Escagot

RocHed11

We still see it at least once on a 7 or 10 day, sometimes twice on a 10.  Others report some success with asking for it more.  Some say they were turned down for additional service on other days.

We never ask, since we enjoy it the one time and we don’t want to get bored with it.  

Mangia! Paul 

I have done two recent cruises from Australia of 13 days. I asked about the Escargot's, unfortunately I did not taste these delicious molluscs once. I will be cruising next month on a 35 day cruise. I am hoping they are served. 😉

This is one of those cruise oddities.  People seem to clamor for them, and  now that they have mixed availability, even more so.  The reason it's so strange to me, is this is a readily available food at home that is about as easy to prepare as a cup of coffee.  And the home version is usually better.  I tend to find the ones on board are overcooked and too firm. 

I guess it's just a cruise thing for people....

I think it's just the garlic butter that gives the taste.Where we live,when it rains all the snails come into the road.The locals then come out and collect them in bags.We walk ahead and put them back in the grass,lol.Can't rescue them all though.Gives a few a fighting chance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's been hit-and-miss I had it luckily had it on my Alaska sailing on the Golden, but then soon after I completed all those I went on the Caribbean Princess and they did not have so they replace it with what they call shrimp cargot which is just simply shrimp and all that delicious garlic butter sauce. The reasoning behind the missing escargot is because of a shortage off the distributor that they usually get it from. Isn't very difficult to get in the last several months.

21 minutes ago, partybarbie said:

We spent three weeks on the Royal this Spring, right before she went to Alaska.  Escargot was not available, even by special request. 

My experience also first week of June on the Royal 😞

"We spent three weeks on the Royal this Spring, right before she went to Alaska.  Escargot was not available, even by special request."

2 1-week cruises on the Caribbean Princess in late May & early July - No escargot on either cruise, even on formal nights. Waiter said it had been discontinued because the price had tripled! That cheap shrimp imitation is terrible!!

First time in more than 50 cruises (21 with Princess) with no escargot!!!

6 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

It's been hit-and-miss I had it luckily had it on my Alaska sailing on the Golden, but then soon after I completed all those I went on the Caribbean Princess and they did not have so they replace it with what they call shrimp cargot which is just simply shrimp and all that delicious garlic butter sauce. The reasoning behind the missing escargot is because of a shortage off the distributor that they usually get it from. Isn't very difficult to get in the last several months.

Had the "shrimp-cargo" on the Pacific Princess a couple of months ago, and it just didn't make up for the real thing. I tasted one and sent the rest back. YUCK! It sure didn't work as a substitute for the wonderful snails in that delicious garlic butter sauce. Very disappointing that they didn't have the real thing available!

I'm hoping the snail variety will be available on my cruise that is coming up soon so I can get my fix.

2 hours ago, metairiegal said:

"We spent three weeks on the Royal this Spring, right before she went to Alaska.  Escargot was not available, even by special request."

2 1-week cruises on the Caribbean Princess in late May & early July - No escargot on either cruise, even on formal nights. Waiter said it had been discontinued because the price had tripled! That cheap shrimp imitation is terrible!!

First time in more than 50 cruises (21 with Princess) with no escargot!!!

Going on the Golden for 26 days...I was hoping, this is sad news.

30 minutes ago, janina said:

Going on the Golden for 26 days...I was hoping, this is sad news.

I was onboard this summer for 4 weeks on the Golden while in Alaska. Had escargot each week. However the cruise prior to my joining they had the shrimp. My fingers are crossed for you.

We had them on the Emerald in late May/June.. Med.  I admit that I do enjoy them, but there are other things that if eliminated, would impact me more.  Hope this is a temp. thing on those other ships.🤞

We were on the Sapphire last month in northern Europe and they served escargot at the meal that included lobster.  The escargot was delicious probably due to the garlic butter but the lobster was as tough as leather.  We were on a b2b and so the second cruise I had the escargot but skipped the tough lobster.  On all our cruises so far we have had escargot served on the night they offered lobster usually the last formal night.   

17 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Isn't that also called Shrimp Scampi?

Sorta! But not as good as Shrimp Scampi!

The shrimps were tucked into the little wells on the special platter where the snails are  normally placed. I recall the shrimp version I tried being overcooked and tough. Not good! That's why I sent the rest back.

Edited by flamomo

I was on a Royal Caribbean Symphony of the Sea cruise in January.  They had escargot on their everyday menu.  I had it every night.

If Royal Caribbean can have it, why can’t Princess?

Edited by phabric