Passport required!

JF - retired RRT

2 hours ago, pms4104 said:

I think 95% is way high, particularly when you factor in Americans traveling on closed loop cruises using WHTI compliant docs

I am ignorant of the meaning of WHTI compliant documents <among other things>

You could be right, I don't have any statistics, just a feeling based on long travel experience. I like to have one not so much for the cruise ship so-called "closed loop" requirement, but the possibility of having to return to the USA not on the ship but an airplane if a medical or other emergency came up. Insurance in my case; I always plan for the worst I guess. <g>

Getting a passport is SO much easier than it was when I got my first one about 30 years ago. When I renewed about a year ago I could even take my own photo, and do the whole thing online. I think one's first passport isn't quite as easy, but I am not sure.

Weird that my entire time in the USN, visiting places all over, I never had a passport until I retired. I wonder if it's still the same way.

Doug

2 hours ago, pms4104 said:

I think 95% is way high, particularly when you factor in Americans traveling on closed loop cruises using WHTI compliant docs

I have to agree with you.  My guess that many people who are first time cruisers and families with children on closed loop cruises who only take a vacation every few years probably don't have a passport, but this is only my opinion and certainly not based on any research.

1 hour ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I am ignorant of the meaning of WHTI compliant documents <among other things>

You could be right, I don't have any statistics, just a feeling based on long travel experience. I like to have one not so much for the cruise ship so-called "closed loop" requirement, but the possibility of having to return to the USA not on the ship but an airplane if a medical or other emergency came up. Insurance in my case; I always plan for the worst I guess. <g>

Getting a passport is SO much easier than it was when I got my first one about 30 years ago. When I renewed about a year ago I could even take my own photo, and do the whole thing online. I think one's first passport isn't quite as easy, but I am not sure.

Weird that my entire time in the USN, visiting places all over, I never had a passport until I retired. I wonder if it's still the same way.

Doug

That is because your ID card was considered your document needed to enter most countries.  Especially if you visited haze grey and underway.

I got it for Cabo Getaway Cruise but it's not needed. There's non-USA / Mexicans on the ship so they just send out a general email notice ..... or so Princess stated. Went on State Dept site and WHTI is still in effect

Screenshot_20190821-172639_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Ombud

This is new. Something has changed. I was in Martinique last Nov. didn't need it.

I'm on the Nov. 6th too but no problem I always travel with a passport.

Since they sent the notice out whether you think you need it or not..Get One. This was just sent for our

Nov. 6th cruise. I'm doing an other Caribbean cruise after this on an other ship, no e-mail So think it's

just because of French  Martinique. They changed their rules. (if the person on here was told the right 

answer, Martinique Port)

You would be very sad if you couldn't get on the ship. They didn't send the e-mail out for no reason.

Edited by Belle
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Belle said:

This is new. Something has changed. I was in Martinique last Nov. didn't need it.

I'm on the Nov. 6th too but no problem I always travel with a passport.

Since they sent the notice out whether you think you need it or not..Get One. ... They didn't send the e-mail out for no reason.

Very true! Much better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.  I've seen way too many people get denied boarding for not having any or the wrong kind of necessary paperwork. It results in a very disappointing situation and a very expensive financial and relaxation loss!

Tom

We received our notice regarding the December 20, 14-day voyage where we need to bring our passport, which we do on all voyages anyway.  We are visiting Aruba which may be the cause of the need to have the passport as mentioned above.

Thanks for the heads up. Next two cruises this year are not starting in the US but good to anticipate the need for future closed loop cruises. We always have a valid passport but wouldn't have thought to bring it for "domestic" travel. i.e. starting/ending in the US.

8 minutes ago, paradiselivin1 said:

Thanks for the heads up. Next two cruises this year are not starting in the US but good to anticipate the need for future closed loop cruises. We always have a valid passport but wouldn't have thought to bring it for "domestic" travel. i.e. starting/ending in the US.

Eventually they will be required regardless.

We always have brought our passport on any cruise. 

You never know what may happen outside of the US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was surprised about the “closed loop”designation, as we just assumed passports were needed for non-US ports, so completed the passport data in Princess’ passenger info for all our Caribbean cruises and used passports as identification when going through US customs upon our return.   So much for reading the fine print...

As an aside, we were interested to see that Phil’s passport info was deleted from passenger info for our 12-day spring 2020 cruise out of Vancouver, as it was due to expire less than 6 months prior to the cruise. 

Edited by LoriPhil

16 hours ago, Ombud said:

I got it for Cabo Getaway Cruise but it's not needed. There's non-USA / Mexicans on the ship so they just send out a general email notice ..... or so Princess stated. Went on State Dept site and WHTI is still in effect

This is a different message and it is required now for cruises visiting Martinique and Guadeloupe. I also noticed our WHTI messages have been removed from the cruise personalizer. You will probably see a WHTI message still in there for your cruise. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Felix331 said:

This is a different message and it is required now for cruises visiting Martinique and Guadeloupe. I also noticed our WHTI messages have been removed from the cruise personalizer. You will probably see a WHTI message still in there for your cruise. 

This is what mine says and included time stamp. I travel with my passport just bc it's easier but I could do it with a birth certificate (see 1st paragraph next to medallion). So apparently 2 caribbean islands now require it but not USA /  Canada (next March) / Mexico (this October)Screenshot_20190822-095644_Chrome.thumb.jpg.bd611c4d313386f6f2e4deacb7cf220e.jpg20190822_094951.thumb.jpg.61baad78d1f4a0cc9299e0ab4eeecafb.jpg

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

... I could do it with a birth certificate (see 1st paragraph next to medallion). ...

NOT if you need to FLY back into the US!

(maybe you could get away with it if the Coast Guard picks you up - but probably not)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SiliconCruiser said:

I'm not sure I fully understand this.  I've been required to provide a passport for every Princess cruise that I have been on, even domestic cruises like those going to Alaska or Hawaii (for the obligatory Jones Act stop outside of the country.)

Who has "required"  you to provide a passport for a cruise going to Alaska? I suspect it has not been anyone at the pier in Seattle, at least not in the past few years as that is not a requirement for an American citizen and I doubt that anybody at either San Francisco or Los Angeles has either. Perhaps you've been told by your travel agent, if you have gone through them, but if that's the case they have given you incorrect, although perfectly safe, information. You can use a passport, a passport card, a certified copy of a gov. (not hospital issued!) birth certificate and a gov. issued photo ID also.

Tom

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MauiLvrs said:

NOT if you need to FLY back into the US!

(maybe you could get away with it if the Coast Guard picks you up - but probably not)

WHTI does not require a passport on a 'closed loop' cruise .... it may be a good idea but not required. I travel with a passport bc I do not have an enhanced DL so I can't fly within USA either. Simple but not required. When in doubt listen to CBP https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

1 hour ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

Who has "required"  you to provide a passport for a cruise going to Alaska? I suspect it has not been anyone at the pier in Seattle, at least not in the past few years as that is not a requirement for an American citizen and I doubt that anybody at either San Francisco or Los Angeles has either. Perhaps you've been told by your travel agent, if you have gone through them, but if that's the case they have given you incorrect, although perfectly safe, information. You can use a passport, a passport card, a certified copy of a gov. (not hospital issued!) birth certificate and a gov. issued photo ID also.

Tom

Princess required it.  As you probably know there are no Princess cruise ships that are of US registry.  As such, to comply with the Merchant Marine Act of 1920 (aka Jones Act,) ships are required to stop at a foreign port before returning to the U.S.   For Alaskan cruises, it is usually Victoria or Vancouver.  For Hawaii, it is Ensenada.  And these days, a passport or passport card is required for travel to both Canada and Mexico.  They examine the passport as part of the boarding process and require it to board in San Francisco.  Never sailed out of San Pedro or Long Beach.

The only cruise ship that is not required to make a port call at a foreign port before returning to the U.S. is NCL's MS Pride of America.  It is the only cruise ship in the world that is of American registry, and it only cruises between the Hawaiian islands.

As for incorrect information, Princess is the usually the weak link, and seems that people on these boards are already familiar with the inconsistency of information from their call center.

46 minutes ago, SiliconCruiser said:

Princess required it.  As you probably know there are no Princess cruise ships that are of US registry.  As such, to comply with the Merchant Marine Act of 1920 (aka Jones Act,) ships are required to stop at a foreign port before returning to the U.S.   For Alaskan cruises, it is usually Victoria or Vancouver.  For Hawaii, it is Ensenada.  And these days, a passport or passport card is required for travel to both Canada and Mexico.  They examine the passport as part of the boarding process and require it to board in San Francisco.  Never sailed out of San Pedro or Long Beach.

Princess does not require you to have a passport to go on a cruise to Alaska from Alaska at least they don't when sailing out of Seattle. However, with that said, the safest thing to do is to have a passport if you do cruise to Alaska as that will cover you if, for some reason, you have to leave the ship while at a port and fly back to the US. I would be very surprised if you were required to show a passport on a cruise to Alaska when sailing out of San Francisco since the same company does check-in at both of those ports, among others.  As far as complying with laws, The Merchant Marine Act of 1920 (Jones Act) has absolutely nothing to do with cruise lines. That law has to do with cargo, not cruises. The law that covers cruises having to go to foreign ports due to non-US registry is the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act) of 1886.

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers
Add a bit of info.

1 hour ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

Princess does not require you to have a passport to go on a cruise to Alaska from Alaska at least they don't when sailing out of Seattle. However, with that said, the safest thing to do is to have a passport if you do cruise to Alaska as that will cover you if, for some reason, you have to leave the ship while at a port and fly back to the US. I would be very surprised if you were required to show a passport on a cruise to Alaska when sailing out of San Francisco since the same company does check-in at both of those ports, among others.  As far as complying with laws, The Merchant Marine Act of 1920 (Jones Act) has absolutely nothing to do with cruise lines. That law has to do with cargo, not cruises. The law that covers cruises having to go to foreign ports due to non-US registry is the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act) of 1886.

Tom

I guess they do things differently in Seattle.  I haven't taken a cruise originating in Alaska, but I'd guess they would require it since there is a port call in Canada before it reaches Seattle, or the cruise may terminate in Alaska.  I don't know why you would be surprised at my experiences out of San Francisco unless your experience at that port has been different.  I also had to provide passports for a Hawaii cruise as well.  They not only check that you have it before you enter the terminal, but also when you check in.   Though Princess already had a copy of our passports for a Medallion cruise out of Copenhagen, they still wanted to make sure that it was in our possession when we boarded the ship.

But I'll take your word on PVSA, I should know better than to believe information from Princess.

Edited by SiliconCruiser