Payment defaulted, have to repay a week before the cruise!

Templ_19

20 hours ago, czimm said:

Some of these responses were kind of harsh.  I guess the rest of you have never had to live paycheck to paycheck, and have never gotten behind on things.  

On the contrary, I think MANY (if not most) of us have lived paycheck-to-paycheck before.... we just didn't book an "airplane and cruise ship vacation" when we were in such dire financial straits!

I remember a "weekend away" back in the very early 90s that consisted of a bag of chips, a package of Oreos, and cooler of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and cans of soda.  We drove up north on Saturday morning, slept in the front seats of the car with the seatbacks reclined on Saturday night, and drove back home on Sunday afternoon.  We "splurged" on breakfast at McDonald's on Sunday morning.  We sure as heck didn't go on a cruise!  

• Like 4

I for one hope it worked out for OP.  I know how it can be, paying for something cash when you have the $$ to do so, and then you get hit with something unexpected and all of a sudden that money you have saved for the vacation is needed elsewhere, even if you aren’t a paycheck to paycheck person ordinarily.

OP, want to update us?

22 minutes ago, erdoran said:

I for one hope it worked out for OP.  I know how it can be, paying for something cash when you have the $$ to do so, and then you get hit with something unexpected and all of a sudden that money you have saved for the vacation is needed elsewhere, even if you aren’t a paycheck to paycheck person ordinarily.

OP, want to update us?

Hope it worked out also. However the biggest issue was the OP not noticing 900.00 back into their account AND questioning it. Then spending it on other things like it was found money.

Hopefully the OP has learned to balance/check their accounts more often.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 2:26 PM, czimm said:

Some of these responses were kind of harsh.  I guess the rest of you have never had to live paycheck to paycheck, and have never gotten behind on things.  

Of course I have.

First thing I do is cut out exorbitant expenses that I can’t afford that will just make the situation worse.

Like planning a $10K cruise, for example, just spit balling. 

• Like 1

Templ I hope you have it figured out.  It’s awful that this happened - I doubt you would get much of a refund from them this late, too.  Could you borrow money from anyone?

best of luck to you 

If you are "living paycheck to paycheck"   and "getting behind"?    Is it very smart to bury yourself further and go on a cruise?    Good grief.    The facts-   you claim are harsh are just that-  facts,  there is no other intent. 

40 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

If you are "living paycheck to paycheck"   and "getting behind"?    Is it very smart to bury yourself further and go on a cruise?

Yeah... when I saw the suggestion to borrow money I was kind of surprised.  Granted, I don't know everything at play here, but the facts I saw are the OP 1) has less the $900 in available liquid assets and 2) does not pay close enough attention to their finances to notice a $900 discrepancy.  That is a bad combination, and certainly not one where more debt makes sense!

Some of these responses were kind of harsh.

Suggesting that someone finds a way to have a vacation that is within their current means isn't harsh, it is honesty.  It isn't an attempt to judge someone negatively.  Most of us have had times where we've needed to make sacrifices because of the realities of life.  Pretending someone doesn't need to do so in an effort to make them feel better is ultimately far more dangerous than telling them the truth!

• Like 1

Not to criticize anyone, but with all the issues with scams, hacking and all the other issues with on-line transactions, I have all my accounts set to very low limits so that I know immediately if anything over $50.00 is charged to any account or if any amount if debited back into my account.  I also get daily balance notices so that I always know what i know what is happening with my accounts.  

In today's world we all rely upon technology, so ensure that you are doing your own monitoring and not letting the USPS do it for you when you get the statements in the snail mail.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CruiseGal999 said:

It was a typo or autocorrect. You know that, right?  Lol!!

That poster nitpicks other posts when there is a typo, and gives snarky remarks (look at their posting history), so I wanted the pleasure of giving them a dose of their own.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Templ I hope you have it figured out.  It’s awful that this happened - I doubt you would get much of a refund from them this late, too.  Could you borrow money from anyone?

best of luck to you 

Responses were  kind of harsh?     Please this is a joke  right?

OP....it seems if you cannot scrape  up  even $900.....you  cannot  AFFORD to cruise!

You are  from the USA?  Me  too.  Guess what?  We  can't have everything we want!

If  you ARE living  paycheck to paycheck;  you would be far better off putting the cost of a cruise into a ROTH IRA.

Forget the cruise.  MAybe some day.  Reality  sucks  sometimes.

9 hours ago, adam_s_allen said:

There’s also the possibility that OP did notice the extra $900 in their account and was hoping NCL wouldn’t notice.

Sorry to be a cynic also, but this was the first thing I thought as well.  If someone is short on funds, you DEFINITELY notice an extra $900 in your bank account. 😉  If they weren't planning to alert NCL to the error, they should have at least waited until after the cruise to spend the money. 

Whoever mentioned Quicken - I second that!  I have been using Quicken religiously for all my bank, investment & credit accounts since 1999.  I can tell you every penny I have spent in the last 20 years and where it went.  Not that I really want to know. 😂  But it's all there anytime I feel like crying over spilled milk and bad decisions. 🤣

Edited by pcakes122

I have to say that many of these comments are quite harsh. I automatically have funds from my paychecks going into retirement and savings, then I have a cruise savings where I put money into every paycheck. Once every two years I can afford an inside room of a lovely ship, and these trips are so important for my mental wellbeing. I am not rich by any means, but I live frugally so I can afford a vacation. The biggest difference between myself and the OP is that I look at my bank account online almost every day, and that's really the lesson here. If you're like me and don't keep a lot in your checking, you could easy overdraw the account. I'm also one of those unfortunate people that has free credit monitoring from the government because my identity was compromised a few years ago during the big security breach. Things like this can happen to anyone, so we should all check our finanaces regularly. I hope the OP figured this out, and I hope they have a great vacation and write a review to share with us. Us non-rich people deserve the chance to take a vacation too. It just requires a bit more planning.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AKR2011 said:

Us non-rich people deserve the chance to take a vacation too. It just requires a bit more planning.

Absolutely.... but the difference here is that you put the money aside into a savings account, so that you DO have the money to cruise.  By definition, you're not living paycheck-to-paycheck because you have money in savings. 

• Like 2

If someone isn't on top of their checking account, or has a low post count, why does that make them a troll?  They probably haven't come back because of the diatribe in this thread.

Roz

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Roz said:

If someone isn't on top of their checking account, or has a low post count, why does that make them a troll?  They probably haven't come back because of the diatribe in this thread.

Roz

Devils advocate

If one doesn't want/like the diatribe , then they shouldn't post to CC and handle it with NCL directly.

The OP chose to put the financial situation out there, it becomes fair game. You do have to have "thick skin" on CC.

Simple solution. . You owe $900.  Pay it and enjoy your cruise.  If you can't afford to do so, you don't go on the cruise.  Frankly, if $900 is going to break you, perhaps consider a vacation when your finances are back in order.  You'll be disappointed, but it's reality, sorry to say.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roz said:

If someone isn't on top of their checking account, or has a low post count, why does that make them a troll?  

Roz

......because this is exactly what trolls do.  They post topics that they know will put people on both extremes.  Just as you see with this topic where it ranges from 'pay what you owe them' to 'NCL customer service sucks'.

• Like 1