Passport required!

JF - retired RRT

I'm a fan of bringing a passport with you whenever you leave the US.  You never know when you will need the help of a US Embassy or Consulate.  They like to see a passport before offering help.  That having been said, my elderly neighbor booked an Oceana closed loop cruise R/T out of New York to Bermuda.  A month before the cruise, she realized she couldn’t find her passport which put her into a panic.  She asked me for help so I called Oceana and told them she had her birth certificate and photo driver license and I was told she had to have a passport to sail on the cruise.  I explained to the Oceana rep that it was a closed loop cruise and that she had all necessary WHTI compliant documents for that cruise.  The Oceana rep said “If she shows up without a passport, she’s not getting on our ship.”  I replied that I wouldn’t ever be getting on one of their ships either and hung up.

We had to get her to a US Passport Center to get her an expedited passport.  It arrived three days before the sailing.  WHTI compliant documents are not about getting into another country, they are U.S. regulations for what you need to get back into the United States.  Although US Customs and Border Protection will accept certain documents for re-entry to the United States, each cruise line is free to specify what they want for sailing or you don’t get on their ship…:classic_sad:

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 3:33 PM, Ombud said:

WHTI does not require a passport on a 'closed loop' cruise .... it may be a good idea but not required. I travel with a passport bc I do not have an enhanced DL so I can't fly within USA either. Simple but not required. When in doubt listen to CBP https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

You miss the point ... 🙄

It doesn’t matter what you need to get on the ship ... it matters what you need to fly home from a port outside of the US!

42 minutes ago, MauiLvrs said:

You miss the point ... 🙄

It doesn’t matter what you need to get on the ship ... it matters what you need to fly home from a port outside of the US!

Which is why I included the info about Canada. But agree that it all depends WHERE you are going. Showed up better in original post. 20190823_181157.thumb.jpg.333fc370271c034f915c7d3bd1c88208.jpg

Everyone just needs to break down and get a passport.  Although you can do closed loops to the Caribbean from the US with a birth certificate and a state ID, it's not advisable.  In the event of an emergency, if you do not have a passport, you are very limited as to what you can do.  Emergency back home and no passport, can't fly home.  Unexpected illness or injury that causes you or travel companion to have to leave sailing for land based care, you will have a bureaucratic hill to climb with the local consulate to get you a passport so you can travel home.  Yes, these are highly unlikely, but if they happen, the last thing you want to have to deal with is figuring out how you're going to get home.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, broberts said:

23 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

Tom, if the ship is a closed loop leaving from Seattle and you decide to get off the ship in Canada to visit Victoria, you need a passport (if you do not get off the ship in Canada, no need for a passport).  I'm not talking about US Customs, I am talking about Canadian Customs.  If it is a closed loop out of Vancouver, you need a passport.  If it is a one way from Seattle to Seward (or Anchorage), you do not need a passport if you do not plan on exiting the ship in Canada.

With all that said, it's best that you have your passport since the ship is visiting a foreign port, even if you may not need it.  While US Customs is fine with other forms of ID, not so to enter Canada.  I've done 3 Alaskan cruises, I've needed my passport every time and it was heavily suggested that I bring it.

Just my 2¢.

Well, KTB, the fact is, on a closed loop you do not NEED a passport to get off of the ship in Victoria. The ONLY time that a passenger on a cruise needs to have a passport, at least on the Princess ships out of Seattle, is when you are scheduled on an excursion train out of Skagway where the train goes back into Canada. Any other time you get off of the ship at ANY other port (to include Victoria!) you can leave your passport in your stateroom safe and have no problems at all. You certainly CAN take your passport with you for whatever reason you have, but you will NOT BE REQUIRED to do so.

Tom

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Are you sure about this statement?  I thought that the ship has to stop at a distant foreign port if transporting passengers from one US city to another.

Isn’t that the reason  that Closed loop Alaska cruises stop in Canada and one way Alaska Cruise either stop or start in Canada?

Or perhaps I missed confused.

Jagofee, the requirement for the stop in a foreign port which is required by the PVSA is not required if the ship was built in the US, is registered in the US, and is crewed by US personnel. If the ship meets those 3 requirements it can then transport passengers from one US city to another. I believe that there are a few American ships that regularly do such runs, but I certainly may be wrong on that.

Tom

• Like 1

13 hours ago, capriccio said:

Tom, a frequent cruiser critic contributor, works at the Smith Cove Cruise Terminal (Princess, HAL, Celebrity, Carnival, Royal Caribbean) in Seattle and can be counted on to provided useful current advice and information on Seattle departures.

Thanks for the nice words, capriccio.

Tom

10 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Are you sure about this statement?  I thought that the ship has to stop at a distant foreign port if transporting passengers from one US city to another.

Isn’t that the reason  that Closed loop Alaska cruises stop in Canada and one way Alaska Cruise either stop or start in Canada?

Or perhaps I missed confused.

You're correct,  if you're transporting passengers from one US city to another you must stop at a distant foreign port which means one that is outside of North America. In this case North America includes Central America Bermuda, the Bahamas and all of the Caribbean except Aruba, Bonaire and Curaco.

Tom

9 hours ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

Jagofee, the requirement for the stop in a foreign port which is required by the PVSA is not required if the ship was built in the US, is registered in the US, and is crewed by US personnel. If the ship meets those 3 requirements it can then transport passengers from one US city to another. I believe that there are a few American ships that regularly do such runs, but I certainly may be wrong on that.

Tom

Norwegian's "Pride of America" makes regular loops around the Hawaiian islands.

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Norwegian's "Pride of America" makes regular loops around the Hawaiian islands.

Pride of America is registered out of Honolulu, its officers and crew are Americans and the hull was built in Mississippi.  Meets the criteria outlined by Pierlesscruisers.

12 hours ago, ShawninFL said:

Everyone just needs to break down and get a passport.  Although you can do closed loops to the Caribbean from the US with a birth certificate and a state ID, it's not advisable.  In the event of an emergency, if you do not have a passport, you are very limited as to what you can do.  Emergency back home and no passport, can't fly home.  Unexpected illness or injury that causes you or travel companion to have to leave sailing for land based care, you will have a bureaucratic hill to climb with the local consulate to get you a passport so you can travel home.  Yes, these are highly unlikely, but if they happen, the last thing you want to have to deal with is figuring out how you're going to get home.

Exactly, I am utterly beffudled by any of the reasons given for not getting a passport. Today it is easier, quicker and more painless than ever. They are cheap insurance against a bad day you hope never comes. 

• Like 1

We don’t carry passports on excursions but I believe Princess provides passenger data to the port authorities before we are allowed ashore (except St Petersburg where you go through Russian customs both coming and going).  Always travel outside US with a passport though, as we never know what may transpire that could require it.  We figure our passports are the most powerful personal information document we have.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoriPhil said:

We don’t carry passports on excursions but I believe Princess provides passenger data to the port authorities before we are allowed ashore (except St Petersburg where you go through Russian customs both coming and going).  

I read on one of these threads that if you miss the ship due to a late excursion, ship security will get your passports from your stateroom safe and deliver the actual passports to the port authorities.  I don't personally know if it is an accurate statement though and I have no intention of testing its veracity!  :classic_wink:

Just now, Daniel A said:

I read on one of these threads that if you miss the ship due to a late excursion, ship security will get your passports from your stateroom safe and deliver the actual passports to the port authorities.  I don't personally know if it is an accurate statement though and I have no intention of testing its veracity!  :classic_wink:

I believe delivery is to the cruise line port agent and occurs if the passports are in the safe, i.e. the cabin is not searched.

A search of these boards will turn up numerous discussions on this subject with posts from those claiming direct experience with the practice.

7 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Princess delivers them to the Port Agent for PCL. That is why I recommend to passengers to always take a copy of that day's Princess Patter as it lists the port agent for that port and his/her contact info.

Tom

• Thanks 1

Has anyone ever had to get a passport for a child they have custody of?  We have full residential and legal custody of our grandchild..she has sailed with us a few times now, we are going to need to get her a passport and we are wondering if anyone has had any difficulty in doing this?

21 minutes ago, medsed said:

Has anyone ever had to get a passport for a child they have custody of?  We have full residential and legal custody of our grandchild..she has sailed with us a few times now, we are going to need to get her a passport and we are wondering if anyone has had any difficulty in doing this?

I have no experience but have you seen this form: DS-5525 STATEMENT OF EXIGENT/SPECIAL FAMILY CIRCUMSTANCES FOR ISSUANCE OF A U.S. PASSPORT TO A MINOR UNDER AGE 16 on the State Department's website (https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds5525.pdf)?

If that doesn't look right, you can contact thee Passport Information Center at the State Department directly:

Contact U.S. Passports

The National Passport Information Center is available to answer your passport questions. 

Please note: If you're outside the United States, please contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Passport Questions?

• Phone1-877-487-27781-888-874-7793 (TDD/TTY)
    • Customer service representatives are available:
          Monday- Friday            8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time
          Saturday                     10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Eastern Time
          *Except on Federal Holidays
    • Automated passport information is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    • Se habla español.
  • EmailNPIC@state.gov 
    • Most email inquiries are answered within 24 hours.
    • Please call for the status of your passport. We cannot email that information.
    • Do not email for travel emergencies. Contact us by phone only.

Make an Appointment at a Passport Agency

In October of 2020 it would probably be best to have a passport anyway.  By then you'll need a "REAL ID" to fly domestically.  Here's the link for that:  https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

While all you'd need to do is update your drivers license, getting a passport make it easier, IMO.

And to enter Canada, you need proof of citizenship and proof of identity, which is either a passport, passport card, or NEXUS card:  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Canada.html

Also, an apology, I realized I gave some incorrect info earlier about one way cruises in Alaska.  They do not go from a US city to a US city with a stop in Canada.  They either begin in Canada (usually Vancouver) and end in Alaska or vice versa.  So if I confused anyone, sorry!  I don't like making mistakes and that was a doozy.

Edited by K.T.B.
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

In October of 2020 it would probably be best to have a passport anyway.  By then you'll need a "REAL ID" to fly domestically.  Here's the link for that:  https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

While all you'd need to do is update your drivers license, getting a passport make it easier, IMO.

And to enter Canada, you need proof of citizenship and proof of identity, which is either a passport, passport card, or NEXUS card:  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Canada.html

Also, an apology, I realized I gave some incorrect info earlier about one way cruises in Alaska.  They do not go from a US city to a US city with a stop in Canada.  They either begin in Canada (usually Vancouver) and end in Alaska or vice versa.  So if I confused anyone, sorry!  I don't like making mistakes and that was a doozy.

And again you have given incorrect or at least not complete information.

I crossed the boarder just today and did it WITHOUT a passport, passport card or NEXUS card. The border agent wished me a happy day and said he would see me in a few weeks.

I cross semi frequently both by car and by ferry and do it with my EDL, never have had any problems.

One of the ladies at church was complaining to me about how she read on Cruise Critic that they had to have a passport to cruise to Alaska only to find out when great grandma misplaced her passport and found out her EDL was acceptable at check in in Seattle that they were given miss information.

They had a family reunion on the Ruby and had 10 family members that paid for a company to do their expedited passport based on information from this site. 6 of those 10 family members are in their 70/80's and have no desire to travel abroad and have no need for a passport so they could have saved a good deal of money.

Now I know the OP was about the Caribbean cruises and I have no experience with that. I do know an EDL is good for Canada and Alaska unless you plan to fly to/from Canada.

12 minutes ago, indygirl99 said:

One of the ladies at church was complaining to me about how she read on Cruise Critic that they had to have a passport to cruise to Alaska only to find out when great grandma misplaced her passport and found out her EDL was acceptable at check in in Seattle that they were given miss information.

Along with the EDL she should have also needed a birth certificate according to closed loop rules.