Passport required!

JF - retired RRT

21 minutes ago, LoriPhil said:

Because passport data is a field in the Princess personal information section for booked passengers, we assumed it was a Princess requirement. 

You don't have to provide that information, but without it they won't issue you a boarding pass.

A lot of us (won't say most) take passports on cruises and check in with them even if

we didn't need to.  Yes closed loops from USA didn't need a passports and some still don't.

But when Princes sends you e-mails to different cruises/dates doing the Caribbean..Why don't you believe them?

It's not like the visa one they send to everyone.  It's for certain islands..like I'm doing b2b in Caribbean,

got the notice for the Nov 6th cruise not the other cruise.

So if you got the e-mail for your cruise..Bring your passport or get one if don't have one. Simple as that.

You go on the cruise or not. It's up to you.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, K.T.B. said:

You definitely need a passport if you take an Alaskan cruise because it'll make stop at a Canadian port.  It's not a Princess thing, it's US law now.

I'll put it this way. As of last weekend, you did not need a passport take an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle on a Princess ship. I will post a message here tomorrow if I find out something has changed in that regard in the meantime.  I downloaded the following information from the Customs & Border Patrol website (https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-media-release/cbp-reminds-seattle-cruise-ship-passengers-id-requirements) at 7:55pm Pacific time, today.

CBP reminds Seattle cruise ship passengers of ID requirements

Release Date: 
August 1, 2019

SEATTLE – The cruise industry in Seattle generates an estimated $500 million in business revenue; and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) in Seattle screens more than a million passengers and crew arriving via cruise ships. With the cruise season at its peak, CBP would like to remind passengers about the identification requirements for returning to the United States.

Cruise vessels arriving from foreign countries at the Port of Seattle must meet the requirements set forth in the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). Almost all Alaska cruises stop in Victoria, Canada, which constitutes foreign travel.

As a reminder, since June 1, 2009, all U.S. and Canadian citizens 18 years and older, who enter the United States at land and sea ports of entry from within the Western Hemisphere need to present either a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, as well as proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate, or a valid passport or other acceptable document for WHTI compliance. U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. U.S. and Canadian citizen children ages 16 and under are able to enter with only proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate. Verbal claims of citizenship alone are not sufficient to establish citizenship for entry into the United States. 

Approved WHTI documents for U.S. citizens include: U.S. passports, U.S. passport card, Enhanced Drivers licenses, Enhanced Tribal card, Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST), or military identification cards (with official orders).  A foreign national entering the United States is required to present a passport and valid visa issued by a U.S. Consular official (a visa is not required if they are a citizen of a country eligible for the Visa Waiver Program, a lawful permanent resident of the United States, or a citizen of Canada). 

To make your cruising experience more enjoyable, please remember your Alaskan cruise involves foreign travel and plan ahead.

The underlining and bolding was added by me for emphasis.

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers

9 minutes ago, SiliconCruiser said:

As I recall, a US military ID serves in lieu of a passport.

No, actually, it doesn't because it does not indicate the citizenship of the person shown in the photo of the military ID.  We had an active duty navy man and his wife show up at the pier a week or so ago and the only ID that the sailor had was his active duty ID card. He was denied boarding. That was on a Celebrity ship if I remember correctly.

Tom

Tom, if the ship is a closed loop leaving from Seattle and you decide to get off the ship in Canada to visit Victoria, you need a passport (if you do not get off the ship in Canada, no need for a passport).  I'm not talking about US Customs, I am talking about Canadian Customs.  If it is a closed loop out of Vancouver, you need a passport.  If it is a one way from Seattle to Seward (or Anchorage), you do not need a passport if you do not plan on exiting the ship in Canada.

With all that said, it's best that you have your passport since the ship is visiting a foreign port, even if you may not need it.  While US Customs is fine with other forms of ID, not so to enter Canada.  I've done 3 Alaskan cruises, I've needed my passport every time and it was heavily suggested that I bring it.

Just my 2¢.

3 minutes ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

No, actually, it doesn't because it does not indicate the citizenship of the person shown in the photo of the military ID.  We had an active duty navy man and his wife show up at the pier a week or so ago and the only ID that the sailor had was his active duty ID card. He was denied boarding. That was on a Celebrity ship if I remember correctly.

Tom

The response was to the individual who did not need a passport to travel the world because he used his ID card.  U.S. military personnel have traveled all over the world with their ID cards and a copy of their orders.   I don't think any U.S. military personnel are given orders to travel via cruise ships.  And the country of their citizenship does not actually matter since U.S. citizenship is not required to join the U.S. military services.

And what is this "we had" stuff, do you work for a cruise ship line?

6 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Only when under orders on official duty.  Not for personal travel.

I guess the OP's posting got filtered out, but that was pretty much what he said.  The gist of it was that he traveled all over without a passport while he was in the Navy and didn't get a passport until after he had retired.

1 hour ago, K.T.B. said:

Tom, if the ship is a closed loop leaving from Seattle and you decide to get off the ship in Canada to visit Victoria, you need a passport (if you do not get off the ship in Canada, no need for a passport).

I was recently on a cruise from California to Tokyo with a stop in Victoria. Obviously a passport was needed to board the ship and obviously the ship had all the passport information (but not the passports themselves) needed for Canadian authorities.

However, we did not need to show the passport to Canadian authorities when getting off the ship in Victoria or even carry a passport with us when in Victoria.

4 hours ago, caribill said:

I was recently on a cruise from California to Tokyo with a stop in Victoria. Obviously a passport was needed to board the ship and obviously the ship had all the passport information (but not the passports themselves) needed for Canadian authorities.

However, we did not need to show the passport to Canadian authorities when getting off the ship in Victoria or even carry a passport with us when in Victoria.

We needed one back in 2007 to disembark in Victoria. There was a gentleman in front of us getting off the ship who didn't have one (he had his birth certificate) and they would not allow him to clear customs.  So has Canada relaxed things?

10 hours ago, Belle said:

A lot of us (won't say most) take passports on cruises and check in with them even if

we didn't need to.  Yes closed loops from USA didn't need a passports and some still don't.

But when Princes sends you e-mails to different cruises/dates doing the Caribbean..Why don't you believe them?

It's not like the visa one they send to everyone.  It's for certain islands..like I'm doing b2b in Caribbean,

got the notice for the Nov 6th cruise not the other cruise.

So if you got the e-mail for your cruise..Bring your passport or get one if don't have one. Simple as that.

You go on the cruise or not. It's up to you.

Barbados, Martinique and Trinidad and Tobago are places not covered by WHTI.  So the WHTI compliant documentation doesn't apply to cruises stopping at those and about nine other Caribbean destinations.

10 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

And what is this "we had" stuff, do you work for a cruise ship line?

Tom, a frequent cruiser critic contributor, works at the Smith Cove Cruise Terminal (Princess, HAL, Celebrity, Carnival, Royal Caribbean) in Seattle and can be counted on to provided useful current advice and information on Seattle departures.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 2:26 PM, Kingofcool1947 said:

...I was told if one never intend to go ashore, a passport is not needed.

Will the person who told you indemnify you should the cruiser line deny boarding for lack of required travel documentation?

Ultimately cruise lines set travel documentation requirements. They will not let one board if a requirement is not met, regardless of regulations in the countries on the itinerary.

On 8/21/2019 at 11:46 AM, ggprincess2004 said:

Actually, that Caribbean Princess 14 day closed loop doesn't call in South American or Mexican ports. Strictly Caribbean, but the Schengen agreement countries control the ABC islands,  we have St. Maarten, and also Trinidad. Any of these coukd have triggered the requirement. We got that notice fof our early Nov closed loop 14 day, too.

we have St Maarten in November, and I don't recall getting any emails about passports.

We have passports anyway.

Using a US military ID in lieu of a passport does not have a single simple answer.  If you are on official orders you just need the ID and orders.  If you are independently traveling, some countries want a passport.  See this Stars and Stripes article:  https://www.stripes.com/news/soldiers-may-run-into-problems-when-deploying-overseas-without-a-passport-1.537478

1 hour ago, Grammyluvs said:

I have a Passport Card, is that exceptable on closed loop cruises? I used it in January of this year but have an upcoming cruise to the Caribbean. So confused.

According to US Customs and Border Protection: "The passport card is used to enter the United States (U.S.) at the land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The passport card can also be used for domestic air travel. 

Some Caribbean countries and territories, even though they are considered part of the Caribbean may not accept the passport card for entry into their country. You may be required to have a passport book to visit those nations while on a cruise. Please check with the cruise line and inquire if a passport card can be used during your voyage."

22 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

According to US Customs and Border Protection: "The passport card is used to enter the United States (U.S.) at the land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The passport card can also be used for domestic air travel. 

Some Caribbean countries and territories, even though they are considered part of the Caribbean may not accept the passport card for entry into their country. You may be required to have a passport book to visit those nations while on a cruise. Please check with the cruise line and inquire if a passport card can be used during your voyage."

Thanks....

13 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

If it is a one way from Seattle to Seward (or Anchorage), you do not need a passport if you do not plan on exiting the ship in Canada.

Are you sure about this statement?  I thought that the ship has to stop at a distant foreign port if transporting passengers from one US city to another.

Isn’t that the reason  that Closed loop Alaska cruises stop in Canada and one way Alaska Cruise either stop or start in Canada?

Or perhaps I missed confused.

20 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Are you sure about this statement?  I thought that the ship has to stop at a distant foreign port if transporting passengers from one US city to another.

Isn’t that the reason  that Closed loop Alaska cruises stop in Canada and one way Alaska Cruise either stop or start in Canada?

Or perhaps I missed confused.

Odds are the ship will stop at Victoria if the ship departs and enters a US port, whether it's Seattle or an Alaskan port.  That satisfies the "foreign port".

Just now, K.T.B. said:

Odds are the ship will stop at Victoria if the ship departs and enters a US port, whether it's Seattle or an Alaskan port.  That satisfies the "foreign port".

But it has to be the same US port and not Seattle to Seward (or Anchorage) as indicate based on my understanding.