Horrible Story, What was he thinking?

dkjretired

9 hours ago, dkjretired said:

I respect your opinion however I have been on this board since it’s inception and there is a long history of stories like this being on this board and other boards.

I am personally glad you posted.  

Yes, my heart goes out to this poor child and her family.  There are no words.  

However, we are all human.  People do dumb things.  Hopefully, the dumb and tragic do not cross paths in any of our lives.  

Hopefully, posting something like this will open eyes about safety.  I see plenty of extremely unsafe things that happen on cruises. I just shake my head at what goes on in people’s minds especially with guards down on vacation. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

People do not fall off cruise ships.  They are pushed, jump, do stupid things like climb a railing, or in this case, the grandfather behaved in a stupid manner.  Maybe if people read about these events, they will use their heads more.  I agree, it is sad and tragic.

Exactly. Whether he “dangled” her out the window or set her in the window, it was a stupid, tragic decision that he will have to live with for the rest of his life.

A very foolish action by a grandfather, whom I sure loved that little girl - and the result is the devastating loss of a beautiful baby.  I cannot imagine the anguish of this family - so I would suggest that we pray for them.

• Like 6

What I find amazing is that a site like CC who is supposed to be all things cruising does NOT have this story under its “NEWS” section.  This used to be the site I first came to for reliable cruise news but I have found in the last year or two I can not rely on CC for reporting all news cruise related. 

• Like 9

My prayers will be with this family for quite a while.

Living near the Pacific, we have witnessed sooo much stupid behavior by entire families.  Winter seas (here

and elsewhere) are high and unpredictable, yet we would routinely see "littles" along a sea wall, or on rocky shores.  Literally one huge swell from being swept away.  It always made me shudder...

Edited by julia

1 hour ago, farmermd said:

What I find amazing is that a site like CC who is supposed to be all things cruising does NOT have this story under its “NEWS” section.  This used to be the site I first came to for reliable cruise news but I have found in the last year or two I can not rely on CC for reporting all news cruise related. 

You can always find events like this at http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

So tragic for all who are involved.

7 minutes ago, Oville said:

Unfortunately a child died and the family has asked for privacy.  Perhaps we should all respect that.

Agree, this article basically says what many of us have been trying to all day.  Our thoughts are with this family during this horribly tough time.

https://cruiseradio.net/what-really-matters-about-toddlers-fatal-cruise-ship-fall/

Edited by akcruz
Spelling
  • Like 1

This story really is everywhere. Because the father is a South Bend Police Department officer, Presidental candidate  “Mayor Pete” Buttigieg just tweeted his condolences for his city’s employee. 

1 minute ago, Maya1234 said:

This story really is everywhere. Because the father is a South Bend Police Department officer, Presidental candidate  “Mayor Pete” Buttigieg just tweeted his condolences for his city’s employee. 

Perhaps, but this sorry is about a family in mourning ripped apart by a horrible accident. Please CC, respect the family and do what the Royal board did and make it disappear.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

It's patently absurd to think that we cannot comment on a national news story that involves cruising. 

Yup, this story has tugged on my heart strings and for the families’ sake I wish it would be left to them to deal with, not commentary from us.  Clearly I’m naive but hopeful more will agree with me.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Oville said:

Perhaps, but this sorry is about a family in mourning ripped apart by a horrible accident. Please CC, respect the family and do what the Royal board did and make it disappear.

There was another thread started this morning  on the Royal board. It look like the Mods locked it right away so the information is there but no discussion or speculation. Good move Mods!

• Like 1

Just an observation. There was a murder (allegedly) of a female passenger by her husband (Kenneth Manzanares) aboard Emerald Princess two years ago in Alaska. This was fully reported on CC and even the stateroom in which the death occurred was announced so further debate on that ensued. That thread wasn't closed despite the polarised views. Just sayin'. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Oville said:

Yup, this story has tugged on my heart strings and for the families’ sake I wish it would be left to them to deal with, not commentary from us.  Clearly I’m naive but hopeful more will agree with me.

If it bothers you that much than stop reading and responding to this post. 

• Like 13

10 hours ago, Oville said:

OMG, ghoulish.  I’m hoping CC closes this down.  It is a time for family, not social media..

Yes I saw elsewhere that you were defaming Don for being "Ghoulish". 

ghoulish
/ˈɡuːlɪʃ/
adjective

1. morbidly interested in death or disaster.
    "she told the story with ghoulish relish"

What he actually did was post a link to a news story currently being reported around the globe. By your definition, anyone who's ever discussed the Titanic disaster or discussed war, terrorist attacks or murder online is guilty of being ghoulish. Which is simply ridiculous. 

But English lesson aside, I'd just ignore the thread if I were you. No one forces you to participate in these discussions after all. Have a lovely day. :) 
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

Just an observation. There was a murder (allegedly) of a female passenger by her husband (Kenneth Manzanares) aboard Emerald Princess two years ago in Alaska. This was fully reported on CC and even the stateroom in which the death occurred was announced so further debate on that ensued. That thread wasn't closed despite the polarised views. Just sayin'. 

It's also reported in detail on the Costa Concordia. A disaster at least as tragic as any other being discussed on here. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Mynki said:

Yes I saw elsewhere that you were defaming Don for being "Ghoulish". 

ghoulish
/ˈɡuːlɪʃ/
adjective

1. morbidly interested in death or disaster.
    "she told the story with ghoulish relish"

What he actually did was post a link to a news story currently being reported around the globe. By your definition, anyone who's ever discussed the Titanic disaster or discussed war, terrorist attacks or murder online is guilty of being ghoulish. Which is simply ridiculous. 

But English lesson aside, I'd just ignore the thread if I were you. No one forces you to participate in these discussions after all. Have a lovely day. 🙂 

Mynki:

Thank you....

The family has responded through their attorney (saw this on NBC this morning), and their story of what happened is different.  From the photos of this baby, her parents were  safety conscious as she wore little ear protectors in a loud environment.  No judgement from me, just prayers for these fellow cruisers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spammie said:

Good for you. 👏

Now predict something hard, like if the sun's going to come up tomorrow.

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 2