Countdown to a cruise … in Cocktails

groryjm

In the past here on cruise critic roll calls and elsewhere I have seen various count downs for the last 10 or so days before sail away day often using what my DD calls “memes”. These add a touch of humour and anticipation to the excitement ones feels as cruise day nears. Last year as we neared our Norwegian adventure I attempted to post pictures of little tableau with ever decreasing numbers of X pillow chocs until there were none.

This year we board Silhouette in a little less than twelve days on an adventure to Iceland via Ireland. I will of course be posting a “Live From” here nearer the time. As a build-up I plan to mentally take my self through the bars and restaurants of the ship and sample some of the excellent cocktails aboard a Celebrity ship…. But recreated in my own home bar. With apologies to the old English Christmas carol first published in 1780……….

On the twelfth night before cruising my true love made for me a Blue Martini from the Martini Bar

194456658_12-MartiniBar-BlueMartini.thumb.JPG.8c4d2c1104a157cc1c9c34800547ca6f.JPG

As a general rule when I make cocktails at home, and to be honest that is most nights, I use millimetres rather than ounces as I find them easier to keep my recipes consistent.

As a rough guide for those more accustomed to imperial measures one ounce is roughly 30ml and a splash is 5ml or 1/6th ounce. I always freshly squeeze lemons or limes and my simple syrup is 2 to 1.

461086818_12-MartiniBar.JPG.d14fc0a63024c317418b80b062aa7a1c.JPG

The Martini Bar lists the Blue Martini as GREY GOOSE®  vodka, HPNOTIQ® and white cranberry juice. Unfortunately white cranberry isn’t available in the UK so I substituted red. This is my version….

60ml Grey Goose vodka

30ml Hpnotiq

A splash of cranberry juice

Edited by groryjm
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I like it! I do think you should make yourself a similar drink at home for the next 11 nights just to add another dimension. 😉

you've been reading my mind 😉 .....11 more nights to go 🍸

• Like 1

On the eleventh day of cruising my true love sent to me

A Cosmopolitan on Celeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebriiiiiiiiteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

cosmopolitan-cocktail.jpg

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

What a fun idea! Thanks for the effort you are making, and you are brightening my day! I will be following this. Today marks 50 days until I board the Reflection for a western Med cruise. Too many drinks for me to think of!

On the eleventh night before cruising my true love made for me a Blue Sea Breeze from Murano

855370069_11-Murano-BlueSeaBreeze.thumb.JPG.3b6fa797c58c60fec75f31c78704e958.JPG

239109191_11-Murano.JPG.3be1fa666b83e1ac1a12e85b614396ec.JPG

When we ate in Murano on Equinox a few years ago they had an excellent signature cocktail listed on the menu as the Blue Sea Breeze with Hendricks Gin, St-Germain elderflower liqueur, Blue Curaçao, fresh lemon juice, simple syrup. This is my version….

50ml Hendricks Gin

20ml St-Germain elderflower liqueur

20ml Blue Curaçao

20ml lemon juice

20ml simple syrup

Shake with ice and serve in a chilled martini glass

Edited by groryjm
  • Like 5

Completing online order for groceries tomorrow...Oh bother, they don’t stock elderflower liqueur...I need a cruise vacation...

Groryjym again sincere thanks for an original and enjoyable post!

I like your thinking, sir!!!  Very entertaining! 😃  Unfortunately, we are still exactly 100 days from our Eastern Mediterranean cruise, and 480+ days from our Central America cruise. 

8 hours ago, DENIE said:

I like your thinking, sir!!!  Very entertaining! 😃  Unfortunately, we are still exactly 100 days from our Eastern Mediterranean cruise, and 480+ days from our Central America cruise. 

No reason to wait - just start at day 100 and count down....it will help pass the time. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On the tenth night before cruising my true love made for me a Classic Martini from the Martini Bar

1448343739_10-MartiniBar-ClassicMartini.thumb.JPG.b2ebe2ff2e1763c4f3c6b87e46e6e82a.JPG

1089581830_10-MartiniBar.JPG.f4d8c325057b0a6456730a7f7478b033.JPG

The Martini Bar lists the Classic Martini as GREY GOOSE® vodka, a dash of NOILLY PRAT® original French dry vermouth. Usually we have Absolute at home but for the sake of authenticity I used Grey Goose instead. Personally I feel a true martini should be gin based but to be true to the Martini Bar here is their version….

60ml Grey Goose vodka

30ml Noilly Prat original dry

Shake with ice and serve in a chilled martini glass garnished with an olive or three.

• Like 3

Make sure you check and report back if I can get my ‘Queen Mother’ cocktail on board, stirred, not shaken....

Groryjm you could be the first person to board having already worked their way through the full Martini Bar menu!

• Like 1