Canyon Ranch Spa Being Replaced?

I read on another site that Canyon Ranch Spa will be history at the end of the year and will be replaced by "Onboard Spa by Steiner".  Research on this company has been a bit difficult - I mostly find websites that offer jobs for this company.  Apparently, on land, they exist in New Zealand and Australia.

This is obviously a rumor until it can be verified by someone at Regent.  If this is true, I would not be unhappy to see Canyon Ranch go as some of their employees were not knowledgeable (not knowing all of the services they provide), some are downright unfriendly and, of course, there is the upsell situation and expecting tips when they are included.

This is the article that I read "As a longtime Regent cruiser (started with Radisson) there have been many changes over the years and since NCL took the helm more are sure to come. One upcoming change which I just became aware of is that Canyon Ranch Spa will be leaving the Regent line in December/January being replaced with Steiner Spa. While I am not a connoisseur of Spas I do know that Canyon Ranch Spa is an upscale brand normally associated with upscale lines like Regent (Seven Seas) whereas Steiner Spa...not so much. Given that Regent even has on their Compass Rose menu meals centered around Canyon Ranch it will be interesting to see if that continues with Steiner or not.."

P.S.  Would love to hear from anyone "Down Under" that is familiar with this company.

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1

The fact that a number of meals in Compass Rose are attached to the Canyon Ranch Spa brand, it will be interesting to see how they will label these meals, if this change comes to pass.  Maybe they will call them what they are "healthy meals".

Very likely I suppose...

I thought the Canyon Ranch offerings on both Oceania and Regent were vastly over-priced even given the inclusion of the service charge.   Tried them a few times and was not all that impressed.  I don't know anything about Steiner but apparently they use Elemis products which - last time I was at the BA spa at Heathrow which was a long time ago - BA used too.   I rather liked the product but not enough to change from what I normally use...

• Like 1

I will be sad to see the Canyon Ranch menu gone, although I don't know how much it actually influenced the offerings, or whether they were just suggestions gleaned from what was being offered.  Hopefully they will replace this with some kind of "wellness" menu.

But from the spa point of view, I won't be sad to see them go.  I'm hoping the replacement services will have some more reasonably-priced options.  Don't expect a bargain on a luxury cruise ship, but still, want to be able to get a pedicure or a facial once in a while without taking out a bank loan.

• Like 2

I’ve had experience using Steiner salons for my hair years ago, and liked the results and products used.  Also think when we started cruising in 2003 with Celebrity it was Steiner  spa / salon onboard using Elemis products and liked the service there.

Like Hambaghale have used the Elemis spa salons in LHR for the complementary treatments and again found the products and service good.  

On Regent I’ve really only used the spa salon to have my hair done and liked the service given and didn’t experience and hard sell issues.     Jean.

Steiner is proud to be the chosen spa operator onboard over 16 luxury cruise lines including:

Carnival, P&O cruises, Crystal Cruises, Norwegian, HAL, Disney, Princess, Royal Carribean, Silversea, Costa, Seaborn, Windstar

And I found by CanyonRanch:

Find Canyon Ranch® spas on 22 luxury ships with Celebrity Cruises, Cunard, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises®

Edited by Henk123

1 hour ago, xrvlcruiser said:

At one point Carita - a French company - ran the Spa. They did have a place in New York City a very long time ago.

They are still in Paris apparently.

Peggy

You are right - this is the company that I remember before Canyon Ranch!  

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about the Compass Rose menu under Canyon Ranch, that is an easy fix even if they don't use a spa name.  About the people, most of the time when a company makes changes like this, the employees just move to the new company-just management changes.  It will be interesting to see the services and prices and how they push products.

• Like 1

The spa was Carita, a long time ago back in Radisson days.  But then it was Steiner for a couple of years.  Then Canyon Ranch.   I really like Elemis products.  Just slathered some on my face in fact.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

P.S.  Would love to hear from anyone "Down Under" that is familiar with this company.

My research tells me they are a Florida company, based in Coral Gables, founded in 1926.  Elemis is also one of their brands as is a facial brand called Bliss.  

Steiner is very old!  At least forty years, for it was "the" place for hairdressing/beauty treatment when I first had an independent income and could afford such things.  I remember well how they attracted the best beauticians/salon staff because there was always the promise of "the ships" - and that was only available to the most highly regarded staff in the salon.  @liptastic, I don't think they are still around under that name, are they?   (I hadn't realised that Elemis was one of their brands - one I like very much indeed)

7 hours ago, Gilly said:

Steiner is very old!  At least forty years, for it was "the" place for hairdressing/beauty treatment when I first had an independent income and could afford such things.  I remember well how they attracted the best beauticians/salon staff because there was always the promise of "the ships" - and that was only available to the most highly regarded staff in the salon.  @liptastic, I don't think they are still around under that name, are they?   (I hadn't realised that Elemis was one of their brands - one I like very much indeed)

Gilly I am not sure if the salons are still operational. We left Glasgow in 1985 when we were married, and I was a client in that salon. They were so skilled and experienced in caring for long hair, and it was the only place to go then. Now we have about 90 minutes to a city (Aberdeen) I honestly don’t know if there is a Steiner salon there.  

Like you I do like the Elemis brand and find a good selection in duty free. 

Think this would be a good fit having Steiner onboard Regent.     Jean.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2019 at 3:38 PM, Travelcat2 said:

I read on another site that Canyon Ranch Spa will be history at the end of the year and will be replaced by "Onboard Spa by Steiner".  Research on this company has been a bit difficult - I mostly find websites that offer jobs for this company.  Apparently, on land, they exist in New Zealand and Australia.

This is obviously a rumor until it can be verified by someone at Regent.  If this is true, I would not be unhappy to see Canyon Ranch go as some of their employees were not knowledgeable (not knowing all of the services they provide), some are downright unfriendly and, of course, there is the upsell situation and expecting tips when they are included.

This is the article that I read "As a longtime Regent cruiser (started with Radisson) there have been many changes over the years and since NCL took the helm more are sure to come. One upcoming change which I just became aware of is that Canyon Ranch Spa will be leaving the Regent line in December/January being replaced with Steiner Spa. While I am not a connoisseur of Spas I do know that Canyon Ranch Spa is an upscale brand normally associated with upscale lines like Regent (Seven Seas) whereas Steiner Spa...not so much. Given that Regent even has on their Compass Rose menu meals centered around Canyon Ranch it will be interesting to see if that continues with Steiner or not.."

JMHO - Canyon Ranch is over-rated and over-priced for what it is.  I'd be happy to see Steiner or an Elemis Spa on Regent.

On 7/18/2019 at 8:35 PM, Catpow said:

My research tells me they are a Florida company, based in Coral Gables, founded in 1926.  Elemis is also one of their brands as is a facial brand called Bliss.  

You did better research than I did.  It could be because I could only find "Onboard Spa by Steiner" which may be the Australian version.  I kept seeing job openings and postings from Down Under!

If true, good riddance. Canyon Ranch at Sea is overrated, over priced, and overly aggressive in pushing upgrades and products. We love spa experiences, but have Canyon Ranch on our last couple of Regent cruises due to so many negative prior experiences.

• Like 1

They have always been based in the UK and have multiple brands. Most of the staff/crew are rewarded for upsell and most do not have the best training and experience. 

Before Carita on Radisson, it was Judith Jackson Spa from 2001-2004/2005.  They were a US Spa based in New England.  I like the Elemis products but their spa is pricey and I rarely do spa time onboard when there is a Steiner Spa.

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2019 at 12:02 PM, BeginTheBeguine said:

Thank you ChatCat for the name of Judith Jackson Spa. I knew there was one before Carina, I just couldn’t remember the name. I actually liked their toiletries they provided in the suites. 

We did too.  Lemon Bath gel and Shampoos were very nice.