love this one!

Tipping ( bribing?) ahead to my mind would be wrong. The maitre d will do their best to make all guests happy...even  self proclaimed Celebrities!  If service is excellent,  a tip of appreciation  would be ok...not required.

I agree. We are always Select Dining. Often times the hostess, I don't think she is an assistant  maitre'd, is at the podium around 3 or 4PM and people are lined up trying to get either real early seating like 530 or 7-730, which is the most requested time. I get in line and my wife checks out the tables  for two and finds one to request. It helps that we want 845. Last several cruises we come in after the 830 crush and she just waives us through. On the last day we gave $20 on a seven day and $40 on a 13 day.

Edited by sasset
clarification

7 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Are they no longer stationed somewhere outside the MDR during embarkation to deal with dining requests?  Have been in Luminae the last few years but before that we always met with them right after boarding to go over DW dietary requirements.  Many other people looking for dining time changes and table changes.

They are usually stationed in the Lounge, Port side on the M Class ships and inside the MDR on Deck 3 Port side on the S class ships, but they may not be able to accomodate to specific needs of the OP since tables that meet the OP's needs may already have been assigned. Select dining may be a better option. On S Class ships there are tables on deck 4 at the top of the stairs that can work and M Class has tables against the wall on deck 4 that might work. I often use these tables as we tend to get "visitors".

1 hour ago, Orator said:

They are usually stationed in the Lounge, Port side on the M Class ships and inside the MDR on Deck 3 Port side on the S class ships, but they may not be able to accomodate to specific needs of the OP since tables that meet the OP's needs may already have been assigned. Select dining may be a better option. On S Class ships there are tables on deck 4 at the top of the stairs that can work and M Class has tables against the wall on deck 4 that might work. I often use these tables as we tend to get "visitors".

I was reacting to your statement "The Maitre 'd will most likely not be available until the first dinner seating ".    Agree I've found most requests may take a day or so to accommodate.

IMO tip generously after your request successfully gets you the table that you wanted.  Then this is less like a bribe which might not be considered fair to some of your fellow passengers.  

• Like 2

I note that the original poster is from Las Vegas, where upfront "tipping" (bribe) is de rigueur but seems to be in conflict with the ambiance onboard. Although the maître d' may accept a tip, it might create a moral dilemma for him/her; this would not be the case in Las Vegas. I hate to drag out that tired overused expression, but it seems appropriate here: "What happens in Vegas....."

OP - It would be interesting to read your comments about the F & B operations when you return.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, ScubesDad said:

My opinion would be that an up front "tip" would probably do very little to help you secure your table selection.  As a  Certified Sommelier I am assuming you have extensive experience in the hospitality/food and beverage industry and are aware how an up front tip is often construed as a bribe for an employee to do "what is right"; an affront to their professionalism. There is also the issue that the table you deem to be suitable for you, may already be assigned to another couple...now the Maitre D' has a dilemna as to which guest should receive the table.  A much more professional approach would be to ask the Maitre D' to recommend a suitable table once you have explained the circumstances.  Then it would be appropriate to express your appreciation in a suitable manner.  Just my thoughts, FWIW.

I think this is a perfect answer!

The proposed idea of trying to get a good table is not nearly as manipulative as the OP needs. If the OP is that popular with the ship's bigwigs, I would think having a really crappy table could result in an invitation to dine with them!  JK!

Edited by mayleeman

10 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

The proposed idea of trying to get a good table is not nearly as manipulative as the OP needs. If the OP is that popular with the ship's bigwigs, I would think having a really crappy table could result in an invitation to dine with them!  JK!

Or he could simply contact one of his "friends" and have them get the table. I frequently contact an F&B Manager or a Restaurant Operations Manager to get us our favorite table. I do this well before the cruise date.

• Like 1