San Basilio cruise terminal accident Sun 2 June

Lynnewob

13 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

30,277 before the addition of extra staterooms on deck 4.

Obviously I was mistaken, but I had thought that ships the size of Azamara were the biggest allowed to dock at San Basilio and was more than a little surprised to see a ship the size and weight of MSC Opera in Guidecca Canal.

If memory serves me right, that was the proposal at one point and then got overturned very quickly allowing up to 90,000s... so cruise ships put their smaller ships on the Venice Route..ie the M Class from Celebrity, then that got overturned too leaving no limit but the cruise industry (CLIA)  said, thanks but no thanks and make up your freaking mind,  we'll stick to the 90,000s as our schedules are set and most have stuck with that until now. 

Yes. Captain Gianmario did not say Azamara would be allowed in he said Journey would be just over 30000 tons and he hoped that margin would be ok. 

Actually at this stage no one knows 

8 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

30,277 before the addition of extra staterooms on deck 4.

Obviously I was mistaken, but I had thought that ships the size of Azamara were the biggest allowed to dock at San Basilio and was more than a little surprised to see a ship the size and weight of MSC Opera in Guidecca Canal.

When we were docked at San Basilio in Venice a large Aida ship came past us in the Giudecca canal, making its way up to the Maritima dock. It didn’t dock at San Basilio, but did come up it. 

2 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

When we were docked at San Basilio in Venice a large Aida ship came past us in the Giudecca canal, making its way up to the Maritima dock. It didn’t dock at San Basilio, but did come up it. 

It is almost unbelievable that a local Pilot would guide a ship of that size unnecessarily through Guidecca Canal to the Maritima Dock! 😖

Just now, Baynanno1 said:

It is almost unbelievable that a local Pilot would guide a ship of that size unnecessarily through Guidecca Canal to the Maritima Dock! 😖

This has always been the usual route to the Marittima dock. The ship just went out of control. Looking at the video the tugs attached could do nothing. I've been on the larger Celebrity ships a few times into Venice and there were always tugs attached as a "safety measure". Local rule. It's now obvious from the videos that this was completely useless. 

The Italian authorities have been dragging their feet for ages on Venice and cruise ships, but now something will happen I'm sure. I loved the place and the sail in and out the first couple of times and you have to go there and see it, but I'm so over it now. It's too crowded and touristy. It's a shame for the locals who continue to be squeezed out. 

Phil 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

14 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

My comment in post #29 was in response to Denise's comment in post #28.

2 hours ago, Azamarajunkie said:

It has indeed, we are due to join the Pursuit tomorrow and are currently in the Palacio Venezia hotel next to the San Basilio Terminal unfortunately. We are now planning our route to the revised berthing position in Marittima. 

How do you like the hotel?  We are booked to stay there shortly.

I hope you have a lovely holiday.

Beautiful, there are three of us and we have a lovely room with a mezzanine floor for the third person which has its own en-suite (room 204) which we booked as a triple room expecting a single bed in the same room. Very nice indeed, yet to have the included breakfast but were told it is a very good buffet.   Very handy for San Basilio, if only MSC Opera hadn’t ruined that experience☹️

Edited by Azamarajunkie
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Azamarajunkie said:

I can now confirm, the breakfast buffet at the Palazzo Veneziano is beyond belief, it is excellent and there is a nice courtyard to sit in. There is also included Prosecco for early morning Bucks Fizz etc.

But did you enjoy the chocolate cake?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Azamarajunkie said:

I can now confirm, the breakfast buffet at the Palazzo Veneziano is beyond belief, it is excellent and there is a nice courtyard to sit in. There is also included Prosecco for early morning Bucks Fizz etc.

Sounds fantastic, thank you so much for letting me know.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Re: Embarkation on 10 June

This has been put on Azamara's website about the change of embarkation terminal in Venice.

This notice is to confirm a recent change regarding your embarkation of Azamara Pursuit in Venice Monday, June 10, 2019.

After a closer review of the guests’ experience, and ease of access, at San Basilio-- without shuttle service-- a decision was made to change the embarkation terminal.

Therefore, we have moved the embarkation dock for Azamara Pursuit to Terminal 18 in the Marittima Port.

Securing the dock at Marittima will ensure a better experience for you on Monday. While we apologize for the last-minute nature of this notice, rest assured it was necessary to meet our commitment to your safety, convenience, and enjoyment ashore.

Once again, this change does not impact your voyage or travel arrangements in any way. It’s simply a new embarkation location.

Below is a map highlighting the new embarkation location at Marittima, relative to San Basilio.

Should you have any questions please contact us as soon as possible at 1-855-AZAMARA, and press option 3.

Thank you for your kind understanding and for choosing Azamara.
We look forward to welcoming you aboard in Venice.

9 hours ago, Werangels said:

I understand there is a demonstration n Venice tomorrow.  http://enimerosi.com/details_en.php?id=33390

Thanks for this, Werangels - it's an interesting article.  The people are gathering to protest on behalf of residents, ecosystems, and cultural heritage.  "The Italian Government will announce a solution by 30 June."  Hoping...

We passed the site of the accident when arriving in Venice on Pursuit on Thursday.  There is certainly a chunk of concrete missing from the dock.  The river boat has a tarpaulin over its bow but appeared to have passengers onboard  The MSC ship was docked at Maritima

I would certainly prefer to have been docked at San Basilio.  The wording on the communication from Azamara appears to suggest that Maritima is better for passengers rather than that they had to change because of the accident there.  This would appear to be P R speak, as the San Basilio location has always previously been sold as a benefit to Azamara passengers.  The concierge onboard was unaware of the change on the day before arrival. The vaporetto stop at San Basilio appeared to be unaffected.

Our taxi driver to the airport yesterday spoke at length about the possible solutions for Venice and the cruise ships.  He felt that the huge amount of monetary benefit gained from the cruise ships would be the dominating factor.  One of the solutions which he preferred was to dig a channel for cruise ships to dock at the industrial refinery  port area you can see from Maritima.  There are docks there for tankers already.  This would take some years but the cost would be less than many of the other solutions proposed.  He said there was a special fleet of large vaporettos which could be used to give all passengers a free sail by St Marks Square instead of the cruise ships using that entrance to the Guidecca Canal.  The other proposed solutions would be even more costly according to our taxi driver. 

I hope that a solution can be found but perhaps not in my lifetime whilst the revenues from the cruise industry are so huge.  The charity Venice in Peril was formed after the great floods in the 1960s and I remember the black and white TV programs of the time (anyone recall John Julius Norwich) vividly portraying the terrible problems.   

Thanks Pam for that information. I hope you enjoyed the cruise (without me!) and I will ring you over the weekend. 

I also found it interesting that the change of San Basilio to Marittima port was put forward as a benefit to guests by Azamara on the website when clearly it was due to the MSC incident. 

Why can't PR people just speak the truth? 

21 minutes ago, Lottie A said:

Thanks Pam for that information. I hope you enjoyed the cruise (without me!) and I will ring you over the weekend. 

I also found it interesting that the change of San Basilio to Marittima port was put forward as a benefit to guests by Azamara on the website when clearly it was due to the MSC incident. 

Why can't PR people just speak the truth? 

I think it is actually true to say that docking just about anywhere except a dock with a chunk missing, which may be roped off or partially barricaded, or have more damage under the water line, is beneficial to the passengers.  If both docks were in equally good condition, that would be different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lisiamc said:

I think it is actually true to say that docking just about anywhere except a dock with a chunk missing, which may be roped off or partially barricaded, or have more damage under the water line, is beneficial to the passengers.  If both docks were in equally good condition, that would be different.

Of course it would.

My point (and Mrs. Miggins) was that it was not marketed like that on the Azamara website at all. The PR spin said it was an advantage to the passengers to debark and embark for the next cruise at Marittima dock whereas Azamara have always said that the San Basilio berth is more convenient to get into central Venice.  

Why not just say "due to the MSC incident at San Basilio, unfortunately we have had to change our berth to Marittima for the next two cruises". Job done. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I think the fact that the shuttle bus was not able to operate at San Basilio and it is a long walk for those with mobility issues may also have played a part in the decision.

San Basilio has never had a shuttle service. You can get there with a taxi or vaporetto. Marittima is not easier to get to, but I suppose they run a shuttle within the port like in Civittavechia. Last time we departed from Marittima we used a taxi, just like we would at San Basilio. No need for Azamara to give any other reasons for moving than San Basilio not available.