Statue of Liberty?

DaisyGirl55

I am cruising next year out of NY, but do not know if it is out of Brooklyn terminal or Manhattan.

Does it matter which terminal we sail out of in regards to sailing by the Statue of Liberty?  Be kind of disappointing to sail out of NY and not go past the Statue. 

Also, do we sail under any of the bridges?

18 minutes ago, DaisyGirl55 said:

I am cruising next year out of NY, but do not know if it is out of Brooklyn terminal or Manhattan.

Does it matter which terminal we sail out of in regards to sailing by the Statue of Liberty?  Be kind of disappointing to sail out of NY and not go past the Statue. 

Also, do we sail under any of the bridges?

From the Manhattan terminal you sail right by the SOL.  From Brooklyn you can see the SOL but don’t sail in front of it.  From either terminal you will sail under the Verrazano Bridge..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Occasionally a captain sailing from Red Hook in Brooklyn will swing the ship slightly upriver past Governors Island to give passengers a better view of the statue but not always-- its dependent on their prerogative and river traffic (this also occasionally happens with ships sailing from Bayonne). The one ship that this typically never happens on is Queen Mary 2 but it does on some Princess departures. 

The best view sailing out you could hope for is if you depart from the Manhattan Passenger Ship Terminal. 

What ship are you sailing on? Most likely easy to figure out which terminal you are using. 

7 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

What ship are you sailing on? Most likely easy to figure out which terminal you are using. 

The OP’s signature shows the Carnival Mardi Gras, Sept. 30, 2020.  Unless I’ve missed something, cruisett.com doesn’t go out that far yet, nor does the Manhattan/Brooklyn port schedule, and cruisetimetables.com says New York City, which could be either. 

OP, why not call Carnival and ask which terminal in NY you are sailing from? 

2 hours ago, Garth2 said:

If you have a choice, pick a cruise that sails from Manhattan.  The views of the west side of Manhattan, including the Freedom Tower, plus the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, are priceless.

Yes - the sail away from Manhattan gives a great view of the New York skyline and the statue - departures from both ports has you going under the Verrazano Bridge - it always looks like you will not fit under.  

45 minutes ago, COCKYMARK said:

What about when you sail out of bayonne?

You do not sail by the SOL unless the captain decides to do it ( or gets permission to do it), which is rare.   You are south of the SOL by about 2 miles.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2655859-statue-of-liberty-from-cruise-ship/?tab=comments#comment-57290639

Post #12

Edited by 138east

4 hours ago, COCKYMARK said:

4 hours ago, 138east said:

You do not sail by the SOL unless the captain decides to do it ( or gets permission to do it), which is rare.   You are south of the SOL by about 2 miles.

The Celebrity Summit has definitely been making an effort to do a sail up to the SOL from Bayonne, according to posters in the Celebrity forum.  Certainly there are no guarantees that this will happen.

So we were very pleasantly surprised when we boarded the Summit yesterday and Captain Matt announced at the end of the muster drill that he was taking us up to the SOL. He did so, and then stopped the ship for a good bit right in front of the Statue. Then turned, so everyone had a great view. It was a beautiful afternoon for this. I was very happy for the folks on board who had never sailed past the Statue. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, 138east said:

You do not sail by the SOL unless the captain decides to do it ( or gets permission to do it), which is rare.

It's not super rare-- it happens with a good degree of regularity. Basically their plan is to always do it unless traffic on the Hudson prevents it or the pilot objects for some reason (at least thats the plan the Summit follows based on my conversation with the captain a couple years ago). 

On 9/9/2019 at 5:27 PM, COCKYMARK said:

As correctly pointed out by 138 East, you do not sail by the SoL on departures from Bayonne. Occasionally it does occur. I have had 4 cruises out of Bayonne and once the captain detoured to pass by the statue. That cruise was a repositioning cruise unlike the others that returned to NJ. Celebrity seems to detour with more frequency than Royal. It is not Royal's plan to sail by the statue. If it happens, consider it a bonus.

The odds are good if you’re going to Bermuda on the Celebrity Summit you’ll go  close to SOL. This practice was started by Capt Leo years ago and since it was so well received by pax they try to oblige. We met up with the NCL ship leaving a little earlier from Manhattan and followed them all the way to Bermuda. The FDNY also puts on a nice display if they are not needed elsewhere. 

That said you can’t count on it from Bayonne, and nothing compares to the sailaway from Manhattan past the skyline. 

2 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

And only if you get up really, really early returning. 

Remember in my younger days  living in nyc I would occasionally stay up all night to see the statue , my first job was in lower Manhattan and we had a perfect view of the statue.