Possible hurricane

Responder

https://www.celebritycruises.com/travel-alert

HURRICANE DORIAN TRAVEL ADVISORY

Celebrity Cruises is actively monitoring the development of Hurricane Dorian in the Atlantic.

At this time, the Celebrity Equinox is scheduled to maintain her current itinerary visiting Grand Cayman today, August 29th, Cruising at Sea tomorrow, August 30th and arriving into Fort Lauderdale for debarkation on Saturday, August 31st.

The August 31st sailing of Celebrity Equinox is also still scheduled to sail as planned. Please check back for updates.

Thank you Jim for the update.  I am booked on the Equinox, but have mixed emotions about leaving my home on the Space Coast.  I guess, if I have my storm shutters up, I will at least be safe and have food and AC if I sail.  Don’t know if earthquakes or hurricanes are worse. LOL.

7 minutes ago, Eastern flygirl said:

Thank you Jim for the update.  I am booked on the Equinox, but have mixed emotions about leaving my home on the Space Coast.  I guess, if I have my storm shutters up, I will at least be safe and have food and AC if I sail.  Don’t know if earthquakes or hurricanes are worse. LOL.

Same here as far as those feelings.  I have family looking out for my place and hopefully we get out Saturday.

Airline told me that they may not fly into FLL on Saturday.  Suggested flying out tomorrow instead just to be sure to get there.

By the way, fares are rather inexpensive.  Any ideas why?🙄

Edited by keesar

12 minutes ago, keesar said:

Airline told me that they may not fly into FLL on Saturday.  Suggested flying out tomorrow instead just to be sure to get there.

trying to save the losses they will have when the airports close

20 minutes ago, keesar said:

Take advantage of the low fares and get down for your cruise. This is the low season for fares.

Edited by Orator

5 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

On the Equinox now.

Left Grand Cayman about three hours ago. No announcements from the captain, so baring any changes to the speed or course of the hurricane, we should be in Ft. Lauderdale early Saturday morning.

I know you are on a B2B and we are supposed to get on Saturday.  Imagine they come in and drop everyone off and go right back out to a safe place and you get the ship all to yourself!   You could have your own shows and specialty dining and pleny of room at the pool!

Edited by Nymich

Having been a northerner (from New Hampshire) until October of 2017, I have never experienced a hurricain.  Unfortunately, I am a travel nurse in St. Augustine (east coast) and my husband lives in Bradenton (west coast) in a mobile home.  He took the day off in order to get our home ready in case of an evacuation.  It is supposed, unless it changes course, to hit my area directly.  Due to being on call, I work in open heart surgery, I cannot leave the area.  Also, I live directly on the ocean here in St. Augustine.  My landlady says they had not had to evacuate the past 2 hurricains but they will shut down the bridges coming off-and-on the island.  I asked the hospital if I could stay there and they said no.  They have 2 empty floors - I would think that they would want their workers safe.  My husband said the stores are out of water already and the same here.  Please keep us in your thoughts this weekend.

Edited by aml3679

16 minutes ago, aml3679 said:

Having been a northerner (from New Hampshire) until October of 2017, I have never experienced a hurricain.  Unfortunately, I am a travel nurse in St. Augustine (east coast) and my husband lives in Bradenton (west coast) in a mobile home.  He took the day off in order to get our home ready in case of an evacuation.  It is supposed, unless it changes course, to hit my area directly.  Due to being on call, I work in open heart surgery, I cannot leave the area.  Also, I live directly on the ocean here in St. Augustine.  My landlady says they had not had to evacuate the past 2 hurricains but they will shut down the bridges coming off-and-on the island.  I asked the hospital if I could stay there and they said no.  They have 2 empty floors - I would think that they would want their workers safe.  My husband said the stores are out of water already and the same here.  Please keep us in your thoughts this weekend.

I’ve lived in hurricane territory for over 30 years.

Only take advice from your local emergency managers and other appropriate officials and persons who were living in your area for the last major hurricane - people who have been through only a scare or a couple of tropical storms can be helpful, but don’t know how bad it can get.

Be sure you have a full tank of gas and more cash than you would normally carry.

Make a secure plan for your pets if there are any - what if you get stuck at the hospital and don’t get home for a week?

Listen to the evac plans and follow them - if you are in the evac zone, go to the hospital if it isn’t evacuated. After Katrina and Michael, they are considering evading hospitals sooner. Volunteer for as many shifts as you can. I’m an MD, been through a bunch of “invoke the emergency plan” scenarios at our hospital. There is a lot of what ifs this far out, and they will not give any concrete plans until NHC gives watches and warnings. We used to open areas of the hospital for families, even had a pet shelter once, - they ran out of food! Big surprise, when there’s no AC at your house, you don’t want to leave the nice cold hospital, even though there’s no damage, just no power. If you have no kids and don’t own a home or boat on the zone, sounds like you are a perfect person to work over. Pack yourself a bag and be ready to sleep at the hospital - many of your co-workers will need your coverage.

Thoughts and prayers with you,we’ve been there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aml3679 said:

It is supposed, unless it changes course, to hit my area directly.

Looks like West Palm Beach, a couple hundred miles south of you, will get the direct hit. Here in Central Florida, we may get a bit of Cat 1 at the tail end. If I were in St Augustine, I would not be panicking at this time, but keeping an eye on the forecast.

Edited by hrhdhd

http://www.porteverglades.net/

Port Everglades remains open and fully operational today while preparing for Hurricane Dorian. The U.S. Coast Guard has approved cruise operations for Saturday, August 31 for Carnival Magic and Celebrity Equinox. For further information, cruise guests should contact their cruise lines. Petroleum deliveries to gas stations are continuing. Visit the Hurricane Dorian Update page.

• Like 1

Celebrity posted this on Facebook about an hour ago:

”Important announcement for our guests sailing on our Celebrity Equinox 7-Night Eastern Caribbean cruise departing August 31 from Fort Lauderdale, Florida: As you may be aware, Hurricane Dorian is forecast to affect South Florida this weekend. In order to depart Fort Lauderdale ahead of any adverse weather, we will be departing one hour earlier at 2:30 PM on Saturday, August 31st.  We will begin boarding at 10:30 AM, so please plan on arriving to the pier early to help expedite our check-in process. All guests must be on board 60 minutes prior to our scheduled departure. We’ll continue to keep a close eye on the weather conditions. If we need to make any changes to your itinerary, we will let you know as soon as we can. Your safety and the safety of our crew is our primary concern. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation, and we look forward to providing you an amazing vacation.”

Wishing everyone safe travels! Hope you all get safely to the ships..and enjoy a nice cruise, even with possible deviations.

Still no certainty in where it will impact most but is a powerful storm.

Our place on the west coast of Fla is shuttered as a precaution , and all Communities are in active storm prep mode. Worried for the east coast.

Glad folks are paying attention.....

Edited by hcat

We started the second leg of a B2B on the Equinox today. I can’t speak for the air travel but from what I could tell the cruise part went without a hitch. They started calling numbers, for debarkation at 6:30 and if it wasn’t for some people who thought they could stay on the ship as long as they want, it would have been empty by 8:30  - 8:45 at the latest. We left shortly after 2:30. The captain said we are taking a longer, safer route but should still make our first port on time and no schedule change. We’ve been on the road  for over five hours and the seas have been really smooth and no rain.

• Like 3

On 8/31/2019 at 8:03 PM, grandgeezer said:

We started the second leg of a B2B on the Equinox today. I can’t speak for the air travel but from what I could tell the cruise part went without a hitch. They started calling numbers, for debarkation at 6:30 and if it wasn’t for some people who thought they could stay on the ship as long as they want, it would have been empty by 8:30  - 8:45 at the latest. We left shortly after 2:30. The captain said we are taking a longer, safer route but should still make our first port on time and no schedule change. We’ve been on the road  for over five hours and the seas have been really smooth and no rain.

Are they still holding the Captain's Club Celebration on embarkation day? Enjoy the second part of your B2B.