What is delaying NCL on cruise decisions?

moondoggie

OK, Dorian has screwed up everything. 

That said, our scheduled cruise from Port Canaveral on SUN 96 hours from now (Sept 7) is still showing planned stops in Freeport and Great Stirrup Cay--uh, I don't think so.  Nassau is still showing as a planned stop--so that's a maybe.

Regardless, SUN's 8/29 sailing from PC is returning to New Orleans 9/3, not PC, and the scheduled 9/2 cruise is cancelled--this makes perfect sense.  

Why can't NCL tell us what their tentative plans are--and if cancelling or modifying is an option--all of us on the 9/7 SUN sailing must make arrangements NOW to (1) get to PC by car or flight, (2) figure out hotel and parking if driving (3) adding an additional travel day if driving will take us through Dorian's path to get to PC (4) make arrangements to meet SUN in New Orleans and possibly cruise to Mexican ports.

NCL--please give us some REASONABLE updates on your plans--we cannot press a Star Trek 'transporter button' at the last minute!  Even tentative plans would help us passengers to figure out what we are going to do.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, moondoggie said:

That said, our scheduled cruise from Port Canaveral on SUN 96 hours from now (Sept 7) is still showing planned stops in Freeport and Great Stirrup Cay--uh, I don't think so.  Nassau is still showing as a planned stop--so that's a maybe.

Regardless, SUN's 8/29 sailing from PC is returning to New Orleans 9/3, not PC, and the scheduled 9/2 cruise is cancelled--this makes perfect sense.  

Why can't NCL tell us what their tentative plans are--and if cancelling or modifying is an option--all of us on the 9/7 SUN sailing must make arrangements NOW to (1) get to PC by car or flight, (2) figure out hotel and parking if driving (3) adding an additional travel day if driving will take us through Dorian's path to get to PC (4) make arrangements to meet SUN in New Orleans and possibly cruise to Mexican ports.

NCL--please give us some REASONABLE updates on your plans--we cannot press a Star Trek 'transporter button' at the last minute!  Even tentative plans would help us passengers to figure out what we are going to do.

Just a guess here, but I imagine their immediate efforts are being put into the logistics of what to do with the thousands of passengers they have had on board and need to get home.  The storm is still out there and taking its own sweet time in deciding where it will go.  You will not be sailing from New Orleans, because they would then have to return you to NO.  Your cruise will either go or not from Port C.

• Like 1

The tentative plan is obviously for it still to go as planned.

Nassau port has already opened back up. As stated above, they are likely more concerned with the passengers they have on their ships now. They are probably assessing/waiting to assess the damage to GSC and reaching out to their employees that live in the Bahamas TO MAKE SURE THEY'RE OK. I wouldn't be surprised if they're also trying to figure out anyway they can help the Bahamas and what their needs are as they, and other cruise lines, have helped after previous hurricanes. 

With Nassau's port being open your cruise is still going to go there unless Port Canaveral sustains damage as the hurricane makes its way up the coast - which NCL won't know until after it passes...around Thurs or Fri. 

Edited by smplybcause
  • Like 2

It’s simple logistics deal 1st with the immediate need ie ships in motion now then deal with next weeks. As to certain ports they have not been able to get to them as of last night to asses the damage and wether they can still port there since the storm was still in play in that area

• Like 1

The Sun will arrive in New Orleans in a couple of hours (it is beyond it's planned arrival time early this morning). 

The storm will clear the PC area tomorrow. 

Other than knowing that the cruise will operate from PC on Saturday, not sure what more you can expect. 

So, unlike driving an RV down the highway and spontaneously deciding where you want to stop and visit, switching ports in an area being affected by the storm is not an easy task. The port of Nassau webcam Portnassauwebcam (dot) com shows a few people walking on the beach. No ships in port (probably tomorrow). 

The Coast Guard and local Port officials CAN NOT make any decisions as to which Florida ports can re-open or when until AFTER THE HURRICANE HAS PASSED and they can asset each port.  Since the hurricane is moving at ONE MILE PER HOUR  with winds out 120+ miles from the eye-- it might take a bit for decisions to be made by anyone.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KarlChilders said:

Just a guess here, but I imagine their immediate efforts are being put into the logistics of what to do with the thousands of passengers they have had on board and need to get home.  The storm is still out there and taking its own sweet time in deciding where it will go.  You will not be sailing from New Orleans, because they would then have to return you to NO.  Your cruise will either go or not from Port C.

Dorian is now moving at a pace of 2 MPH......taking her sweet time for sure.  Still south of Port Canaveral....should be gone by the time the Sun gets around Florida...but no guarantees.  

7 hours ago, moondoggie said:

You are making an assumption that NCL has tentative plans, and that is highly unlikely.

If you want to guess Nassau is likely a go, the storm was well north of there. GSC may still be a go, but it is too early for them to get there to determine the condition. If those two are OK, Freeport will likely turn into a day at sea.

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 1

Let's assume that Freeport is a no go.

First thing they need to do is look at the full itinerary and figure out what the options are for replacement. Then, they need to see about dock space. Then, perhaps look if changing the itinerary (reversing it or whatever) might be a better option. And then, checking for port space.

Oh, and there are other cruise lines doing the same exact thing currently. It's not like dock space appears out of nowhere.

Plus, with the storm finally leaving the Bahamas, they won't know suitability of private islands until they can get someone out there, which something they can just start to do.

All of this takes time, unfortunately.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, moondoggie said:

I'm probably one of the biggest NCL critics on CC and I will say that they simply have no way of knowing what's going to be open and what won't.

So you have 3 ports:

1. Freeport

2. GSC

3. Nassau

The first, Freeport....forget about it. You're not going there.

The second, GSC, has a 50-50 chance of being good to go. It wasn't in the middle of it all but there's still cleanup that needs to take place and nobody knows if those people will show up to clean up GSC if their homes are damaged.

The third, Nassau, is actually ok. I don't think they suffered any damage. Having said that, the government may put a hold on cruise ships coming in because every ounce of resources and manpower the Bahamas has is being spent on trying to help Grand Bahama Island and the Abaco Islands.

My best advice to you is sit tight and don't worry about. You'll go somewhere...and I wouldn't be surprised if you sailed on a modified itinerary which included Key West and/or Cozumel and/or Costa Maya.

op I know you would love an answer but there really is none at this point and it wouldn't probably make a difference anyway. You will cruise where you cruise. Most of us who have cruised during hurricane season have been faced, at one time with delays, changes in itinerary and cancellations of ports.It really isn't going to affect how much you like or don't like your cruise. So, just relax. I know that isn't easy, but try and roll with the punches. NCL is doing the best they can to make the right decision for everyone. 

Thanks to all that posted.  We are completely understanding of the situation, but are still very amused that the 'boilerplate' updates on Dorian at the top of the NCL web page still shows Freeport as a stop.  Now hoping that NCL will be communicating more accurately--as we must leave to travel a long distance to PC 48 hours from now.  

I have received nothing via email from NCL about this cruise--learning everything from my wonderful CC posters and going to the NCL website!

Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

OP,

Shouldn't your immediate concern be how you will be coping with the mandatory evacuation orders in South Carolina and have it will affect any transportation throughout the southeast region due to other states' evacuation plans and the impact of Dorian (such as flooding that will shut down roads) as it moves north?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

I'm probably one of the biggest NCL critics on CC and I will say that they simply have no way of knowing what's going to be open and what won't.

So you have 3 ports:

1. Freeport

2. GSC

3. Nassau

The first, Freeport....forget about it. You're not going there.

The second, GSC, has a 50-50 chance of being good to go. It wasn't in the middle of it all but there's still cleanup that needs to take place and nobody knows if those people will show up to clean up GSC if their homes are damaged.

The third, Nassau, is actually ok. I don't think they suffered any damage. Having said that, the government may put a hold on cruise ships coming in because every ounce of resources and manpower the Bahamas has is being spent on trying to help Grand Bahama Island and the Abaco Islands.

My best advice to you is sit tight and don't worry about. You'll go somewhere...and I wouldn't be surprised if you sailed on a modified itinerary which included Key West and/or Cozumel and/or Costa Maya.

If GSC is not cleaned up there could be a ship full of people passing by they could stop and help for a few hours

• Haha 1

Both the Norwegian Dawn and Mariner of the Seas were supposed to be in Nassau today and they're not. Not sure if they got stuck away due to the Hurricane or because Nassau isn't accepting cruise ships. The Carnival Sunshine and Symphony of the Seas are due to be in Nassau tomorrow so we'll see.

Homosassa, we live a few miles inland, and are 20 feet above sea level.  Didn't have any flooding or problems during Matthew and Florence.  Dorian's edge is scheduled to skirt our coastline, and only provide heightened rain and waves.

If we can get to I-95 we should be fine.  And I have several alternative routes planned.  

But if Sun is planning only to cruise around the ocean, we want to cancel and reschedule for another port/ship/cruiseline.  Would be nice to know before we arrive at the port...

2 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Both the Norwegian Dawn and Mariner of the Seas were supposed to be in Nassau today and they're not. Not sure if they got stuck away due to the Hurricane or because Nassau isn't accepting cruise ships. The Carnival Sunshine and Symphony of the Seas are due to be in Nassau tomorrow so we'll see.

Dawn is already scheduled for the Boston-Quebec cruise Aug 31.

OK, if SUN is sailing on Saturday, and Port Canaveral is open today, why won't NCL allow me to print e-docs?

We must leave home tomorrow to stay overnight before sailing!

Please, NCL, release the e-docs or cancel the cruise!  Remember, we don''t have the Star Trek 'magic button' to transport us upon demand!