Payment defaulted, have to repay a week before the cruise!

Templ_19

13 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

It's not a good idea to tell a stranger to open a credit card to get a few bucks in OBC.   You don't know what their credit situation is, what their FICO score is or their financial situation.   Opening credit cards can have negative results.   Just sayin'.

Considering the OP doesn't have enough to even cover the cost of a cruise they probably aren't in the best financial shape.  No additional debt is needed.

Just my .02c worth from someone who used to have UGLY debt issues.   🙂

I hope you have the cash to back that statement up! 😀

• Like 1

OP is really cutting things close, and not just this cruise.

What would you do if your car broke down?  Or you had some medical emergency with some portion (or all?) of the bill not covered, or needed to be paid up front until insurance reimbursed?

NOTE:  That latter, a medical emergency, could  happen ON YOUR CRUISE, and you'd probably be asked to pay on the spot, in some cases BEFORE any medical care is provided.  (There are some horrible examples described here on CC like that, unfortunately.)

NCL refunded the money, so they need to be paid the FULL amount, meaning re-pay what they refunded.

They are appropriately not penalizing you, as this sounds like their mistake.  But nevertheless, you still need to PAY FOR THAT CRUISE.  What were you thinking could happen??

As others have said, if you don't even have a credit card to tide you over for another month, then was paying for a luxury like a cruise (and that is what a cruise is!) really a reasonable choice at this time?

GC

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Action Dave said:

We used uplift.com for our cruise payment.  1-844-257-5400 They were helpful to us. another number for them is 1-408-260-5156.  Hope all works out for you..

We sail on Aug 31 to Alaska..

OP can't even find $900, let's tell them to get a loan to pay for a vacation. Great advice! It will be appreciated when the washing machine gets broken.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

OP can't even find $900, let's tell them to get a loan to pay for a vacation. Great advice! It will be appreciated when the washing machine gets broken.

OP stated the 900 was not the full cruise cost. It wasn't clear if NCL was offering a refund of the rest or pay back the 900.

6 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

OP stated the 900 was not the full cruise cost. It wasn't clear if NCL was offering a refund of the rest or pay back the 900.

I’d take any refund I had coming and regroup if I was OP. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

So?

So the fact is that not paying the 900 could mean they lose a lot more than that. While some might strictly follow the sunk cost theory, others would think twice about forgetting any money on flights plus the rest of the money NCL has (if not offering a refund) in favor of not paying the 900.

Aug 28th?  You have 2 weeks.  If you have good credit score and a bank account and good relation with Bank of America you have a good chance to make the NCL credit card idea work.  Bank of America is the issuer of almost all cruise line credit cards.  

If you decide to apply, apply early.  Even with instant approval it may take 5 to 7 business days to receive the card.   Even though BOA is known to give out card numbers immediately after approval and before sending out the physical card you can only use the number with merchants who don't need the security code.  I am not 100% sure but I think NCL requires the security code. 

1 minute ago, smplybcause said:

So the fact is that not paying the 900 could mean they lose a lot more than that. While some might strictly follow the sunk cost theory, others would think twice about forgetting any money on flights plus the rest of the money NCL has (if not offering a refund) in favor of not paying the 900.

OK, I see your point.

I'm indeed a bit stricter than you, sunk cost theory wise. If you can't really afford the cruise in the first place I think it's a bad idea to spend another $900 to avoid a loss. Especially when you don't have $900. 

NCL could give a nice refund after selling the cabin to someone else, and if it really is their problem they should.

1 hour ago, AmazedByCruising said:

OK, I see your point.

I'm indeed a bit stricter than you, sunk cost theory wise. If you can't really afford the cruise in the first place I think it's a bad idea to spend another $900 to avoid a loss. Especially when you don't have $900. 

NCL could give a nice refund after selling the cabin to someone else, and if it really is their problem they should.

Hmmm... I thought I had read somewhere here that NCL *was* willing to refund all money, but now I can't find that.

That would make sense, b/c it was their "mistake" (wonder whatever happened!).

But that doesn't solve the sunk costs for air or hotels, etc.

It seems very peculiar, that NCL would suddenly "refund" some money that had been paid some time ago...!?

GC

It’s really weird that this happened in the first place.  Seems like NCL has some explaining to do to OP and maybe work with him/her a bit rather than just “pay up or you are cancelled”—ie perhaps give him a week or so to pay, especially if it involves applying for the NCL card.  

How in the world would something like this happen?  And why?

3 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

OK, I see your point.

Well I didn't say that's what I would do 😉. If the goof happened to me I'd just laugh at me missing the refund and pay it shuffling around money if I needed to, but I'd have the money. However the econ major in me is well versed in the fallacy of sunken costs and the psychology behind it and how explaining it sometimes just doesn't matter. Though on the flip side of the coin, only $900 for a cruise is a steal!! 😛

8 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

This is your fault-  for it being missed,  and you owe the money. Pay it.   You are  lucky your cruise wasn’t canceled and it’s still available for you to pay and go.   

Wow, I've been away from Cruise Critic.  So NCL is now randomly refunding people's money and cancelling their cruise?    

18 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

I wish I was in a situation where I wouldn't notice $900 extra dollars in my account...

My morning smile: I was thinking pretty much the same thing. We check and balance our account every month faithfully and wow an extra $900 would have made us happy but we would have known there was a mistake 

12 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

I am still not sure why the money was put back into the bank account in the first place; did I miss that?

Was it not accepted for payment ever? If not, why not?

Seems there are some background issues.

Good luck....😊

This same type of thing happened to me on my last cruise. The refund I got was only a small amount, the exact amount I'd just paid for the DSC. It was a glitch in their system.  I just paid it again and all was well.  Seems it's still going on.  

15 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Opening credit cards can have negative results.   Just sayin'.

🙂

Cole, your point is well taken and I don't disagree at all.  But I make that suggestion generically without presuming to know the OP's financial situation.  A credit card can be a solution (albeit, not always the  best solution) in a pinch...which it seems like she's in.  Only the OP knows if that's a viable option for her.  With any debt comes risk and responsibility.   

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Templ_19 said:

Sorry for any lack of information. I’m in the United States. The “Norwegian agent” i was referring to works directly with NCL. I’ve contacted my bank and the money was returned. However, because I wasn’t aware of the refund I tapped into some already. He said it was a glitch in their system and that the reservation is no longer confirmed so at any point before sailing I can forfeit my cabin. I guess the blame does fall back on me since the money was returned. I guess I’m just not understanding why the payment was refunded nearly 3 months later and that it was document on their end. It’s an unfortunate and disappointing situation to have planned this cruise since January, Pay in full, and just days before sailing see that for some reason the payment defaulted. 

If by some 'glitch' they had overcharged you by $900 would you expect them to return it to you? 

I received an email last week saying that "during the upgrade there were inadvertent changes made to my booking that incorrectly triggered a refund (mostly around air).  We are in the process of rectifying the booking and recharging your credit card for the discrepancy."

I immediately checked my credit card statement and lo and behold, they had refunded a large chunk of money - though my booking still says paid in full.  They haven't recharged my credit card yet, but I am hoping they do, rather than cancel my booking!!

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 9:26 PM, mianmike said:

Wow, I've been away from Cruise Critic.  So NCL is now randomly refunding people's money and cancelling their cruise?    

The random refund DID happen.  The OP OWES the $900 BACK to NCL.   Cruise being cancelled NEVER happened, as far as I have read in this thread.  

2 hours ago, orimeep said:

I received an email last week saying that "during the upgrade there were inadvertent changes made to my booking that incorrectly triggered a refund (mostly around air).  We are in the process of rectifying the booking and recharging your credit card for the discrepancy."

I immediately checked my credit card statement and lo and behold, they had refunded a large chunk of money - though my booking still says paid in full.  They haven't recharged my credit card yet, but I am hoping they do, rather than cancel my booking!!

You need to call NCL and repay.. the amount they refunded to you. If you don't they can cancel your cruise and believe me, you don't want that. MAKE THE CALL TO NCL!!

I know it sounds crazy but they can cancel your cruise if you don't repay your the amount they refunded.  

They almost cancelled mine for a payment I'd made and they cancelled in the amount of only $140+... (not the exact amount sorry I don't remember the exact)