Do you book a trip without the added "perks"??

calicakes

I've taken 4 cruises total( 3 on X).  I have one booked next month as well as one booked for Dec 2020.  I've always waited until there has been a "sale".  Be in Memorial Day, Labor Day or Black Friday.  I book with a well known cruise TA. They always provide an extra perk in addition to the packaged perks.  For instance I booked a Touch Canal cruise on Constellation out of Tampa( Dec 2020) and they are giving back 10 percent in OBC, thats in addition to what the X gives.  I booked a Sky Suite for that trip.    

So, I know people say that if you get perks, they are figured into the cost of the trip.  Is that true?  For my cruise next month, I got pre-paid grats, classic beverage package for 2, 300 OBC, plus 100 from the TA and unlimited internet.  Hypothetically, say that is worth 1k.  If I didn't get any of those, would I spent 1k less on the fare? 

We have a Sky Suite booked on a TP cruise.  When  we booked there were no perks included.  A few months ago Celebrity began offering all 4 perks for Suites on our cruise.  In order to get the 4 perks our fare would have increased by $1100pp.  That gives you an idea of how the  perks affect the price.

37 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

'Perks' are added into the price so ask for the price without.  The perk is that you paid up front so don't need to deal with buying on board.  

Right, but if there is a "sale" such as a Labor( Labour) day sale, and the sale includes the perks( no additional money to add the perks) is it really a "sale"? 

If you look for an "exciting deals" rate, or a resident rate, or one of the rates that excludes the perks, you'll be able to see the difference between that rate and the inclusive one. On most cruises I've looked at lately, it seems to be around $45 pp per day for 2 perks. Only you can decide if it's worth that to you.

For a recent cruise on Edge, I got the price without any perks and the price with perks.  The price with the "free" perks was pretty much the price without the perks plus the cost of the perks. 

Because my wife and I are non-drinkers, the value to us of the drink package was pretty much nothing, and so our cruise was less expensive without the "free" perks.  I saved money by paying the no-perk cruise fare and by purchasing the Soda Package and paying the gratuities!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, calicakes said:

Right, but if there is a "sale" such as a Labor( Labour) day sale, and the sale includes the perks( no additional money to add the perks) is it really a "sale"? 

Two weeks ago we booked a cruise, can’t recall the name of that promotion, but the same cruise with the the same perks is $50pp more during the Labor Day Sale.   So no a sale isn’t always a sale.

2 hours ago, calicakes said:

I've taken 4 cruises total( 3 on X).  I have one booked next month as well as one booked for Dec 2020.  I've always waited until there has been a "sale".  Be in Memorial Day, Labor Day or Black Friday.  I book with a well known cruise TA. They always provide an extra perk in addition to the packaged perks.  For instance I booked a Touch Canal cruise on Constellation out of Tampa( Dec 2020) and they are giving back 10 percent in OBC, thats in addition to what the X gives.  I booked a Sky Suite for that trip.    

So, I know people say that if you get perks, they are figured into the cost of the trip.  Is that true?  For my cruise next month, I got pre-paid grats, classic beverage package for 2, 300 OBC, plus 100 from the TA and unlimited internet.  Hypothetically, say that is worth 1k.  If I didn't get any of those, would I spent 1k less on the fare? 

There is no "one size fits all" answer to the true value of the perks because the perks have different values to different people.

Many do not want or need a drink package or internet package, for one reason or another.

As for onboard credit, it depends on whether or not it is refundable.

Non-refundable onboard credit may at first appear to be free money, but it can be a waste if you just end it up using it to buy things you really don't want and never would have bought otherwise.

(Yep, that has happened to us.)

Prepaid gratuities and refundable onboard credit are about the only perks where the true value is readily apparent.

We like to price our cruises both with and without the perks each time to see which way of booking is the better value for us, for that particular cruise. 

Of course, the more discount categories for which you qualify, the better your chances of getting a good deal.

Edited by varoo

2 hours ago, varoo said:

There is no "one size fits all" answer to the true value of the perks because the perks have different values to different people.

Many do not want or need a drink package or internet package, for one reason or another.

As for onboard credit, it depends on whether or not it is refundable.

Non-refundable onboard credit may at first appear to be free money, but it can be a waste if you just end it up using it to buy things you really don't want and never would have bought otherwise.

(Yep, that has happened to us.)

Prepaid gratuities and refundable onboard credit are about the only perks where the true value is readily apparent.

We like to price our cruises both with and without the perks each time to see which way of booking is the better value for us, for that particular cruise. 

Of course, the more discount categories for which you qualify, the better your chances of getting a good deal.

We booked the touch canal cruise for December 2020. My spouse is police, retired military, 57 and were residents of California. I asked about all those discounts and was told there are none for that cruise. We booked an S2 suite. I was told the perks were premium beverage, pre paid gratuities, unlimited internet and 300 obc. The TA is giving an additional 925 in OBC plus 50 for being in the loyalty program. When I went to the X website, the cruise was much more expensive without the perks. We don’t drink alcohol either, but since it came with perks, we took it. 

We typically book without the perks.  We too are non drinkers.  We do use the internet so if it is cost effective we may book with a perk to cover the internet.  As others have said, you need to look at it both ways. 

2 hours ago, calicakes said:

We booked the touch canal cruise for December 2020. My spouse is police, retired military, 57 and were residents of California. I asked about all those discounts and was told there are none for that cruise. We booked an S2 suite. I was told the perks were premium beverage, pre paid gratuities, unlimited internet and 300 obc. The TA is giving an additional 925 in OBC plus 50 for being in the loyalty program. When I went to the X website, the cruise was much more expensive without the perks. We don’t drink alcohol either, but since it came with perks, we took it. 

December 2020 is still pretty far off, so you have plenty of time to keep watching it to see what discounts they start offering as the cruise date draws closer.

Whether or not and when they start offering the various discounted rate categories will often depend on how well the cruise is selling.

I may be wrong on this, but I thought they were now offering retired military discounts all the time, although the last time we checked on this they were smaller military discounts than they used to give in the past.

13 hours ago, calicakes said:

What is a “sale” ?   I think many are conditioned into thinking that a sale is a discounted or bargain price.   Put a sign in the window “ store wide sale”.   What does that mean?   Not much if it is a furniture  store. 

Weekly ads form major chains will have a sale.   Look at the stuff in there and most will say everyday low price.

Look at the MSRP on many items.   Do they ever sell at that price.   They are always reduced by some percentage to make people think they are getting a bargain.

The practice of a high MSRP started back in the 70’s when the US government was putting a wage and price freeze on everything because of the oil crisis.  The higher ups then realized the way to avoid it is to set a high MSRP and discount it therefore keeping some padding Incase of a price freeze again.   Then by doing that they realized it helped steel their products because people think they are getting a bargain .

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

To compare, you really need to compare the value of the perks for you, not what the cruise line says they are. 

Basically, if you have 2 drinks a day at a cost of $15, that is the value of the drink package for you, not the $60 or $70 a day the cruise line says it is.  If you never spend any money on board but do so to buy something you don't need, then the $300 OBC really has very little value.  The only real value to everyone is the pre-paid grats since they have an actual cost benefit.

At least Celebrity is finally, with their new pricing structure, clearly showing that "free perks" are not.  And it allows pax to make intelligent comparisons.

It's very easy to see what those perks cost when you see the prices both with and without perks...And they often show both.  And often, when you really analyze it, it's absurd...like they'll offer free gratuities on a 7 night cruise--around $210 total--as one of the perks--but adding a perk adds $300 to the cruise cost!  Comparing the gratuities and OBC to the added cost is easy--since the value is pretty clear...

But, comparing the drink and internet packages is not so simple....They may sell that drink package for $69 per day--but is it really worth that to YOU?  That price means you drink 7 drinks per day just to break even.  But if you, say, average only three drinks per day, that drink package is really only worth about $30 per day to you...Unlimited internet is great...but the internet is still terrible and how much time do YOU really spend on the internet during a cruise?  If you're streaming movies all day each sea day or you're working from the ship all night, maybe you get that value...But, if you're just checking your email every day or so for a few minutes, it's not worth all that much...

For ME, those perks are worth even less than most--As an Elite Plus Captains Club member, I get free drinks every night from 5-7 anyway...And I get 240 minutes per person of free internet each cruise.

On my last, back-to-back 12 nighters on Reflection, we had zero perks, the first cruise...and all four the second.  Just ended up working out that way.  The first cruise was fine--I saved a lot of money on the zero perk fare.  The 240 minutes of free internet was more than enough to check emails--especially since we also always found free wifi in port.  Most days, we were in port all day touring...Got back to the ship in time to dress for dinner and head to Sky Lounge for those free Captains Club drinks--after which, we were pretty much done drinking anyway.  If I had a drink or two after that, no problem paying a few dollars on a per drink basis--certainly not seven drinks to just break even.

The second cruise perks were a waste.  I didn't have to worry about how many internet minutes I had left...or how much I might be drinking--but I guarantee that neither would have justified paying for those packages.  The OBC became a complete joke.  By the time we renegotiated that into our deal, we had already bought all of the shore excursions we were going to take as well as specialty restaurants--at greatly reduced prices during early deals--so those were paid in full and not worth canceling and rebooking at higher prices just to burn onboard credit.  Since drinks and gratuities were all paid for...and we didn't need to pay for laundry either as Elite Plus cruisers, the only things we could use the nonrefundable ship OBC on was spa, gambling and gift shop purchases.  We had little time for the spa, we don't gamble...so we decided, going in, to use that OBC buying my wife a new iPad.  But, when that second cruise started, the Apple Store onboard posted a sign saying that, due to Irish Tax regulations, they would not sell any Apple products during the cruise!  (Luckily, we convinced Guest Relations to Mickey Mouse a solution to "launder" the OBC--so we had a large credit back to our account of $730 which included most of the cruise line OBC and my TA's refundable OBC).

Given that experience, I'd say, for most cruises, it's better to get zero perks and a lower price.  Psychologically, of course, it FEELS GOOD to have those "unlimited" perks...but, they're really usually not worth the upcharge to most of us.  That said, for my back-to-backs on Infinity next summer, we booked both with two perks--Drink packages and the $300 OBC (since it exceeds the cost of the gratuities on each by almost $100).  Booked it that way only because the cost differential between zero and two perks was only slightly more than the $300 OBC (about $10-11 per day more than that--meaning we "better" the break even on the second non-Captains Club drink)...And we have that OBC from the start--so, we can apply the excess to either a specialty restaurant or to a shorex (if we take any).

4 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

It's very easy to see what those perks cost when you see the prices both with and without perks...And they often show both.  And often, when you really analyze it, it's absurd...like they'll offer free gratuities on a 7 night cruise--around $210 total--as one of the perks--but adding a perk adds $300 to the cruise cost!  Comparing the gratuities and OBC to the added cost is easy--since the value is pretty clear...

But, comparing the drink and internet packages is not so simple....They may sell that drink package for $69 per day--but is it really worth that to YOU?  That price means you drink 7 drinks per day just to break even.  But if you, say, average only three drinks per day, that drink package is really only worth about $30 per day to you...Unlimited internet is great...but the internet is still terrible and how much time do YOU really spend on the internet during a cruise?  If you're streaming movies all day each sea day or you're working from the ship all night, maybe you get that value...But, if you're just checking your email every day or so for a few minutes, it's not worth all that much...

For ME, those perks are worth even less than most--As an Elite Plus Captains Club member, I get free drinks every night from 5-7 anyway...And I get 240 minutes per person of free internet each cruise.

On my last, back-to-back 12 nighters on Reflection, we had zero perks, the first cruise...and all four the second.  Just ended up working out that way.  The first cruise was fine--I saved a lot of money on the zero perk fare.  The 240 minutes of free internet was more than enough to check emails--especially since we also always found free wifi in port.  Most days, we were in port all day touring...Got back to the ship in time to dress for dinner and head to Sky Lounge for those free Captains Club drinks--after which, we were pretty much done drinking anyway.  If I had a drink or two after that, no problem paying a few dollars on a per drink basis--certainly not seven drinks to just break even.

The second cruise perks were a waste.  I didn't have to worry about how many internet minutes I had left...or how much I might be drinking--but I guarantee that neither would have justified paying for those packages.  The OBC became a complete joke.  By the time we renegotiated that into our deal, we had already bought all of the shore excursions we were going to take as well as specialty restaurants--at greatly reduced prices during early deals--so those were paid in full and not worth canceling and rebooking at higher prices just to burn onboard credit.  Since drinks and gratuities were all paid for...and we didn't need to pay for laundry either as Elite Plus cruisers, the only things we could use the nonrefundable ship OBC on was spa, gambling and gift shop purchases.  We had little time for the spa, we don't gamble...so we decided, going in, to use that OBC buying my wife a new iPad.  But, when that second cruise started, the Apple Store onboard posted a sign saying that, due to Irish Tax regulations, they would not sell any Apple products during the cruise!  (Luckily, we convinced Guest Relations to Mickey Mouse a solution to "launder" the OBC--so we had a large credit back to our account of $730 which included most of the cruise line OBC and my TA's refundable OBC).

Given that experience, I'd say, for most cruises, it's better to get zero perks and a lower price.  Psychologically, of course, it FEELS GOOD to have those "unlimited" perks...but, they're really usually not worth the upcharge to most of us.  That said, for my back-to-backs on Infinity next summer, we booked both with two perks--Drink packages and the $300 OBC (since it exceeds the cost of the gratuities on each by almost $100).  Booked it that way only because the cost differential between zero and two perks was only slightly more than the $300 OBC (about $10-11 per day more than that--meaning we "better" the break even on the second non-Captains Club drink)...And we have that OBC from the start--so, we can apply the excess to either a specialty restaurant or to a shorex (if we take any).

Thanks for your detailed explanation.   In our case, we're classic so we don't get free drinks/free internet or laundry( one perk I would use on a longer cruise, I like clean clothes).   After our cruise next month, we'll still be classic, but then after the Dec 2020 cruise, we'll be Elite.  Go figure.    It will have taken 4 cruises in AQ and 1 in a Sky Suite to become Elite.  ( that's a whole other topic)

Anyway, for the Touch Canal cruise in 2020, I called the TA, was given the prices, was told they included the perks.  I wasn't given an option of " no perks, cheaper price".  When I checked the prices on the X website, they were much higher than what the TA quoted me.  So, thats why I posted my Topic.  It was really hard to know if I was getting a better deal.   

I asked for quotes in AQ and Sky suite.  The difference in OBC between the two, made booking the Sky suite *only* 2k more.  We're not gamblers, however we are relaxers.  We love to hang out by the pool all day on Sea Days.  We're looking forward to the new Sun Deck/Pool area.  We don't drink alcohol, however we do consume a lot of water/sparking water/soda/specialty coffees.  We drink 1 or 2 virgin frozen drinks as well.  If we didn't have the package, we'd probably consume a lot less of those things.   

On the cruise next month in AQ, we did add the "best" package.  I believe it was 400 more.  We received 400 OBC ( 300 from cruise, 100 from TA) and we've used 300 of it on excursions.   I do some work on the cruise, so the unlimited internet is nice.  We have the classic bev package, thats enough and of course pre-paid grats.   

Never book with Perks. You are just paying upfront for them. I prefer to get lowest Cruise cost without Perks and I control the cost of any items that fall into the Perk Category. Exception of course would be gratuites. We are Elite Plus so we get Happy Hour provided with drinks every night, laundry, and 150 mins of internet pp. I would never come out ahead with a drink package. OBC are useful for excursions  but they are added to the cost of the Cruise. I have seen the same Cabin I purchased with OBC provided a day or so later at a higher cost, the only difference was OBC was added to the deal.

Bundling is generally cheaper IF you would use the perks.  The TP I referenced above was $1100 pp.  more for the 4 perks.  

Without perks we would purchase, at  least the Classic Beverage Package ( we get out money worth with the speciality coffees, juice, bottled water,  soda plus wine & cocktails).  So $59 +gratuity =$70.80 x nights is $1,062.  

The gratuties @$18x 15 = $270.  

Those 2 items =  $1332 more than the price to add all 4.   

We would also purchase a internet package to share and spend on extra gratuities to the staff, some of which we can use the OBC to cover.  

So for us bundling is generally a better deal than than pay as we go.

As others have said, if one doesn’t consume alcohol  or can make use of the Elite drinks then bundling may not be the least expensive option.

15 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Thanks for your detailed explanation.   In our case, we're classic so we don't get free drinks/free internet or laundry( one perk I would use on a longer cruise, I like clean clothes).   After our cruise next month, we'll still be classic, but then after the Dec 2020 cruise, we'll be Elite.  Go figure.    It will have taken 4 cruises in AQ and 1 in a Sky Suite to become Elite.  ( that's a whole other topic)

Anyway, for the Touch Canal cruise in 2020, I called the TA, was given the prices, was told they included the perks.  I wasn't given an option of " no perks, cheaper price".  When I checked the prices on the X website, they were much higher than what the TA quoted me.  So, thats why I posted my Topic.  It was really hard to know if I was getting a better deal.   

I asked for quotes in AQ and Sky suite.  The difference in OBC between the two, made booking the Sky suite *only* 2k more.  We're not gamblers, however we are relaxers.  We love to hang out by the pool all day on Sea Days.  We're looking forward to the new Sun Deck/Pool area.  We don't drink alcohol, however we do consume a lot of water/sparking water/soda/specialty coffees.  We drink 1 or 2 virgin frozen drinks as well.  If we didn't have the package, we'd probably consume a lot less of those things.   

On the cruise next month in AQ, we did add the "best" package.  I believe it was 400 more.  We received 400 OBC ( 300 from cruise, 100 from TA) and we've used 300 of it on excursions.   I do some work on the cruise, so the unlimited internet is nice.  We have the classic bev package, thats enough and of course pre-paid grats.   

The TA had Group space which accounts for the price difference between what they quoted and the price on the Celebrity.  

We book with them frequently and booked the Touch the Canal for Jan.  We opted for AQ for the large aft balcony. 

You mentioned relaxing at pool pool all day, I hope you are aware there will not be a pool on the Retreat Sun Deck, just a hot tub. 

24 minutes ago, calicakes said:

The TA is probably offering group booking pricing which would be lower than what is showing on the Celebrity website.  With the group booking, comes the perks and whatever the TA may throw in as OBC.

I love taking advantage of those because you can get really good deals.   I'd say go with the the better value (however you measure it). 

Here are the prices I was given.  3019 x 2 plus tax/fees = 6709 for an AQ on Dec 23, 2020, touch canal 12 nights.  Perks. Classic bev package, unlimited internet. pre-paid grats and 300 OBC plus 100 from TA = 400 OBC. 

S1 suite. 4549 x 2 plus tax/fees = 9169.  Premium package, grats, unlimited internet and 300 OBC plus 100 OBC from TA PLUS 900 OBC from TA.  We also get another 50 OBC for being loyalty members with TA.   I know we'll use the OBC for excursions since I'd rather take X exursions in S. America vs. doing them on my own. 

16 hours ago, late2cruisin said:

If you look for an "exciting deals" rate, or a resident rate, or one of the rates that excludes the perks, you'll be able to see the difference between that rate and the inclusive one. On most cruises I've looked at lately, it seems to be around $45 pp per day for 2 perks. Only you can decide if it's worth that to you.

That's actually a good deal for some one like me who would purchase a drink package on another line for $49 pp. The second perk would be the savings.