Cruise prices 18 months out

richmke

I am looking at the Trans Panama Canal Cruises in Nov-Jan time frame. The 2019 prices are around $1,500/person OV (plus taxes, port fees, etc), and $1,900-$2,500 for Balcony.

The 2020 prices are almost twice that: $2,500 OV, and $2,800-3,300 for Balcony.

Any guess if the prices will come down?

We usually book early, generally prices come down... i book early, like to get the cabin category I like, then watch for price drops.   I have not done a TA for a year or more, now... last one on Royal, probably $2000 range for a mini suite. 

Booking early some time you get some extra perks, depending on their value to you, if the price drops, something you lose the perks, but if you don't use them any way... I generally take the price drop, you decide.  

It depends on how well each particular cruise is selling. If bookings are low then the prices might drop. If it's a popular cruise then prices might rise. 

If the current 2020 fare is one that you think you can live with then book now to secure a good cabin, and watch closely for price drops and deals. Otherwise wait and hope the price drops

Just be aware that booking early and hoping for a price reduction actually cuts against the possibility of the price reduction you hope to get.  If a sailing is filling up early, the cruise line has less incentive to reduce fares. If the ship is booked to a 20% capacity in the early months, fares will have to come down to fill the ship later on.  But if people rush to book early and fill the ship to 80% capacity, you aren't going to see big price reductions  Of course, no individual purchaser can know how the scales are tipping.  

13 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Just be aware that booking early and hoping for a price reduction actually cuts against the possibility of the price reduction you hope to get.  If a sailing is filling up early, the cruise line has less incentive to reduce fares. If the ship is booked to a 20% capacity in the early months, fares will have to come down to fill the ship later on.  But if people rush to book early and fill the ship to 80% capacity, you aren't going to see big price reductions  Of course, no individual purchaser can know how the scales are tipping.  

True but the percentage of bookings by people who know that they can get their cruise refared when the price drops would be relatively small, although with more people joining FB groups that number is probably increasing. Still, it's worked for me in most cases so far.

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

although with more people joining FB groups that number is probably increasing

That really is my point.  The combination of sites like this and all other social media make "uncommon knowledge" common.

12 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

That really is my point.  The combination of sites like this and all other social media make "uncommon knowledge" common.

Yes, and with more people learning to book early to get good cabins the prices will probably go higher and higher until people stop booking because the fares are too high. Can't win, I'm afraid.

7 hours ago, richmke said:

I am looking at the Trans Panama Canal Cruises in Nov-Jan time frame. The 2019 prices are around $1,500/person OV (plus taxes, port fees, etc), and $1,900-$2,500 for Balcony.

I say book it now. I booked my 15 day Panama cruise in Nov 2018 for sept 2019.price was 2289 pp OV. now, at final payment coming up, price went down to 1309 pp. I re-fared, kept same cabin, and lost some OBC, but saved almost $2000.  The price went down throughout the year, and I re-fared each time. only once did it go up (in March). 

If you want a certain area and cabin, its the best way , in my opinion. I kept a log, as I had another cruise I was re-faring , which only went down $100. 

11 hours ago, richmke said:

These cruises are currently covered by the Sip&Sail promo. Read the details, balcony & above receive the alcohol package, interior and OV receive the non-alcohol package. If you know you want one of these cruises and the promo package book now. The promo has a refundable deposit, you can always change or cancel if a better deal comes along before final payment is due.

Edited by skynight

We always try to book early, we get better cabins and usually better fares that way.   If the cost of the cruise happens to go lower you can compare rates and still get the best deal.   On our Royal Caribbean cruises, the early prices tend to be higher and the price usually come down.  We find Princess fares tend to be best when they first come out and than start to climb.  We have not been able to take advantage of any price reduction on our Princess cruises. 

We did the Panama Canal last December. We found that on that particular cruise the only cabins that sold out early were the suites! The midship suites were sold out more than 1 year out and the other suites were completely sold out very quickly too!

The balconies and OVs did not sell out so fast so you have more time if you don't feel like booking right now!

I'm willing to pay the 2019 prices, but not the 2020 prices. No reason to book the Sip & Sail if that is not the fare I am going to end up with. I am also not that picky about cabins. About 6-9 months out is when it starts making a difference. Then I need to worry about getting a decent air fare on Southwest. Can't book the flights if I don't know the cruise dates.