Construction on the Crown now taking place?

EllieinNJ

Was reading some trip reports in the review section and one said that they were doing construction in the atrium and closed the International Cafe and moved it to where Vines is.  This will last four weeks. Our cruise is not until end of August so hope it will not affect us .  Can anyone else who was on this cruise elaborate?

We just got off this ship and they moved the "coffee" part of the International cafe to part of the Vines Bar.  The food and snacks are still there.  I don't remember what they are putting there instead.  

6 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

That would be at the bottom of the list of Princess concerns for sure.

That is a ridiculous statement to my way of thinking. Although any customer may not agree with a decision that has been made by a company, no company is going to place the customers' concerns absolutely last and remain in business very long. I doubt very seriously that you, I, or any other customer knows all or even most of the factors that affect decisions that impact on decisions that finally determine a decision that is made on when or how work scheduled for completion on a dry dock or any other major repair/change scheduled for a given period.

Perhaps this is your area of expertise, however. If that is the case, then I offer my apologies for second-guessing you.

Tom

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fat Tuesday said:

Just a shot in the dark here but could they be installing a Good Spirits Bar like the one CB has? I sail on her next month so I'm also interested to find more.

Agree. See Caribbean Princess deck plans, probably similar.

By looking at the CB deck plan, I think they probably moved the coffee part of the IC to Vines temporarily in order to give the workers more room to make the changes.

They will undoubtedly move the coffee part back to the IC when construction is completed.

19 hours ago, famski740 said:

By looking at the CB deck plan, I think they probably moved the coffee part of the IC to Vines temporarily in order to give the workers more room to make the changes.

They will undoubtedly move the coffee part back to the IC when construction is completed.

No doubt. 

It's not easy to keep the IC open & do construction at the same time.

4 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Any updates?

We just got off June 18. There are bits of work going on here and there, which was not that surprising to me since they are days (can't remember when) from going into full Medallion mode. I didn't find it that difficult going to Vines for my morning coffee, but it sounds like some of the people who use Vines as a quiet little wine bar were non-plussed by the invasion of the coffee people.

There was at least one other part of the ship that had some kind of boarding up, the area between the photo-video desk on Deck 7 and the ladies' room/aft elevators. But I don't think anything was there before, so it didn't mess with our enjoyment either. Probably some kind of Medallion help desk.

While I didn't think any of the work was a problem, I did note with displeasure the lack of entertainment, particularly in the Princess theater. The acts they had there when the production shows weren't playing were like bad vaudeville, a comedy-variety-acrobatics act, some kind of funky fiddler and a vocal impressionist. Everything I saw was worthy of a vaudeville hook.

Jim

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jasbo49 said:

There was at least one other part of the ship that had some kind of boarding up, the area between the photo-video desk on Deck 7 and the ladies' room/aft elevators. But I don't think anything was there before, so it didn't mess with our enjoyment either. Probably some kind of Medallion help desk.

THIS IS LIKELY TO CREATE THE OCEAN STORE SO THEY CAN MAKE MONEY SELLING OCEAN MEDALLION JUNK TO US  ( I am recently off the Royal that is now full Medallion Class)

2 hours ago, jasbo49 said:

While I didn't think any of the work was a problem, I did note with displeasure the lack of entertainment, particularly in the Princess theater. The acts they had there when the production shows weren't playing were like bad vaudeville, a comedy-variety-acrobatics act, some kind of funky fiddler and a vocal impressionist. Everything I saw was worthy of a vaudeville hook.

Jim

BUDGET CUTS, AND HAS BEEN  LIKE THIS FOR A WHILE NOW

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:11 AM, nj linda said:

We just got off this ship and they moved the "coffee" part of the International cafe to part of the Vines Bar.  The food and snacks are still there.  I don't remember what they are putting there instead.  

Man...don't mess with  my snacks and donuts!:classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jasbo49 said:

While the entertainment might not be top notch it's still much better than some of the other cruise lines I've been on. 

What a shame.  We do not drink so look forward to these shows at night.  On our last Princess cruise on the Grand they had shows in different venues and ran back and forth to catch them all.

2 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

What a shame.  We do not drink so look forward to these shows at night.  On our last Princess cruise on the Grand they had shows in different venues and ran back and forth to catch them all.

Don't stress. While the Princess Theater shows were disappointing, we did find enjoyable acts in the Wheelhouse Bar. Your basic singer-guitarist acts.

Jim

9 hours ago, MissP22 said:

While the entertainment might not be top notch it's still much better than some of the other cruise lines I've been on. 

I am sure that the entertainment is the best available in Princess's price range.

• Haha 1