MDR dress code non formal nights

jbeth

40 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Oh but it is great that Princess doesn't force people to dress up on any evening.

If you would only take the time to read the link you provided in your post. 

We choose the less formal route & it's worked very well on literally dozens of Princess cruises for the past 15 years including T shirts and jeans on casual evenings for the DH and jeans with my plain top. (even shorts on the CB every casual night) 😲

Yes people do dress up and if you enjoy making a dressy occasion out of a casual evening no one will stop you but stop trying to make the cruise line sound more formal than it is in real life. 

"Oh but it is great that Princess doesn't force people to dress up on any evening."

Yes, they DO NOT force you to dress up on any evening. There are options besides the dining rooms.

"including T shirts and jeans on casual evenings for the DH and jeans with my plain top"

Language is important. The dining rooms don't have "casual" nights, they have "smart casual" nights. The difference is important. The Horizon Court is a "casual" dining venue and not considered a "dining room".

"stop trying to make the cruise line sound more formal than it is in real life"

Stop trying to make the dining rooms sound more casual than they are in real life.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, The Mikado said:

Because they aren’t familiar with what constitutes formal dress or...?

In the particular case that Tobyt mentioned the HW or Maitre'd seemed to not understand what constituted formal wear. That is he did not understand that a dress shirt with a collar was part of formal wear.

Edited by brisalta

Just now, brisalta said:

In the particular case the HW or Maitre'd seemed to not understand what constituted formal wear. That is he did not understand that a dress shirt with a collar was part of formal wear.

It’s part of “formal wear” when it’s under a tux or dinner jacket. Not when it’s worn as the only outer garment on top of jeans and flops. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

"Oh but it is great that Princess doesn't force people to dress up on any evening."

Yes, they DO NOT force you to dress up on any evening. There are options besides the dining rooms.

BS

"including T shirts and jeans on casual evenings for the DH and jeans with my plain top"

Language is important. The dining rooms don't have "casual" nights, they have "smart casual" nights. The difference is important. The Horizon Court is a "casual" dining venue and not considered a "dining room".

You are correct. DR's on Princess have evolved in casual evenings.

Like it or not.

"stop trying to make the cruise line sound more formal than it is in real life"

Stop trying to make the dining rooms sound more casual than they are in real life.

Cruise a few more times on Princess & let us know just how casual they really are.

Wow are you ever living in a dream world. 

I think you should re-read the link you yourself posted about formal options.

People don't really want the rules quoted to them as they can find it for themselves. They want the reality of what happens on  Princess ship & your version is only what you perceive in your dreams.

We haven't dressed up for formal evenings in the DR for well over a decade & never had one problem gaining entrance. 

Enjoy your fantasy world. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Mikado said:

It’s part of “formal wear” when it’s under a tux or dinner jacket. Not when it’s worn as the only outer garment on top of jeans and flops. 

Except according to Tobyt he was not dressed as you describe.

37 minutes ago, The Mikado said:

I agree, and there are MANY here who agree also, but after having been shouted down and having posts removed by the "how DARE you tell me how to dress on MY cruise" crowd, this is a useless battle. The concepts of "elegance" and "taste" have long-ago departed from our society. Just look at what passes for acceptable in music, movies, social media, and virtually anything else you can name that mirrors the cesspool our popular culture has become.

Sorry but dressing up for your enjoyment doesn't do anything for me. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Wow are you ever living in a dream world. 

I think you should re-read the link you yourself posted about formal options.

People don't really want the rules quoted to them as they can find it for themselves. They want the reality of what happens on  Princess ship & your version is only what you perceive in your dreams.

We haven't dressed up for formal evenings in the DR for well over a decade & never had one problem gaining entrance. 

Enjoy your fantasy world. 

Image result for confused emoji wow.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Some of you posters above keep flipping back and forth between discussing formal night wear and smart-casual night wear.  This topic was supposed to be about smart-casual per the OP's title and posting and one of the mods gently reminded participants to stay on topic recently.

One poster above (@scottca075) provided a link into Princess website, but it is a page with menu items and if one searches, one can find different information about dress recommendations and what to bring.

That said, nice jeans have LONG been accepted for both sexes under the Smart Casual category.  If @scottca075 or anyone else doesn't like jeans, well hunky-dory - just wear what you prefer.  Personally, I have only taken jeans on one cruise ever (it included some colder weather days) and they do take up more bulk in luggage.  I just don't think people need to be preached at.  There is a fine line in stating what one likes to wear and observes on board versus trying to convert the crowd to your way of dressing for whatever occasion. 

5 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Some of you posters above keep flipping back and forth between discussing formal night wear and smart-casual night wear.  This topic was supposed to be about smart-casual per the OP's title and posting and one of the mods gently reminded participants to stay on topic recently.

One poster above (@scottca075) provided a link into Princess website, but it is a page with menu items and if one searches, one can find different information about dress recommendations and what to bring.

That said, nice jeans have LONG been accepted for both sexes under the Smart Casual category.  If @scottca075 or anyone else doesn't like jeans, well hunky-dory - just wear what you prefer.  Personally, I have only taken jeans on one cruise ever (it included some colder weather days) and they do take up more bulk in luggage.  I just don't think people need to be preached at.  There is a fine line in stating what one likes to wear and observes on board versus trying to convert the crowd to your way of dressing for whatever occasion. 

That is the crux of this whole discussion. What Princess prints & what is the actuality of dressing on a Princess ship. Some like to believe every word that's printed while others go by past experience.

Take your choice. 

On 9/11/2019 at 2:26 AM, MissP22 said:

We were on the CB in Oct/Nov 2018 and for some unexplained reason it was as you described. 

Not that my DH was complaining but he did enjoy wearing his shorts for dinner a few times. No one seemed to be upset with their decision about allowing them when we cruised. 

He only wishes the other ships would follow suit since the women can wear them all the times on casual evenings. 

Women can wear muscle shirts and husband beaters and no body bats an eye.  🤔

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Sorry but dressing up for your enjoyment doesn't do anything for me. 

Let's not start this again. You know VERY WELL this has nothing to do with "[my] enjoyment". It has everything to do with the sad decline in standards in EVERYTHING over the years.

And you can always eat in the buffet on formal nights.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

That is the crux of this whole discussion. What Princess prints & what is the actuality of dressing on a Princess ship. Some like to believe every word that's printed while others go by past experience.

Take your choice. 

Yes, the crux of the discussion or OP's post has to do with what is the actual situation and what people do, but I was just trying to point out that providing information on what a poster does and what they observe is different than getting on a soap box and preaching to the masses to convert to their preferences.  That is what gets posts and threads deleted IMO.  

What Princess writes and posts on their website is sometimes nuanced and makes more sense once one has been on a cruise or two.  Also, Princess writes about two different approaches to smart-casual and formal clothing in two different areas of the FAQ section (and both have been posted on past dress code topic threads more than once).  The second and less often noticed one is much more relaxed in clothing recommendations.

I suppose I may be accused of preaching here (for more civility I should think), but I am one who respects people's choices as there is considerable latitude available and most people make good choices - just as they do when dining out at home.  There isn't much point in trying to direct people to change if they don't have to.

That said, what people wear doesn't affect the enjoyment of my cruise, although an eyebrow might momentarily twitch.  By and large we find the folks on Princess to be very nice people and comport themselves well and it is all part of the overall atmosphere we enjoy, which includes great staff and services.

Edited by steelers36
I added a couple of clarifying notes.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Mikado said:

Let's not start this again. You know VERY WELL this has nothing to do with "[my] enjoyment". It has everything to do with the sad decline in standards in EVERYTHING over the years.

And you can always eat in the buffet on formal nights.

Oh, but Princess's words are that exactly. Dress for the enjoyment of others. 

I choose to eat where the menu appeals to me and on formal nights the buffet just doesn't serve those same items.

Hence, the DR is our go to choice.

If the lack of formal clothing choices are a decrement to anyone's  enjoyment they should be annoyed that Princess doesn't have the same food selection at all locations. 

But this thread is about casual evenings, not formal. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Yes, the crux of the discussion or OP's post has to do with what is the actual situation and what people do, but I was just trying to point out that providing information on what a poster does and what they observe is different than getting on a soap box and preaching to the masses to convert to their preferences.  That is what gets posts and threads deleted IMO.  

What Princess writes and posts on their website is sometimes nuanced and makes more sense once one has been on a cruise or two.  Also, Princess writes about two different approaches to smart-casual and formal clothing in two different areas of the FAQ section (and both have been posted on past dress code topic threads more than once).  The second and less often noticed one is much more relaxed in clothing recommendations.

I suppose I may be accused of preaching here (for more civility I should think), but I am one who respects people's choices as there is considerable latitude available and most people make good choices - just as they do when dining out at home.  There isn't much point in trying to direct people to change if they don't have to.

That said, what people wear doesn't affect the enjoyment of my cruise, although an eyebrow might momentarily twitch.  By and large we find the folks on Princess to be very nice people and comport themselves well and it is all part of the overall atmosphere we enjoy, which includes great staff and services.

👍👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Oh, but Princess's words are that exactly. Dress for the enjoyment of others.

Interesting statement - and I have read those words by Princess.  Let's put all differences aside on the topic and just think about this one thing.  It would be an IMPOSSIBILITY for 2000 - 3000 people to all dress for the enjoyment of all the rest of the people.  It would never be the case as everyone has different style tastes.  Some might be in the latest fashion and some could be well-dated.    

It's like you can please most of the people most of the time, but not quite all of the people all of the time. 

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 1

As an aside - what do you people think the MAIN job , and then secondary jobs of the Maitre D should be, and what it actually is on his/her Princess ship and dining room ?

Host CJSkids - if this is in the wrong forum or not allowed ... please remove ASAP as this is no attempt to incite ...