Unusual Buffet Combination

denmarks

11 minutes ago, Slugsta said:

Please will you tell this ignorant Brit what 'congee' is? It sounds too much like 'congealed' for my liking!

It can be really delicious...

It is a rice porridge that can be served savory or sweet...depending where you are in China. Other Asian countries serve it too.

After landing in Singapore...within the hour I was eating a bowl of it with pork, century eggs, tofu, onions and spices at 8am. 🙂

I tend to be a 'eat everything' sort of Brit.

Image result for congee

Edited by Velvetwater
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Velvetwater said:

It can be really delicious...

It is a rice porridge that can be served savory or sweet...depending where you are in China. Other Asian countries serve it too.

After landing in Singapore...within the hour I was eating a bowl of it with pork, century eggs, tofu, onions and spices at 8am. 🙂

I tend to be a 'eat everything' sort of Brit.

Image result for congee

Thank you, I will keep a look out for it in future.

On 7/13/2019 at 7:09 AM, SRF said:

Good thread to show how few people READ and COMPREHEND the question. 🙂

Many years ago I spent time at Holloman AFB, outside Alamagordo, NM.

There was a Chinese, American, Mexican restaurant on the way into town.  They had a discount buffet one night a week.

So I had sweet and sour pork, fried rice, an enchilada, fried chicken, and macaroni salad. 😄

Oh, and BTW, not eating at the buffet does not make you a superior person. 🙂

Rogelio's in Isleton, CA, Sacramento Delta:  https://rogelios.net/

There's a local Chinese restaurant that makes the most amazing "6 grain congee" that has brown rice, hulless barley, Japanese rice, French red rice, rye berries, and purple barley - with mushrooms and slivered green onions.  It's unbelievably good, and my favourite take out dish. 

I might have to pick some up this week 😋

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Philob said:

Rogelio's in Isleton, CA, Sacramento Delta:  https://rogelios.net/

Ever been to Al's Place  just down the road in Locke?  I won't mention the popular nickname because too many people would need to be offended.   I'm not even sure it is still open, but it was a very unique place (and a little rough).   I was last there probably 30+ years ago.  No menu.  We sat down and the waitress asked "how do you want your steak".  haha  

2 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

There's a local Chinese restaurant that makes the most amazing "6 grain congee" that has brown rice, hulless barley, Japanese rice, French red rice, rye berries, and purple barley - with mushrooms and slivered green onions.  It's unbelievably good, and my favourite take out dish. 

I might have to pick some up this week 😋

Mrs Ldubs loves congee. I bet she would really like this.  Don't see Toronto in our future, but hey you never know.  

9 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Ever been to Al's Place  just down the road in Locke?  I won't mention the popular nickname because too many people would need to be offended.   I'm not even sure it is still open, but it was a very unique place (and a little rough).   I was last there probably 30+ years ago.  No menu.  We sat down and the waitress asked "how do you want your steak".  haha  

I tried, but the whole town and of course Al's was filled with bikers & beer:classic_ohmy:.  Ended up at Locke Garden, the Chinese place at the end of Main Street  😖

15 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Pizza and ice cream

Why would that seem strange, it's just pizza pie ala mode, unless they put the pizza on top of the ice cream, then they have deeper problems than we can deal with here on CC.  It would melt the ice cream and cool off the pizza crust and it might get a bit soggy before they got to the ice cream soup that would be left.

On 7/13/2019 at 5:23 PM, ldubs said:

Kind of funny.  Folks around me commonly crumble bacon in congee. I admit I do the same with oatmeal.  One of those spice of life things I guess.  😀  

I crumble bacon into grits.  Add butter, salt, and pepper, and it is great.  Even better with a soft boiled or poached egg.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SRF said:

Grits and congee are like a blank canvas.  It is where you, as the artist, fashion a meal that YOU like.

Good sausage gravy is also VERY good.  

I grew up in the South so grits were likely almost an every day dish.  I didn't eat eggs as a kid.  I would take my sausage patty and break it into pieces and 'hide' it in my grits so I never knew when I would get a bite of the meat.  Fun memory.