We've talked about how awful it is what they did on the Getaway, right?

PortFees45

26 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Anthem is better than the Breakaway in many ways, the 9 day cruises are great.

One way in which Anthem is NOT better than NCL (at least the Bliss anyway) is the Studio cabins.  I've stayed in both, Bliss was much nicer for the Studio when you consider the lounge.  This is important to me as I sail solo...

2 hours ago, zqvol said:

The Haven is NOTHING like sailing on a luxury line. It is not even close. The majority of people on the luxury lines do not care about or want the so called amenities of the mass market lines.

Well, I didn’t say they were the same exact thing. I said the Haven is a compromise between wanting a luxury cruise and a mass market cruise.

Myopically, you or I may not want that, but obviously there is a market. Sometimes people do both and might even like both styles depending on what type of trip they want. I don’t cruise regularly because I like to travel in a variety of different ways. I am sure my dh and I would enjoy a luxury cruise, but we also enjoy mega ships with our kids (but I’m trying a smaller ship next time). We rv camp, we hike, we are foodies, we travel for our kids’ hockey, we have stayed in Airbnb’s, luxury hotels and condos and the complete opposite (all in the same year).

We aren’t a one size fits all traveller. I think it’s a little strange that some people only seem to cruise, and I know people who look down on cruising. To each their own. 

Example of a possible haven guest: 

Grandma and grandpa may only cruise Crystal, but they want to take their kids and grandkids on a cruise, so the haven is a good option. 

Also, yes, I do think some people just like being a big fish in a little pond. I also said, I think on another thread, that pretty much no matter who you are, you’re likely just new money bougie at best if you are anywhere on NCL, but I’d venture to say most luxury lines are not that much different in clientele...just older and some with a bit more privilege and wealth. 

Old money multi millionaires have their own yachts and butlers and no need to mix with the peasants or merchants. 

1 hour ago, hallux said:

One way in which Anthem is NOT better than NCL (at least the Bliss anyway) is the Studio cabins.  I've stayed in both, Bliss was much nicer for the Studio when you consider the lounge.  This is important to me as I sail solo...

Don't care about studios, Anthem has better layout, entertainment, food about the same.  Great 9 night itineraries out of NJ.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

You say "to those who want to spend the money", not "to those who can afford it". I do think that someone who can't afford the most expensive thing on an upscale restaurant probably shouldn't go there. I don't say that everyone shall order the most expensive thing but if you can't afford it it's probably better to save the money.

If the absolute maximum you can spend on a cruise is $2000 it's probably better to book a $1800 cruise and save the extra $200.

Why shouldn't they go to an restaurant because they can't afford the most expensive item on the menu?  If they can afford the items they choose for dinner, why should they forgo to that restaurant.  Restaurants would go out of business even more than they do now, if all of their patrons employed your logic

Another analogy.  I drive an Audi S4.  Audi offers an R8 Spyder that MSRP starts at $182,100.  I can't afford a R8 Spyder, so using your logic I shouldn't have bought the Audi S4 which I could afford.

The thing is that the cruise they want (itinerary, cruise line etc) may not offer a cruise that costs $1800.  They only offer a cruise that costs $2000.  So should they forgo the cruise, just because they can't afford the extra $200?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hawkman402 said:

Spice H2O is not on the Encore so the trend is starting there too.

Really? Does that mean there’s no free adults-only sundeck/bar area on Encore, or are they just calling it something else?

1 hour ago, careyayn22 said:

Well, I didn’t say they were the same exact thing. I said the Haven is a compromise between wanting a luxury cruise and a mass market cruise.

Myopically, you or I may not want that, but obviously there is a market. Sometimes people do both and might even like both styles depending on what type of trip they want. I don’t cruise regularly because I like to travel in a variety of different ways. I am sure my dh and I would enjoy a luxury cruise, but we also enjoy mega ships with our kids (but I’m trying a smaller ship next time). We rv camp, we hike, we are foodies, we travel for our kids’ hockey, we have stayed in Airbnb’s, luxury hotels and condos and the complete opposite (all in the same year).

We aren’t a one size fits all traveller. I think it’s a little strange that some people only seem to cruise, and I know people who look down on cruising. To each their own. 

Example of a possible haven guest: 

Grandma and grandpa may only cruise Crystal, but they want to take their kids and grandkids on a cruise, so the haven is a good option. 

Also, yes, I do think some people just like being a big fish in a little pond. I also said, I think on another thread, that pretty much no matter who you are, you’re likely just new money bougie at best if you are anywhere on NCL, but I’d venture to say most luxury lines are not that much different in clientele...just older and some with a bit more privilege and wealth. 

Old money multi millionaires have their own yachts and butlers and no need to mix with the peasants or merchants. 

You should price a luxury or upscale line, often it is no more expensive than the Haven.

9 minutes ago, perditax said:

Really? Does that mean there’s no free adults-only sundeck/bar area on Encore, or are they just calling it something else?

they will be a spice h20 on the encore, in a smaller location. maybe somewhere mid ship

Edited by shof515

3 hours ago, Lupush said:

It annoys everyone.  If you're not going to add anything to the discussions on these boards please go away.

I wish people would stop with the “steerage” nonsense. That is insulting to everyone in my opinion. And frankly, it comes across as sour grapes (as my mom used to say, lol).

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Greenpea2 said:

I wish people would stop with the “steerage” nonsense. That is insulting to everyone in my opinion. And frankly, it comes across as sour grapes (as my mom used to say, lol).

That one’s been getting hauled out as long as I’ve been here (which obviously isn’t as long as some), on all ship brands’ forums I’ve hung out on. It’s not so much the “sour grapes” part that bugs me, it’s the level of hyperbole. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steerage

Obviously none of us who have the luxury of arguing about it on the internet are experiencing those conditions. 🙂

To me the bigger picture is that as NCL tries to chop up and unbundle its product into tinier and tinier bits, and charge extra for each bit, it dilutes and devalues the experience for each of those bits.

Add this latest move to the reasons I will continue to consider Norwegian only IF the price of the cruise I'm looking at is significantly less then the competition. You get less with NCL with your base fare. Their innovative ways to seperate customers from their money is impressive. 🙄

10 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

You sound like FDR's perfect customer. Glad you two found each other. 

Love your posts.

Edited by richstowe
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, richstowe said:

Add this latest move to the reasons I will continue to consider Norwegian only IF the price of the cruise I'm looking at is significantly less then the competition. You get less with NCL with your base fare. Their innovative ways to seperate customers from their money is impressive. 🙄

Love your posts.

I had two Cruisenext certificates to burn. A week ago, NCL was still trying to charge $1549 for studio rooms on an upcoming sailing. Very few were booked, so I waited it out. They finally caved a few days ago and dropped the price almost six hundred dollars. Minus another $500 of doubled CN certs. That got me down to about what I’m willing to pay them at this point. (Incidentally, this will be the cruise that will get me to platinum.)

Very much looking forward to Virgin Voyages. 

14 hours ago, david_sobe said:

I may be in the minority but I think this is a great idea. The people who camped out for Vibe passes only to be disappointed.  People pay more for a tourist trap excursion for 4 hours than a week Vibe pass.  If sunning on a deck is important to you on your cruise this is the best bang for the buck. No chair hogs. No worries about finding a chair.  No screaming kids in the hot tubs.  Even the Haven hot tubs are over run by kids or teenagers.  People pay just as much for a spa pass.  The days of all inclusive cruises ended a long time ago especially for NCL.  You pay for some entertainment, some restaurants and now even some private sun decks.  If sunning on a cruise was important to me, this would be the best thing ever and worth every cent.  I would sacrifice specialty dining for a Vibe pass if I was on a budget.

100% agree. 

7 hours ago, gatour said:

Why shouldn't they go to an restaurant because they can't afford the most expensive item on the menu?  If they can afford the items they choose for dinner, why should they forgo to that restaurant.  Restaurants would go out of business even more than they do now, if all of their patrons employed your logic

Another analogy.  I drive an Audi S4.  Audi offers an R8 Spyder that MSRP starts at $182,100.  I can't afford a R8 Spyder, so using your logic I shouldn't have bought the Audi S4 which I could afford.

The thing is that the cruise they want (itinerary, cruise line etc) may not offer a cruise that costs $1800.  They only offer a cruise that costs $2000.  So should they forgo the cruise, just because they can't afford the extra $200?

I agree with you that more restaurants would go out of business but if everyone was more carefull about their money we should also have less homeless people and less old people who still have to work to be able to buy food.

What happens if you on your way home from the restaurant has an accident and break a leg? Can you afford to miss a few days salary? If the answer is yes, you could afford the most expensive item on the menu. If the answer is no, was it really worth it to eat at the restaurant?

If you can't afford a $182,100 car but you can afford a $150,000 car my advice should be to buy a $140,000 car and save the $10,000 in case you need them later.

If the maximum amount someone can afford to spend on a cruise is $2000 it's much better to save a little longer and cruise when they have $2200 instead of spending everything on the cruise.

Edited by sverigecruiser

1 hour ago, PortFees45 said:

The vast majority of homeless people are not in that condition because they "should have been more careful about their money." 

Finally we agree about something!

Some homeless people are homeless because they should have been more careful about their money. 

10 hours ago, perditax said:

10 hours ago, shof515 said:

they will be a spice h20 on the encore, in a smaller location. maybe somewhere mid ship

There is no Spice H20 or free adults only sundeck on Encore... unless they change their plans.

10 hours ago, Greenpea2 said:

Sorry you feel that way, but the more areas that are roped off, Extra fee, or just not available to the standard fare paying passenger the more I fell like I'm a steerage passenger. It makes me feel uncomfortable or not worthy, It increases the number of entitled people on the cruise,  something I vacation to get away from.

One reason why I am reconsidering my travel options.

Like it or not there is a class system onboard the NCL mega ships and the gap is getting wider. 

• Haha 1

We had gotten Vibe passes on Epic, Breakaway and Getaway when we sailed on them - back when they were $99 for the week.  We thought we had a great deal, and loved the area, even though it cost us $400 for my family of 4.  However, seeing the prices have gone up to $200, we will save the $800 and find a quiet place on one of the decks somewhere.  

On 6/23/2019 at 7:16 PM, PortFees45 said:

I didn't think NCL could sink any lower than the shrimp cocktail upcharge, but closing off the entire port/forward sundecks to the public to expand Vibe is downright disgusting. 

I can't count how many times I've walked past the normal-sized Vibe on previous cruises, and it was deserted. Even in good weather it closes at night. 

Now besides losing the only really quiet public sundeck on the ship, passengers can't stroll to the front of the ship at night, and that large portion of the ship will sit entirely unused for large periods while everyone else is jammed into the remaining spaces. 

Disgusting. Shame on you, NCL. 

I'm a loyal Platinum cruiser, but Frank Del Rio listen here and listen good...I will never set foot on one of your garbage new ships. I sail out of NYC, and I know the Bliss is on the way. I don't care. The Bliss similarly has the port and forward upper sundecks blocked off to the public, but in this case it's for expanded Haven access (I can't decide if that's more or less offensive than the Vibe expansion). 

I'll sail the Escape so long as the Vibe remains unmodified, and I'll always jump at the opportunity to sail on the elegant and perfect Gem. 

But this return to Titanic-era class systems, with whole tiers of the ship off limits to general passengers when the -Away ships are already overcrowded as it is just reeks of rank corporate greed. The shrimp cocktail thing is just tacky and annoying, but it won't ruin anyone's cruise. This, on the other hand, has a major impact on ship quality of life, and it's a disgrace. 

Oh how terrible! 🙄

3 hours ago, tjt87 said:

Like it or not there is a class system onboard the NCL mega ships and the gap is getting wider. 

This. I agree that if you pay more, you should get more. But where is the line when you've pushed it so far that the vast majority feel like second class (or 3rd class) passengers. This is known as steerage .

The problem isn't just a simple "some can't afford it" problem.  The problem is that they're taking away space that was open to all and could be used by a rotating assortment of everyone on board and have now replaced it with a chargeable upgrade that has a limited number of slots available.  As a result, it's not just a "who can afford it", it's a "which 150 or 200 of the 4,000 people got here first" even if everyone was able to swing the $200.

With Encore, with the omission of Spice, this makes matters even WORSE as Spice was a nice retreat that was a combination of free venue but still some level of exclusivity (NO KIDS!).

• Like 3

14 hours ago, shof515 said:

No, there is not. Check the deck plans. Vibe has been expanded, even larger than the new one on Getaway. This one is 2 decks. There is not a Spice H2O on Encore.

For the past couple of decades...this is what NCL does....Lets build a new ship...let's advertise the heck out of it...lets give a good price for it....let's get new blood on it...let's give a few really cool free venues...let's see how many people go there....THAT MANY !!!  wellll....let's charge for those venues...SURPRISE:classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, LrgPizza said:

No, there is not. Check the deck plans. Vibe has been expanded, even larger than the new one on Getaway. This one is 2 decks. There is not a Spice H2O on Encore.

This is disappointing. I have always loved the aft sun deck area on every ship I have cruised on. I was going to get Vibe passes the last time I went on The Getaway, but much preferred hanging at Spice H20, and if I couldn't find a deck chair I would sit in the waterfall area thing. I don't like to spend too much time in the sun anyway. I kind of wish the Encore was doing the Baltic cruise I am going on, because having the laser tag and go-karts would be fun during sea days when there may not be much sun. Would definitely do these ships to Alaska. I do find so much Vibe space on them a bit of a waste. I would just hang on my balcony.