Off Breeze Today May Cancel Mardi Gras (cutbacks)

Cruisegirl6

Hello,

We just got off the Breeze today and noticed more cutbacks since our last cruise on Carnival this past February.  Carnival has the upcoming court date which the best thing that would happen to them is only paying high penalty costs/fees, but we are hearing more things that Carnival has done that we never heard of, but perhaps others have, but it sure doesn't look good for Carnival.  

They will be needing to make up all that money, so I would think the costs for cruises will go up in price and of course Carnival would have even more cutbacks, that us the people will be paying for because of their "issues"/

We are booked as a family of 18 so far, the sailing on the Mardi Gras, October 16, 2020.  Fortunately, I have paid the insurance but my daughter and her fb and my son/daughter in law and grandkids as well as other family members,  did not, which means from what I read in our documents we loose the entire deposit and I don't want that for them.  I did think, if Carnival is  found guilty and have to pay a high amount of sum of money for their "issues", I would have no respect for Carnival and wonder if there would be another legal way to get out of the upcoming cruise and get back all of our money????  I don't want to give a company that has done so many wrongly things any business and if they are found guilty to more wrong doings, I really feel they should refund the depsit costs to us.  

Is there anybody else out there that feel the way we do, or have any doubts/concerns about their upcoming cruises after the court hearing?  

• Thanks 1

You just got off Breeze and now you don’t want to give business to Carnival?  The “trouble” Carnival is in is old news.  I don’t understand why you had no issue sailing on Breeze, but now you have an issue on possibly sailing on Mardi Gras?  I just reread your post again and it still doesn’t make sense to me. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

Even with insurance, your reason for cancelling is not covered.  So no, there is no way to recoup the  nonrefundable deposit costs for any of your group.

If this concern of yours merits the deposit loss, then you should consider cancelling while that is your only expense.  Otherwise, if you make final payment and then cancel , or go on the cruise and are further disappointed beyond the experience you just had, your groups costs will be much higher than what they are today.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, wesorbeth said:

What cutbacks? You didn't specify anything.

True, even given the OP's lengthy follow up post. I too would like specifics as to the noticeable cutbacks they observed on their most recent cruise on Breeze. And/or what specifically they were told by Carnival staff as to what's coming.

Edited by joepeka
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, cherylandtk said:

Even with insurance, your reason for cancelling is not covered.  So no, there is no way to recoup the  nonrefundable deposit costs for any of your group.

If this concern of yours merits the deposit loss, then you should consider cancelling while that is your only expense.  Otherwise, if you make final payment and then cancel , or go on the cruise and are further disappointed beyond the experience you just had, your groups costs will be much higher than what they are today.

I agree with this.  Just cancel and accept giving up the deposits.  That is the cheapest way out of your situation since you do not want to sail on Carnival again.  I had to cancel a cruise one time that had a non-refundable deposit.  It's painful, but not the end of the world  Much cheaper than cancelling after the final payment.

• Like 2

Just sailed last month on the Sunrise and the only cutback I noticed was in our cabin....they now have a pencil vs. an inkpen.  lol.  We haven't noticed anything that hampers or makes our cruise less enjoyable.  We are platinum so have cruise quite a bit on CCL (about 3 in past year and coming up we have three,  one in August, September and January,  and the one in January will be on the Breeze) I'm sure others will find cutbacks that are more upsetting to them, and we sail NCL, too and they have had their own cutbacks, etc.,  but again nothing that makes our cruise less enjoyable. Maybe you will have a better experience on the Mardi Gra.  Happy cruising.

• Like 1

CruiseGirl6,

I look forward to reading your review to find out about the cutbacks to which you refer.  Also, I've noticed that you have stopped "shouting" your thread titles and for that I sincerely thank you.:classic_smile:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I would not get worked up on this issue. Other cruise lines have also had similar issues.The court will just fine CCL more money, along with warnings.The judicatory system and Carnival will work it out behind close door, before it gets to the public.

Edited by Garf
  • Like 2

MightyMike- Exactly, Royal Caribbean is blowing away what they offer compare to what you get on Carnival.  We also very much prefer RC but realized being on the Breeze, how much we miss what RC offers and then there is the fact, why would I want to support a cruise line that keeps doing wrong/illegal actions especially when they are on probation?  Its only going to get worse, and they just be cutting back more to compensate for all they have lost/paid.  Trust me, its going to get worse and the people are the ones who will feel it.  The employees on the ship ARE worried.

Just a few items to mention:

The hot food selections in the lunch buffet were cut in half compared to what was offered last year, and they only had one meat carving which was embarkation day and never had another meat carving.

Salad bar offerings were cut in half.  I used to love their salad bar, but its so scarce now that I didn't find myself making a salad there.

Bacon in the breakfast buffet was nearly not available.  They would have somebody serving the bacon and there were only I would say 24 slices of bacon each time they placed the bacon in the pan to individually serve to the passengers.  What happened, that was only enough to serve to about 12 people, then the rest had to wait another 15 minutes for them to replace the bacon again with around 16-24 slices and the same thing kept repeating, causing huge huge long lines for breakfast.  It was the bacon that held up the lines and everybody complained, I would say we averaged 22 minutes on line to get breakfast each morning.

There is no longer assorted rolls for breakfast and no English muffins although they did have eggs Benedict that the English muffin was soggy of butter/sauce. The only bread was plain white toast and plain toasted bagel. People were complaining the pancakes/waffles were always undercooked and to get some butter they place it in a large tub so if you miss getting butter you have to get right back into that line again.

Yes, pens were taken away in the cabin and replaced with a small pencil which was fine to me.  

They took away the umbrella's for the drinks (this didn't bother me)

If you want a straw you always had to ask for one as most of the time they were not around to reach for, but we never were denied a straw, just make sure to ask for one when you order a drink.

Waiters are serving more people now, they are overworked but do the best job they can.

Cabin Stewards are working harder as there are fewer now.  This must be the reason why we are asked whether we want am/pm service but was offered both which we had.

Pizza crust was so think now that when you pick up a slice it literally bend over and the cheese run off of it.

Edited by Cruisegirl6
  • Haha 1

I will be posting a review in the next day or two, and there are positives of course, we had a nice time.

Whose idea was it to book the Mardi Gras = my sister in law, she loves new ships and thought it be nice to have a full family reunion together.  We all agreed, we all guilty but didn't now the trouble Carnival is in when we booked a few months ago.  We had to book I believe the ship is full.

The reason that you had no straws may be because they are plastic.  Walk any beach and see how many plastic straws there are.  A lot of restaurants and bars on beaches have either switched to paper straws or stopping giving them altogether.  

• Like 2

Hmm, I have been on 13 Carnival cruises since 2014 and here are things I have noticed.

They got rid of the tasteless chocolate candies that I never ate.

Fewer bartenders asking me if I want anything every 3 seconds.

A pen replaced with a pencil.

Free toothpaste of a brand I don't prefer is no longer there.

The Platinum gift that costs no money is not as good as before. 

New things that I do get:

A free photo on almost every cruise. A spa gift certificate/discount on most cruises, half price drinks during happy hour at Red Frog Pub, a selection of hot fried food items available through room service for a small upcharge, pizza delivery available, a new App with the ability to book excursions without flipping through the awful TV menu, view dinner menus, activities, weather, account balance, a messaging app, the ability to have low cost access to Facebook to keep in touch back home from the middle of the ocean, new excursion offerings, different shows, and more.

So yeah, things change. But most of the bad things that change are so minor and people forget all of the new things that are available. 

Edited by Doggielover68
  • Like 12

We started cruising in 2001, yes, there have been changes and some I don't like but we still have a great time on CCL ships.  I agree with Doggielover68, the things they added have improved the cruise experience.  Back in 2001 the water slides were small with one curve, no Guys, no Punchliner, no Divein movies, no priority embarkation, debarkation, water shuttle etc.  The changes are just that, changes.  The only change that I wish didn't happen is the staffing ratio.  But I understand that too, because like my industry, most businesses are in "the do more with less" model.  If CCL started to charge for the water slides, Guys, Punchliner, etc I may change my opinion, but until then I will enjoy my time on a Carnival Cruise Ship with my wife relaxing on my balcony. 

Edited by JMAE
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

MightyMike- Exactly, Royal Caribbean is blowing away what they offer compare to what you get on Carnival.  We also very much prefer RC but realized being on the Breeze, how much we miss what RC offers and then there is the fact, why would I want to support a cruise line that keeps doing wrong/illegal actions especially when they are on probation?  Its only going to get worse, and they just be cutting back more to compensate for all they have lost/paid.  Trust me, its going to get worse and the people are the ones who will feel it.  The employees on the ship ARE worried.

Just a few items to mention:

The hot food selections in the lunch buffet were cut in half compared to what was offered last year, and they only had one meat carving which was embarkation day and never had another meat carving.

Salad bar offerings were cut in half.  I used to love their salad bar, but its so scarce now that I didn't find myself making a salad there.

Bacon in the breakfast buffet was nearly not available.  They would have somebody serving the bacon and there were only I would say 24 slices of bacon each time they placed the bacon in the pan to individually serve to the passengers.  What happened, that was only enough to serve to about 12 people, then the rest had to wait another 15 minutes for them to replace the bacon again with around 16-24 slices and the same thing kept repeating, causing huge huge long lines for breakfast.  It was the bacon that held up the lines and everybody complained, I would say we averaged 22 minutes on line to get breakfast each morning.

There is no longer assorted rolls for breakfast and no English muffins although they did have eggs Benedict that the English muffin was soggy of butter/sauce. The only bread was plain white toast and plain toasted bagel. People were complaining the pancakes/waffles were always undercooked and to get some butter they place it in a large tub so if you miss getting butter you have to get right back into that line again.

Yes, pens were taken away in the cabin and replaced with a small pencil which was fine to me.  

They took away the umbrella's for the drinks (this didn't bother me)

If you want a straw you always had to ask for one as most of the time they were not around to reach for, but we never were denied a straw, just make sure to ask for one when you order a drink.

Waiters are serving more people now, they are overworked but do the best job they can.

Cabin Stewards are working harder as there are fewer now.  This must be the reason why we are asked whether we want am/pm service but was offered both which we had.

Pizza crust was so think now that when you pick up a slice it literally bend over and the cheese run off of it.

My wife and I got off the Breeze on May 4th and we booked it again yesterday for next September.  Plus, we have two more cruises before then. 

There was always plenty of bacon when we went to the buffet.  I can't speak to the waffles and pancakes since I don't eat those.  But I can say the salad was certainly one thing that was in abundance.  I ate a large salad every day for dinner.   There were always plenty of offerings like: multiple types of lettuces and mixed greens, radishes, cucumbers, carrots, onions, various meat toppings, cheeses and more than I can think of to list.  They also had caesar salad, potato salad, macaroni salad, and beans.  I am not sure what has changed in three weeks, but there were plenty of salad options when we were there.

As far as the pizza crust, it has been that thin for a while.  Some of us really prefer it that way.

Yes, they have removed pens.  But not having a pen certainly doesn't make or break a cruise for me.

Yes, they do have fewer room stewards now.  That has been discussed on previous posts here in depth.  However, We definitely can say that our steward did a great job and we never lacked for anything we needed or asked for.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Is there anybody else out there that feel the way we do, or have any doubts/concerns about their upcoming cruises after the court hearing?  

No doubts/concerns at all. Two booked, still going.

• Like 1

Jimbo5544-  I didn't post review, somebody posted about what cutbacks, and just gave some examples.  Review will be here in a day or two.  Yes, I liked the Elation, in fact, we prefer the Elation over the Breeze...we think that the Fantasy class ships have a much better layout and not making us feel like there is too many people and in traffic jams.  The only negative about the Elation is she didn't have the steakhouse, but we did like her much better over the Breeze, as well, as all other Carnival ships we been on.

Phillyfan-  Yes, didn't know everything, I really don't listen to the news for over a year and half now, I think you can guess why.  But I was shocked when I heard that Carnival repeatedly made additional environmental violations when they were already on probation...I guess I am the type of person that likes to go by the book and do things right and have a clean conscious, perhaps the reason why I taking this issue serious??

Yes, other cruise lines have violated environmental issues, but when you think of it, Carnival owns most of them too, but nobody has done hundreds of more violations while being on probation.

Plastic straw or no straw the solution is paper straws!!

I just thought there was a lack of "healthy" type foods.  I did get a chicken sandwich on that pretzel bread and was so much looking forward to enjoying it, but there was only two tiny pieces of turkey, the tomatoes were all soggy and the bun was filled of what appeared as a sauce or butter but it was so soggy there was no way I could eat it neverless enjoy it.  There is too much wasted food and I now know why,  I just can't blame the people not eating it (excluding those whose eyes are bigger than their belly )the food and wasting it, I had to do it myself and it really bothered me, although I just took a tablespoon and tried it, if I wanted more I can always go back.  There was not alot of selection when it came to "hot foods", in fact, there was a lack of selection in the salad area and only one day a hot vegetable was served and it was the collard greens and very very good I may add, liked to see a vegetable or two on the lunch buffet daily.