HELP Passport Information

klangel

My USA passport is expiring on Dec 2019. Looking at a cruise that sail on Aug 27, 2019. What other documents can I provide to get on ship. Ports are San Juan PR, Grand Turk and Amber Cove DR will I have a problem with getting back on ship with an close to expire passport? If I were to renew passport now I’m afraid I will not get new passport on time for the cruise. Have anyone come upon this problem ? 

No problems.

None of those destinations even require a passport, so no 6 month validity is required.

And you can re-enter the US up to at least the day before your passport expires.

Cruise, then renew.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SRF said:

No problems.

None of those destinations even require a passport, so no 6 month validity is required.

And you can re-enter the US up to at least the day before your passport expires.

Cruise, then renew.

Good to know. I was always under the impression it need to be valid at lest 6 months when taking the cruise.

26 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

If you do a search here:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country.html

You can find out for yourself what each country's requirements are.

That page is outdated and returns a "Page Not Found" error when you enter a country's name.

The current page is here:  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages.html

However you still have to be cautious when using the State Department's website for that information. Although it's better than it used to be, it hasn't always had accurate information on passport requirements for cruisers who are US citizens on a closed loop cruise. As you know they are subject to much less stringent requirements for entry to most Caribbean islands than those arriving by air because of the WHTI agreement.

9 hours ago, klangel said:

My USA passport is expiring on Dec 2019. Looking at a cruise that sail on Aug 27, 2019. What other documents can I provide to get on ship. Ports are San Juan PR, Grand Turk and Amber Cove DR will I have a problem with getting back on ship with an close to expire passport? If I were to renew passport now I’m afraid I will not get new passport on time for the cruise. Have anyone come upon this problem ? 

You don't have a problem. Just use your passport.

3 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Good to know. I was always under the impression it need to be valid at lest 6 months when taking the cruise.

Not true at all. Rarely on a cruise is the six month requirement followed, unless it is required in the country of embarkation or debarkation.

29 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Not true at all. Rarely on a cruise is the six month requirement followed, unless it is required in the country of embarkation or debarkation.

This is what I read. So I do closed loop cruises and I guess I have no problems anyhow.

Most travelers know they need a passport to travel internationally, but few are aware that, in many instances, your passport must be valid longer than your stay. In fact, many countries require it to be valid for six months beyond your intended return date. If it expires before that, you may be denied boarding or entry upon arrival at your destination and have to go straight home. To be safe, verify that your passport is valid for at least six months after your intended return date — if the expiration date is uncomfortably close to the cutoff, make sure you renew it way ahead of time. Unfortunately, this is something airlines will rarely mention, even when you’re booking, so consider yourself warned.

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

It's not just the requirements of the countries of embarkation and disembarkation. The requirements of each and every country on the itinerary are enforced.

Also, the requirements for cruise passengers are frequently different than for air or land visitors.

So just because a passport must have 6 months validity for a person arriving by air, they may not need to be for cruise.

But under WHTI a passport is not required for closed loop cruises for US citizens (except for Cuba when cruises went there), there is no requirement for 6 month validity.  How could you need a your passport to be valid for 6 months, when you don't need a passport at all?

The only valid source of info is the Embassy or Consulate of the country in question.  The State Department page typically is up to date, but it may not be.

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

Actually, it is followed and passengers WILL NOT be allowed to embark on at least one cruiseline if passport is not valid for 6 months from date of trip completion. It is your responsibility to ensure you follow each Cruiseline’s T&C.    Please check with each cruiseline for their particular rules regarding passport expiration.  

from Oceania’s FAQ:   

Passports must be valid six months from the date of trip completion...

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005404414-Do-I-need-a-passport-visa-or-special-vaccinations-

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cruseforme said:

Actually, it is followed and passengers WILL NOT be allowed to embark on at least one cruiseline if passport is not valid for 6 months from date of trip completion. It is your responsibility to ensure you follow each Cruiseline’s T&C.    Please check with each cruiseline for their particular rules regarding passport expiration.  

from Oceania’s FAQ:   

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005404414-Do-I-need-a-passport-visa-or-special-vaccinations-

That is a cruise line requirement which does supersede the legal requirement.

21 hours ago, Cruseforme said:

from Oceania’s FAQ:   

I cannot agree more. I know this is so for P&O UK cruises- they need 6 months even for an EU cruise.

I think it's probably a blanket requirement because of cruise lines going to so many varied countries, but you must find out what the line's policy is.

33 minutes ago, jocap said:

I cannot agree more. I know this is so for P&O UK cruises- they need 6 months even for an EU cruise.

I think it's probably a blanket requirement because of cruise lines going to so many varied countries, but you must find out what the line's policy is.

Can you cruise to the EU  without a passport??

22 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Can you cruise to the EU  without a passport??

No, we can only go to the Republic of Ireland without a passport. But we can use a passport until its last day in the EU... it's the cruise line which won't let us.

• Thanks 1