Is cruising really a great value travel option?

adelaidefc

12 hours ago, brillohead said:

Back in the early 90s, I was in England with my parents, my now-ex-spouse, my brother, and his now-ex-spouse.  

They all wanted to eat at McDonald's, Burger King, and Pizza Hut!!!!

We went along with the fast food lunches for expediency's sake (we were all sightseeing together all day), but the night they were all going to Pizza Hut for dinner, we ditched them and went to a hole-in-the-wall Italian place in Soho and had an AMAZING dinner.  I still remember the garlic sauce oozing out of the chicken as I cut into it.... bliss!

Granted, England isn't exactly known for its cuisine, but Pizza Hut for dinner?  Gimme a break! 

I beg to differ.  There is a growing and exceptionally good food scene in the UK.  Twenty years ago I might have agreed with you.  Know?  You either haven't been there in quite some time or haven't bothered to look for the great restaurants.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, iancal said:

We have travelled to Europe for the past few years for much less than we would spend on a Med cruise. Not that we spent less, we simply travelled for s much longer time.

Granted, without the entertainment but in some cases that is a benefit.

I don't cruise for entertainment, that's for sure.  Having been on four lines, I've yet to see anything that really wowed me or that I would ever pay more than a few dollars for on land.

I can spend three weeks in much of Europe for the cost of a one week cruise on a mass market line and have better food, more space in my accommodation, and if I choose, better entertainment.  We saw one of the funniest plays ever last November in Belfast at a local community arts center/theater by a troupe of local actors/comedians.  The tickets were around $8 each after the currency conversion.  The venue is BYOB and decent French wine is cheap in Belfast, so it was about $30 for a great night out.  We met some lovely local people and got a tip on a great (and inexpensive, even by Belfast standards)  restaurant that we might not have found on our own where we had dinner a couple of nights later.

Like you, we've been taking land based trips to Europe for the past few years--have another one all booked for this year as well.

I've already got my symphony ticket in Prague, $25 US for the highest priced ticket--got a great seat and am very much looking forward it.  🙂 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ducklite said:

I don't cruise for entertainment, that's for sure.  Having been on four lines, I've yet to see anything that really wowed me or that I would ever pay more than a few dollars for on land.

I can spend three weeks in much of Europe for the cost of a one week cruise on a mass market line and have better food, more space in my accommodation, and if I choose, better entertainment.  We saw one of the funniest plays ever last November in Belfast at a local community arts center/theater by a troupe of local actors/comedians.  The tickets were around $8 each after the currency conversion.  The venue is BYOB and decent French wine is cheap in Belfast, so it was about $30 for a great night out.  We met some lovely local people and got a tip on a great (and inexpensive, even by Belfast standards)  restaurant that we might not have found on our own where we had dinner a couple of nights later.

Like you, we've been taking land based trips to Europe for the past few years--have another one all booked for this year as well.

I've already got my symphony ticket in Prague, $25 US for the highest priced ticket--got a great seat and am very much looking forward it.  🙂 

Which theatre and restaurant was that? We are in Belfast this Summer and always on the lookout for interesting local venues vs. the tourist places. Thanks.

9 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

Yes, it's subjective, but it's hardly irrelevant.  I think it's actually more relevant than cost.  Even at a low price, I won't buy a discretionary item, like a vacation, that is (to me) a poor value -  I'd rather save for that discretionary item when it's a better value, even if it means waiting.   Other people might feel differently, of course.

Hi

If value is completely subjective then it has to be irrelevant because it wont be the same for you as for me. 

You can save for something you want, but how can you know what you want if you have never done anything? It was experience that allowed me to make decisions on what I liked or not, when I was younger I would be happy to go and experience anything.

The whole point about the cruise industry is that they made travel affordable. Many people who couldn't afford to travel before were able to make an a judge whether there was better "value" going camping again or to go on a cruise. It isn't about whether a Med. cruise would give you more value than touring northern Europe. If you have several thousand to spend on any given vacation, it doesn't really matter whether you will need to spend a few hundred dollars more or less to do this or that. You can always do something you miss the next time. 

It's for the people who only have the $500 to spend. They can go on a cruise because it is affordable and it is a good "value" compared to other things they can afford. If that's all they have to spend, the idea that they should save for half a dozen years or more so that they can go on a vacation that you think has value, is funny. 

As you said, "other people might feel differently, of course".

16 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Which theatre and restaurant was that? We are in Belfast this Summer and always on the lookout for interesting local venues vs. the tourist places. Thanks.

It's a place called the Crescent Arts Center, near Queens.  They have an eclectic schedule.  The restaurant was 2Taps in the Cathedral Quarter.  There is another good restaurant that another person we met while we were in our favorite pub told us about, Marco Pierre White--about double the cost of 2Taps but it's a steakhouse, so... It's in Strandtown.  There's another place called the Strand Arts Center that I haven't been to yet, but seems like it would be a similar but larger version of Crescent.  The pub we like is Five Points, a/k/a The Points, which is in Central Belfast.  

14 hours ago, clo said:

But, come on.  It's still McDs.

Actually, in Hawaii, the Portuguese sausage, rice, and scrambled eggs breakfast is pretty good.

I did have a MickyD breakfast in Puerto Rico, and they had some different breads for the breakfast sandwiches.  And they make some REALLY good bread in PR.

I have ads in various countries for variations on burgers.  One such was a cheddar cheese burger with grilled onions.

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

An extraordinary event?  Are you saying he missed the opportunity to eat.  Some people don’t define pleasure and recreation by gastronomic events 

It could be a dinner show.

I did one in Chiang Mai that was wonderful.  But someone who would not eat local food might not even go.

Although, eating different things is one of my major joys of traveling.  And getting to try the dish the way it is supposed to be, not the Americanized version.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ldubs said:

I could understand the $$$ if returning to the ship was convenient.  Go back, have a big selection, and save a few $$.  It would make sense to a lot of folks to do that.   I suppose access to familiar food & language barriers are also factors.   But whatever the reason, if folks prefer that then that is what they should do.  

That's why "value" is subjective to each individual.  The option to scurry back to the ship for a buffet of standard cruise fare is of no value to me compared to the opportunity to trying new and different foods.  Staying at an AI has more value to me because I can go to the beach instead of contending with chair hogs by a crowded pool on sea days. 

Value is geographic too.  Last year my brother and sister-in-law suggested we join them on a cruise to Havana, a city I've always wanted to visit.  It meant flying to Tampa, taking a cruise to spend just over a day there with a requirement to take cruise line excursions only .  For the same price I could fly to Havana, get a hotel and spend a several days there exploring on my own.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SRF said:

It could be a dinner show.

I did one in Chiang Mai that was wonderful.  But someone who would not eat local food might not even go.

Although, eating different things is one of my major joys of traveling.  And getting to try the dish the way it is supposed to be, not the Americanized version.

I am one of "those people" who is not always keen to eat "local foods" particularly in parts of the world where there is not only a language barrier, but a great many foods that I'm allergic to are typically served or mixed in.  Considering 10% of the worlds population has a food allergy or sensitivity, we aren't as uncommon as you'd think.  Not ending up on a gurney in a hospital in a foreign country is far more important to me than the opinion of someone who judges people for not wanting to "eat the local food."   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

That's why "value" is subjective to each individual.  The option to scurry back to the ship for a buffet of standard cruise fare is of no value to me compared to the opportunity to trying new and different foods.  Staying at an AI has more value to me because I can go to the beach instead of contending with chair hogs by a crowded pool on sea days. 

Value is geographic too.  Last year my brother and sister-in-law suggested we join them on a cruise to Havana, a city I've always wanted to visit.  It meant flying to Tampa, taking a cruise to spend just over a day there with a requirement to take cruise line excursions only .  For the same price I could fly to Havana, get a hotel and spend a several days there exploring on my own.  

Yes, very subjective and variable.   For example, Cuba is not on my list of places to visit.  I don't want to go there.  Some get a lot of value out of staying in inside cabins, others would not even consider doing that. Some folks are really into paying status or logo taxes. Others think it is a complete waste.  Some want new and unfamiliar food.  Others don't.   Personal preferences really do come into play.   The only thing I think is really important is that folks enjoy what they are doing.   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

An extraordinary event?  Are you saying he missed the opportunity to eat.  Some people don’t define pleasure and recreation by gastronomic events 

No.  This very wealthy Thai woman got bored when she retired so started inviting a particular tour company to bring their small groups out to her lovely home.  Gave us a tour of her home made completely out of some special wood, redwood perhaps.  Then a great dinner that her staff had prepared.  A laminated card with a recipe and a small bottle of the main seasoning. And then outside where we released these lanterns.  You make a wish as you release your lantern.  It was stunning and I'm sorry he missed it.

image.jpeg.eadb934b99df5a707703d0926f0b7c22.jpeg

Edited by clo
correct a word

Just now, clo said:

No.  This very wealthy Thai woman got bored when she retired so started inviting a particular tour company to bring their small groups out to her lovely home.  Gave us a tour of her home made completely out of some special wood, redwood perhaps.  Then a great dinner that her staff had prepared.  A laminated card with a recipe and a small bottle of the main seasoning. And hen outside where we released these lanterns.  You make a wish as you release your lantern.  It was stunning and I'm sorry he missed it.

image.jpeg.eadb934b99df5a707703d0926f0b7c22.jpeg

That would be different.    A lovely hosted evening event - that is worth doing. 

(Aside:    I am a very adventurous eater but I don't worry if I miss a meal.  I am strictly itinerary driven in all of my travel choices and I am far more interested in national parks, gardens, archeological sites, geology than I care about food and beverage. Just explaining my responses.  )

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

That would be different.    A lovely hosted evening event - that is worth doing. 

(Aside:    I am a very adventurous eater but I don't worry if I miss a meal.  I am strictly itinerary driven in all of my travel choices and I am far more interested in national parks, gardens, archeological sites, geology than I care about food and beverage. Just explaining my responses.  )

Totally agree.  For us it's all about the destination and that includes the food which is a big part of the culture.  I took a break here to try to find a couple of photos from that night but couldn't.  But he could have certainly eaten plain rice. And I remember an hors d'oeuvre that was nothing exotic.  Or discretely nibble on a granola bar 🙂

2 hours ago, ducklite said:

I am one of "those people" who is not always keen to eat "local foods" particularly in parts of the world where there is not only a language barrier, but a great many foods that I'm allergic to are typically served or mixed in.  Considering 10% of the worlds population Wh a food allergy or sensitivity, we aren't as uncommon as you'd think.  Not ending up on a gurney in a hospital in a foreign country is far more important to me than the opinion of someone who judges people for not wanting to "eat the local food."   

What are a few of the foods you're allergic to?  I assume you carry an epi-pen.

21 minutes ago, clo said:

Totally agree.  For us it's all about the destination and that includes the food which is a big part of the culture.  I took a break here to try to find a couple of photos from that night but couldn't.  But he could have certainly eaten plain rice. And I remember an hors d'oeuvre that was nothing exotic.  Or discretely nibble on a granola bar 🙂

Plain rice can contain allergens.  In over half of the world (particularly Thailand) rice is cooked in coconut milk.  People with allergies to coconut can't "just eat plain rice."  :classic_rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, clo said:

Two when I travel.  

I'm allergic to all tree nuts, peanuts, coconut, all shellfish and mollusks, squid, and beets.  Easy to avoid in some places, not so much in others--particularly when there is a language barrier.

1 minute ago, ducklite said:

Plain rice can contain allergens.  In over half of the world (particularly Thailand) rice is cooked in coconut milk.  People with allergies to coconut can't "just eat plain rice."  :classic_rolleyes:

Okay.  He never mentioned any allergies and we were all together for a month.  He just only like American food.  He enjoyed the trip. He just wasn't going to eat the food.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ducklite said:

Two when I travel.  

I'm allergic to all tree nuts, peanuts, coconut, all shellfish and mollusks, squid, and beets.  Easy to avoid in some places, not so much in others--particularly when there is a language barrier.

So you carry an epi-pen I assume.

On 6/21/2019 at 8:48 AM, Nic6318 said:

Hi

Possibly, but it brings us back to the thought of whether cruising is a "great value travel option". The reality is that part of the cruise package is the meals. So many will feel that they have already paid for it on the ship, and why should the pay additionally somewhere else. 

What you as well as the OP and obviously many others are doing is taking the cruise and spending liberally on anything else that interests you, whether nicer accommodations, different food, other entertainment, drinks, whatever. That's great, but it changes what could be a $500 trip to one that can cost many thousands of dollars. The bottom line is that you cannot travel to other countries, with included reasonable dining options, entertainment, and accommodations for as little as you can on a cruise. 

Of course you can spend much more and get something different, perhaps better. If that was the OP's intent in asking, it would be pointless. 

We didn't really spend liberally on anything on or off the ship, and only off the ship for a grand total of about 6-7 hours during the week. I'd decided to treat the ship as the destination. Part of that was that I'd already paid for things, but the larger part was that I wanted to fully get the experience and have a relaxing time. 

Apart from a drinks package (that I got great incredible value from, see here), some wifi for $50 and some laundry (all 3 things I would need on land), we only spent about $30 off the ship and $60USD in onboard 'extras'. And that was mainly a few icecreams and then in the tapas bar, because not only the food was great, they had a Vega Sicilia Valbuena wine included in my Premium plus package by the glass. That wine goes for $200 a bottle on land (and $45/glass onboard!), so a few glasses of that was good value! Incidentally they also had a Cognac (Millésime 1973 Delamain) that goes for $600 a bottle on land in the L'Atelier bistro. I enjoyed that one without purchasing anything extra. 😋

As for your premise that you "cannot travel to other countries, with included reasonable dining options, entertainment, and accommodations for as little as you can on a cruise." , I'd still have to respectfully disagree. Even an inside cabin and removing the drinks, wifi and laundry would've been more per day than the per day cost of the 3 weeks before the cruise.

And worth noting that from Australian ports, the only other countries you're visiting are some small South Pacific Islands or New Zealand. Everything is an 8-24 hour flight away (and if you're in Perth, even Australian cruises are largely a 5 hour flight away). You could take a cruise to other countries, but you're talking even 2 weeks to get to Singapore one-way, at a far greater cost than a flight. 

Again, that's not to disparage the true value of cruising. I loved it, thought it was worth the price I paid, and will do it again!

• Like 2

We certainly can visit other countries for the same or less.  And we do.   The only time that this is not true for is is when we pick up a last minute cruise at a bargain basement rate.  Or, during the recesssiion in NA and Europe ten years ago or so when we were picking up  10 and 14 day balcony cabins at a per diem of $100. pp on the likes of Celebrity, Princess, HAL, and RCI.

But that is not the point.  These are two very different travel options each with a different set of attributes and drawbacks.

22 hours ago, ducklite said:

I beg to differ.  There is a growing and exceptionally good food scene in the UK.  Twenty years ago I might have agreed with you.  Know?  You either haven't been there in quite some time or haven't bothered to look for the great restaurants.

As stated, this was the early 90s (I got divorced in the spring of 1992, so it was before then), so almost thirty years ago.  

And as I also stated in my post, even way back then I absolutely bothered to look for a great restaurant, as I also stated that we had an AMAZING dinner.  

Did you even read my post, even a little bit???  :classic_rolleyes:

20 hours ago, clo said:

I was on a trip with someone who was allergic to herbs.  She also carried epi pens, and she rarely ate foods at places where she wasn't sure her questions were understood and instructions would be followed.  A bit of dill in the mayonnaise could set off a respiratory attack.  

There are people who have allergies to odd things, and so face unusual challenges.