Crossing the Equator

bobstheboy

We will be on board the Regal in Nov 2020 when the Regal will cross the Equator on our way to Sydney. Anyone had this experience on  board a Princess ship ? I assume there will be a deck party.

Edited by bobstheboy
Typo
  • Like 1

Yes, there is. Lots of silliness, think bedsheet togas, whipped cream and fruit tossed over the volunteer pollywogs by Neptune.

Certificates of the crossing for everyone, plus they toot the horn as the bow and stern cross the exact 0 latitude mark.

• Thanks 1

Yes, an event, more that a party. Some passengers that have never crossed the equator will be selected in advance to participate in the traditional silliness, kiss a fish, slimed with pudding and more. If you want to be one of the participants let the CD staff know early on. I've seen this 4 times. Some of the events are more tame than others. I think in all the 4 events I have seen a few crew members selected to represent all crew that have not crossed the equator. We received certificates in our cabins.

King Neptune presides over the ceremony.  In the past you also received a certificate saying that you graduated from being a slimy “Pollywog” (someone who never crossed the equator) to a “Shellback” (a trusted seaman)!!

It amazes me that, on a ship where even shaking hands is discouraged due to spreading germs, a bunch of people will kiss the same dang fish. Hi there! I have a cold or incipient noro. Want to kiss this fish that I just kissed? Ewwwww...  Of course I can't imagine kissing the Blarney Stone either.

• Like 3

That’s right spread the germs.   Just like the dining room encouraging everyone to wave their napkins after they have wiped their mouths, coughed or sneezed on them.  Fastest way to spread droplets.   And then people complain how sick they a few days after getting home.

7 hours ago, Parrottdizes said:

Yes, there is a big party.......do arrive early if you want to get a good location to view the festivities. The time will be posted in the "patter".

H AS WS B T M  Emerald P  Crossimg the Equator Food Fight  11 03 2018  lr-1662.jpg

Geesh, have you all gone crazy?  This is the party, having a great time?  I feel for the crew who had to clean this one up.  I will be at the IC, eating all the chicken salad croissants, and the pavlovas.  No, I will not save any of you one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, stoneharborlady said:

Geesh, have you all gone crazy?  This is the party, having a great time?  I feel for the crew who had to clean this one up.  I will be at the IC, eating all the chicken salad croissants, and the pavlovas.  No, I will not save any of you one.

could be a best seller, "  Eat Your Way Across The Equator "

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Thrak said:

It amazes me that, on a ship where even shaking hands is discouraged due to spreading germs, a bunch of people will kiss the same dang fish. Hi there! I have a cold or incipient noro. Want to kiss this fish that I just kissed? Ewwwww...  Of course I can't imagine kissing the Blarney Stone either.

I'll bet they wipe the fish off after each kiss. 😅

Fun Note. We were in the Piazza, a group of musicians from the Princess Orchestra were entertaining. An announcement from the bridge came that we were now on the equator. The musicians picked up their music stands, rotated the stands and themselves 180 degrees and continued playing. It was funny at the time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I'll bet they wipe the fish off after each kiss. 😅

No, they don't. It's a fairly large dead fish. There is a line of people who kiss it. Everybody will receive a certificate for crossing the equator and can officially call themselves a "shellback" instead of a "pollywog". We are shell backs and have no reason to participate in the ceremony. (We did not kiss the fish.)

To clarify, no passenger is in any way required to kiss the fish or even to participate at all.    If it bothers you, don't do it!    Our experience, which we watched from a quieter spot above the action, was considerably less 'messy' than the pictures shown here.  

In addition to the ship's certificate, one person in our roll call made each member a beautiful individualized certificate, complete with frame.   Wish I could remember the person's name - this was on the Crown Princess LA>So.Pacific>LA trip back in Oct. 2014.