Narratives from Navigator in Norway

12 hours ago, Boatmans Lady said:

I see you recommend using Tapatalk, but when I tried to install it, I got a message saying it wasn't available in the UK.

Can you possibly shed any light on this, please.

Sorry, no. That does sound strange.

I have not used TapaTalk much this trip as logging in can be very awkward since CC changed their website.

Today is the last day of our cruise 🙁

Navigator docked in Amsterdam around 1pm and we went on an excursion to the Hermitage Museum and then on a boat trip around the canals, terminating within walking distance of the ship.

The excursion was good but probably could have been a little shorter.

Here are some photos taken in the Hermitage and on the canals:

0FA91438-4978-434E-BAFD-D0B20F3D1242.thumb.jpeg.7ab3c736c8661b82a069be1af39d6722.jpeg

D33D5AFB-BE48-40FA-9B8C-E1C5A91AC49C.thumb.jpeg.529b50cb373528011a8db09023188c2c.jpeg

DF223C87-D59F-4105-9ADC-AF5C1F33D7B9.thumb.jpeg.ac134e46dfb9d0ee9a53a74509e4bd8e.jpeg

DC0B93A0-A2F5-4C3C-83FF-2372BFA983BB.thumb.jpeg.7b3c8d2630953a3a22b36b85f49078ac.jpeg

F474EB63-5185-4298-B242-F793A33D3B14.thumb.jpeg.a29546f31c41bdd124e623c365b6794f.jpeg

The weather today was generally good but with the occasional heavy rain shower.

We were back just in time to change for our dinner date in Prime 7 with a lovely couple we met last week. A very enjoyable way to spend our last evening.

Our journey tomorrow should not be too arduous and we hope to be back home by early afternoon.

This has been an excellent cruise - ship, officers, crew, food, drink, entertainment, itinerary, excursions cannot be faulted. Even the weather behaved on most days 😎

Thanks for tagging along and for all the supportive comments along the way 🥂

• Like 3

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your adventures!! We recently booked our 1st Regent cruise on the Navigator for next Sept so soaking up everything I can about the ship and the Regent experience. Also, traveling to Norway, though on a different cruise line, in the spring so a double bonus viewing your gorgeous photos of the scenery. 

I also enjoyed a reminiscent moment when you mentioned the Mersey Boys. They performed last fall on our NCL Breakaway TA and joined the dueling piano singers for a few songs here and there as well. 

Again, a warm thank you for brightening my days with your blog!

• Thanks 1

It was a pleasure meeting you and David on this voyage.  You are definitely one of best Live bloggers on CC. Your beautiful pictures and unbiased commentary were fantastic, and I looked forward to checking your posts each day. Safe travels, and we hope to see you again on a future adventure. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Susan, what a treat it was this morning to do a "cover to cover" catch-up read of your blog.  Your commentary was superb, your photos stunning. Thank you for taking the time to bring this wonderful itinerary alive for us!

Rich

• Like 1

Thank you, Susan, for a wonderfully informative blog. Although some ports are different for next year’s similar cruise, I did make notes on your excursions when ports will be the same. Hope you arrived home safely.

• Like 1

Flossie thanks so much for a wonderful thread. You always manage to do a perfect trip report and take us all along with you.  This will have to suffice until our next planned cruise in April on Splendour.

Safe travels home and thanks again, Jean. X

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We arrived home yesterday after a very easy and quick journey.

I know British Airways get some criticism (often warranted) but yesterday they could not be faulted. The aircraft wheels left the ground on time at 11:40am and we arrived at Heathrow 20 minutes early, also at 11:40am because of the time difference. 

During the 1 hour journey the friendly cabin crew even managed to serve a more than passable lunch with drinks.

There was plenty of walking at both Schiphol and Heathrow - probably a good thing to get plenty of exercise after a Regent cruise 😉

We were home and fully unpacked before it was time for afternoon tea ................ wait ........... no scones? ............... no cake? no smiling wait staff? ........ Back to reality again 🥴

David & I have enjoyed sharing our highly enjoyable cruise; the supportive comments from fellow CC members have certainly helped us to feel that the illustrated  "narratives" have been appreciated. Thanks again for the unwarranted but very welcome compliments.

Even though there was no official Meet & Mingle this cruise, we did meet up with other like-minded CC members who either post or just "lurk". 

We realise that our posts have concentrated on excursions; probably because we specifically chose this cruise for the itinerary and the majority of the tours were so good. Kudos to the Destinations Services staff for arranging things so well for the three additional Norwegian ports added at short notice.

So here are a few last comments concentrating on the ship.

This was only our second cruise on the Navigator and this longer cruise confirmed what a cosy, comfortable and welcoming environment there is on board. The recent refurbishment has improved some areas; we particularly noticed the positive changes to Prime 7.

The officers, staff and crew were all friendly and helpful throughout our voyage. It is a "happy ship" with everyone supporting each other in their work. 

Food was excellent; in particular we found the offerings on the lunch buffet in La Veranda to be varied and delicious. Some good wines were served and the sommeliers never let our glasses run dry 😊

Even though we had the occasional cold, inclement day the public areas did not get too crowded. La Veranda at lunch was well managed using the tables in the adjacent Prime 7 as a natural overspill. 

We met many amiable & interesting fellow guests from a variety of countries. We tend to opt for a sharing table for Dinner and there was only one occasion where the conversation became uncomfortable (religion & politics); Navigator may be small but it is still large enough to avoid others if necessary 🤨

Would we sail on Navigator again? Certainly. We already have a cruise booked on her for next year.

Some final photographs:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_840.thumb.jpg.b64f46303cef312f794f5b074758c200.jpg

The other one of a pair of Art pieces on Navigator (see post #14)

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_842.thumb.jpg.6e9f53a4716ab80f2512f5bc4d974d1c.jpg

A Russian lady from Murmansk

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_845.thumb.jpg.5f7c6f11dbf4a11f873f989f74853d07.jpg

A final Troll

And to end. The question is - Where on our travels did we see this?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_841.thumb.jpg.205cc4d392f512284d6396b407cfdfb4.jpg

We will now go back to reading @boblerm's excellent blog and hopefully some other reports of Regent cruises to while away the time until we are next on board a Regent ship ............... thankfully not too long 😎

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Flossie for your entertaining and positive review. After reading some negative comments regarding Navigator, which was our first Regent experience many years ago, we were concerned about our next Navigator experience In Australia next year. We are now reassured, thank you again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

Thank you so much for your your commentary and pictures, I'm now even more excited to board Navigator in November!

6 hours ago, chuckw said:

Thank you for your excellent posts, we just booked our fifth Navigator cruise after your reports, and I must say the price is much better than our next two Explorer cruises.

Good to hear that you will experience Regent's little ship Navigator. More than any of Regent's other ships it does appear to divide opinions.

Just in case I am labelled a Navigator champion, promoter or defender let me add that the ship does have some drawbacks e.g. only one speciality restaurant and the aft vibration that is often discussed.

Regarding the vibration we found it to be worst when docking or leaving port, particularly if the ship was in reverse or the side thrusters were used. Speaking to others who have sailed on Navigator for many years it appears that the vibration is much reduced these days but it is certainly still very noticeable.

We had a suite towards the aft and found no problems sleeping through the night when sailing. We did have some annoying creaks and rattles from the bed headboard early in the cruise but 15 minutes of effort from the ship's joiner with his hammer and wedges sorted the issue for the rest of the cruise 👍