Horrible Story, What was he thinking?

dkjretired

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Agree.  Horrible story.  Utter disbelief in the actions of this foolish, foolish man.  Also wondering what benefit the posting of this story in this forum would have to fellow cruisers.

Its news, why not....Sometimes things transcend being solely on one board, this is one of them...

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Its news, why not....Sometimes things transcend being solely on one board, this is one of them...

Guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.  I don't tune in to CC so that I can catch up on news that exploits the tragic loss of life of a child at the hands of an obviously unstable cruise passenger.  The family will deal with enough grief without having the added stress of it being discussed and debated (and judged) in the many forums available across the internet.  But that's just my opinion.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.  I don't tune in to CC so that I can catch up on news that exploits the tragic loss of life of a child at the hands of an obviously unstable cruise passenger.  The family will deal with enough grief without having the added stress of it being discussed and debated (and judged) in the many forums available across the internet.  But that's just my opinion.

I respect your opinion however I have been on this board since it’s inception and there is a long history of stories like this being on this board and other boards.

• Like 4

Rather than trying to police the board with comments, report the OP post and let a moderator know.  They can determine if it belongs or not.  IMO, it is cruising related so certainly not off topic.

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Rather than trying to police the board with comments, report the OP post and let a moderator know.  They can determine if it belongs or not.  IMO, it is cruising related so certainly not off topic.

Exactly, let the moderators decide but as I stated there is a long history of non celebrity threads when they concern something universally news.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

To be a cautionary tale to not be stupid?

Yes, I suppose there are people out there who would dangle a child over the side of a cruise ship and not know that they shouldn't do that because it could be life threatening.  So I retract my original question and thank the OP for the PSA.  Clearly some people need to be forewarned.

In truth, I know what the forum is for and I am aware that tragedies have been posted and discussed since the inception of CC, but my empathy for the family as they morn this tragic and senseless loss just got the best of me. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Yes, I suppose there are people out there who would dangle a child over the side of a cruise ship and not know that they shouldn't do that because it could be life threatening.  So I retract my original question and thank the OP for the PSA.  Clearly some people need to be forewarned.

In truth, I know what the forum is for and I am aware that tragedies have been posted and discussed since the inception of CC, but my empathy for the family as they morn this tragic and senseless loss just got the best of me. 

I agree that people should know better. BUT we live in a world where people think shooting fireworks off their head is a good idea (in addition to all kinds of other "should know better" things - just search "Darwin Awards"). So yeah, especially when vacation is concerned, sometimes the obvious does need to be stated. 😞 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Exactly, let the moderators decide but as I stated there is a long history of non celebrity threads when they concern something universally news.

The Celebrity sub forum is a better place for the off topic non Celebrity related posts IMHO.  They can certainly be more interesting and useful that the 'this is nothing to do with Celebrity' type rubbish we see every now and again. 

You did the right thing in posting the thread even though it is very upsetting and depressing. People should remember they can always scroll past threads or posts they don't want to read. 

If the moderators ever start to censor the forum unnecessarily then I'll just leave and use the FB groups more. They are becoming much larger and more useful than they once were after all. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Very sad story.  I remember when MJ did the same thing from the hotel.

• Like 1

If this was HAL or MSC or someone else I would agree that this is not the place but Celebrity is owned by Royal so if it fits anywhere it would be here perhaps.   It's a terrible story and reminds all of us to keep safety first.

• Like 3

The reports may be incorrect in regards to how the child fell.

Furthermore, South Bend Police Chief Scott Ruszkowsk told WSBT that the child wasn’t being held outside the window when the girl fell, contrary to previous reports about the case.

24 minutes ago, TFLG said:

The reports may be incorrect in regards to how the child fell.

Furthermore, South Bend Police Chief Scott Ruszkowsk told WSBT that the child wasn’t being held outside the window when the girl fell, contrary to previous reports about the case.

You are right, reports could be in error......but whenever I read about someone ‘falling’ off a ship, I’m afraid I don’t see how it’s possible to fall overboard unless you have placed yourself outside the railing by climbing out or been placed outside the railings. There are other scenarios, but ‘falling’ as if someone just leaned and suddenly ‘fell overboard’ Is not in the realm of probable. And a 1yr old falls from the 11th deck of a ship? 

Myself, I’ll just concentrate on the loss the family is facing and even when we aren’t responsible in some way, if we are there, we tend to think ‘what did I do-not do/what should I have done-not done?’. Just being human. 

So its kind of academic, to me, whether the grandfather held the baby ‘out the window’ or over the railing, just as Michael Jackson did, or somehow tripped or so on. Whatever the case, tragedy at a level none of us want to think about.

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Denny01 said:

So its kind of academic, to me, whether the grandfather held the baby ‘out the window’ or over the railing, just as Michael Jackson did, or somehow tripped or so on. Whatever the case, tragedy at a level none of us want to think about.

The final thing in investigating any accident is how any accident of this type can be prevented in the future.  The pros call it the who what when where why and how of an investigation.  My prayers to the family.

• Like 1