Idea! Seperate line at bars for wine/beer?

bhughey

We were at a bar in the Caribbean recently and during happy hour - or any other particularly busy time - the bar set up a separate line for people just ordering beer or wine (or water or soda) vs. those who were ordering mixed & frozen drinks, which tend to take a bit longer. I've often though this would be a great idea on board, especially at the pool bars. Sometimes you just want to grab a beer, which only requires someone to pop the top, but you end up waiting behind 5 people who are ordering mudslides, daiquiris, pina coladas and so forth.

Edited by bhughey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, that may solve the pool problem... presuming you are not behind people waiting to order food, as the purchase area is where folks also line up to order. For example, the sky bar, the Craft Bar (formerly Gstrobar on EQ), Sky bar (particularly during events) or Sunset Bar, there are often people with what we call "complicated orders". 

• Like 1

The bar figured out that was a quicker way to separate people from their money, and the beer and wine is probably a higher profit center. 

With a a high percentage of passengers on drink packages, the ship has already separated you from your money. No advantage to letting you get more in the same period of time...

• Like 2

Or maybe they should just be more consistent with the drink push carts that circulate. On our last cruise over NYE, theybhad multiple carts at all times on sea days. That definitely hepled.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Can already hear the muttering as I walk to front of line for a beer, right past six people waiting to order mudslides and bbc's.   Better solution is to convert half the Canyon Ranch and Park West staff to bartenders.

Agree!

I must say I love how the bar staff on X multi-task....often opening a beer for guest and pouring a mixed drink as the wizzer mixes a cocktail...

We love the way staff at bars remember orders too. Last year on Reflection we were particularly impressed a member of staff at the sunset bar who greeted the arrival of myself, husband and adult son with “Hello, hello, two Budweisers and one ‘I don’t know what to have’ cocktail!”....Do you think I am indecisive?

Seriously, we never seem to find much in the way of queuing on Celebrity, even on busy sea day....We obviously are not making the most of our drinks packages. Must try harder in six weeks...

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, farmermd said:

The next thing you will be asking for is suite guests to have their own check-in line, pool area, and restaurant....

gotta love the class system!

How in the world does this have anything to do with what a "class" system? It's merely an idea to improve efficiency at a bar? 

Edited by bhughey
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, bhughey said:

We were at a bar in the Caribbean recently and during happy hour - or any other particularly busy time - the bar set up a separate line for people just ordering beer or wine (or water or soda) vs. those who were ordering mixed & frozen drinks, which tend to take a bit longer. I've often though this would be a great idea on board, especially at the pool bars. Sometimes you just want to grab a beer, which only requires someone to pop the top, but you end up waiting behind 5 people who are ordering mudslides, daiquiris, pina coladas and so forth.

That would appeal to me, since I don't drink umbrella drinks.  I generally drink wine.  Not sure that everyone would appreciate that solution.

11 hours ago, markeb said:

The bar figured out that was a quicker way to separate people from their money, and the beer and wine is probably a higher profit center. 

With a a high percentage of passengers on drink packages, the ship has already separated you from your money. No advantage to letting you get more in the same period of time...

You are exactly right - giving you more to drink is not their goal.. They make it very difficult for you to get a drink as they already have your dough via the drink package "perk"-  unmotivated servers add to the problem. 

Edited by Forecheck
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, farmermd said:

The next thing you will be asking for is suite guests to have their own check-in line, pool area, and restaurant....

gotta love the class system!

Dumbest thing I have read on here ever... Class system ? ..The op is offering a solution to long lines at the bar via a line for beer/wine which are quicker to serve. Give your head a shake !

Proposed solution does not  get to the  real problem which is a staffing issue.. Sometimes there is only 1 server...for many people. They don't need more lines...just more staff to.keep things moving. 

They should also stop giving out warm water on the Classic package sometimes they tell you it will be warm BUT  if you pay you can get larger bottle which will be cold!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Proposed solution does not  get to the  real problem which is a staffing issue.. Sometimes there is only 1 server...for many people. They don't need more lines...just more staff to.keep things moving. 

They should also stop giving out warm water on the Classic package sometimes they tell you it will be warm BUT  if you pay you can get larger bottle which will be cold!

Valid...

Having 2 separate lines would be great.  I could walk up and get a beer real fast and then drink it while waiting in line to get the more complicated one that I want.  

Drink up 🍷🍸🥂🍾🍹🍻

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/31/2019 at 9:18 PM, the_dylaness said:

I just wish they would make the drinks on the premium package more widely available. I was annoyed on Reflection in November to have paid extra for premium drinks (namely wine) but most of the time they are very, very hard to find.

Sometimes that is also the case with some basic liquers etc..They can usually find it someplace,  but  you might have to  request it and wait for the next time you visit that bar....not enough staff to track it down right away. 

8 hours ago, miched said:

Having 2 separate lines would be great.  I could walk up and get a beer real fast and then drink it while waiting in line to get the more complicated one that I want.  

Drink up 🍷🍸🥂🍾🍹🍻

We had a problem in one of the local supermarkets with those paying by check in the Express lines.  So now there is a line for check writers and not allowed in the Express lines.  

My experience this past January on the Equinox, it's a staffing issue. My wife and I rarely saw a beverage cart (three times I can remember) and they were not serving, it looked like they were going to refill their supplies or moving to another location. I spent a lot of time in the adult area and never saw one. I agree it is because of so many being on the drink package.

But again, it will very from cruise to cruise and ship to ship.

I agree, they collected the money or gave the packages in the fare but do not adequately supply staff to serve  everyone.

Lines at bars  never used to be an issue, although  receiving served drinks on the pool deck always seemed to take forever!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/30/2019 at 6:25 PM, Baron Barracuda said:

Can already hear the muttering as I walk to front of line for a beer, right past six people waiting to order mudslides and bbc's.   Better solution is to convert half the Canyon Ranch and Park West staff to bartenders.

Hey BB- no muttering directed at you as the OP proposes a separate line- which of course you might still have to wait in but probably a lot less time.  More bartenders or wait staff might help a lot too but a separate line would help and is easiest to implement. 

On 7/31/2019 at 7:08 AM, Forecheck said:

You are exactly right - giving you more to drink is not their goal.. They make it very difficult for you to get a drink as they already have your dough via the drink package "perk"-  unmotivated servers add to the problem. 

Servers are easily motivated....$$$$$$$

• Thanks 1