Do you clean your cabin?

travelingfrog

1 hour ago, erewhon said:

Passengers leave the "Privacy Please "  and write a note stating service of room not required, please have  a good time with your relatives today (or similar message) and stick on the stateroom door.  There were numerous such messages on the doors during the ship visit at Benoa.  The crew members really look forward to being on a cruise that calls at a port in their home country.   It is a pleasure to see crew members showing their  relatives around the ship.

It's a little better organized on the Grand cruises that call in Bali or Java.  On the 2019 Grand Asia we were provided with a card where we indicated what service, if any, we wanted during our calls in Benoa and Samarang and to leave the card in our mail slot by the door.  

First thing I do when getting  in my cabin is take out my wipes and mini Lyson can.  I wipe all surfaces, tv controls, door knobs.

I also keep my hand sanitizer and wipes in my purse to use along with ship items.

I'm a rather neat person and don't  leave items all over my room at home  so same on cruise.

On 9/14/2019 at 10:07 PM, HamOp said:

To clean the TV remote, just fill the bathroom sink up with really hot water and soak the remote for an hour.

Works every time😁

HamOp  I really feel that your profile attachment should be outlawed.  I tried about 3 times to kill the but that landed on my computer screen.:classic_rolleyes:

On 9/14/2019 at 9:44 PM, victory2020 said:

I always bring  bottle of sanitizer & spray down most surfaces when we arrive. We also keep our cabin tidy (make bed, hang up towels, put towels we want replaced in a pile on the counter, wipe down sink) every time we leave the room. The cabin stewards have enough to do.

20 minutes ago, ncshp955 said:

HamOp  I really feel that your profile attachment should be outlawed.  I tried about 3 times to kill the but that landed on my computer screen.:classic_rolleyes:

The bug shall live forever!!!!!!  Next time try this 🔨

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

I think I have read on World Cruise blogs, that most all the passengers do this so that the crew can spend time with their families in their home countries.  I think it is a very nice gesture of the passengers.

Wonderful gesture and very much appreciated by the crew.  When I am on a back-to-back cruise, I tell my room stewards not to bother with my cabin until the evening or the next morning as turnaround day is very busy for them and even one less cabin to clean may be helpful. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Orlando, call him..

When is the last rime you spoke with him on the telephone? If there is such a policy (as you described), Shouldn't HAL have something in writing on the subject?

I am requesting that you cite that reference, please..

We've often given our cabin stewards the day off - whether it's on a trans-Atlantic, or a back to back, or whatever.  On turn-around day, I put a note on the door (after telling the stewards in advance) saying we don't need cabin service that day.  I actually had a supervisor call our room after seeing the note, thanking me for being so kind to the staff.   I figure they work hard enough, I can certainly take care of our cabin for a day without help!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 2

16 hours ago, airlink diva said:

First thing I do when getting  in my cabin is take out my wipes and mini Lyson can.  I wipe all surfaces, tv controls, door knobs.

I also keep my hand sanitizer and wipes in my purse to use along with ship items.

I'm a rather neat person and don't  leave items all over my room at home  so same on cruise.

Haha -- a cruiser after my own heart! On X, where they are constantly offering your hand sanitizer, I just pull out my little bottle from Bath&BodyWorks and say: Thanks, but I brought my own!

And, I agree -- the best thing that you can do to help your cabin steward is to pick up your personal items, so that they can clean and straighten up. Walking down the hallways in the morning, it's amazing to see what a mess the cabin stewards have to deal with, sometime!

9 hours ago, KroozNut said:

When is the last rime you spoke with him on the telephone? If there is such a policy (as you described), Shouldn't HAL have something in writing on the subject?

I am requesting that you cite that reference, please..

KroozNut … 99.999999% sure this was posted in jest.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Some of the notes on pax cabin doors on Amsterdam's grand world voyage folks are talking about here

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

And some of the Indonesian crew entering their home waters and visiting with their families

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling

Image may contain: 2 people

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling

Image may contain: 7 people

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling

John,

Thanks for posting the photos, we experienced this on board both the Volendam and the Maasdam where the stewards whose families were visiting were given the extra time to be with their families.

A special day for them.

• Like 2

We do not and have never wiped, sanitized or cleaned our cabin when arriving or during our trip.  I think that if I don't do this when I am going about my life day to day (grocery shopping, sitting in waiting rooms, visiting other peoples homes, going to museums, etc.)  then there is no need to do it for us when we enter a hotel/rented apartment/cabin.  We practice good hand washing and keep our hands away from our face, sneezing into our elbows and don't shake hands (we do elbow to elbow as one captain taught us).  People should do whatever it is that makes them feel comfortable.

We do keep our cabin neat so our steward has an easier time to do the things he needs to do each day.

When I first saw this Thread, I was at a loss to understand its purpose - after all, who cares whether or not I "clean my room".  But then it dawned on me - this Thread was started to give folks an opportunity to virtue signal, much the same as the frequent Threads about how much to tip room stewards, dinning attendants, bartenders, Front Desk personnel, concierges, etc., etc., etc.  And now, some 70 Posts later, I see that the purpose has been fulfilled.  Congrats, all!!!

P.S.  Only our Room Stewards know how well or poorly Mrs A and I clean our staterooms ... and they're not talking!

3 hours ago, avian777 said:

When I first saw this Thread, I was at a loss to understand its purpose - after all, who cares whether or not I "clean my room".  But then it dawned on me - this Thread was started to give folks an opportunity to virtue signal, much the same as the frequent Threads about how much to tip room stewards, dinning attendants, bartenders, Front Desk personnel, concierges, etc., etc., etc.  And now, some 70 Posts later, I see that the purpose has been fulfilled.  Congrats, all!!!

P.S.  Only our Room Stewards know how well or poorly Mrs A and I clean our staterooms ... and they're not talking!

I could be entirely wrong (which happens a lot), but I think you have missed the OP's point in starting this thread altogether.

I interpreted their point more as a query about whether folks may be a bit concerned about sanitation and germs in their cabin, and for this reason tend to sanitize or 'clean' their cabins upon arrival, or even periodically during their cruise.

Like I said, I could be wrong though..

4 hours ago, KroozNut said:

I could be entirely wrong (which happens a lot), but I think you have missed the OP's point in starting this thread altogether.

I interpreted their point more as a query about whether folks may be a bit concerned about sanitation and germs in their cabin, and for this reason tend to sanitize or 'clean' their cabins upon arrival, or even periodically during their cruise.

Like I said, I could be wrong though..

I personally didn’t read it that way but you have a valid point.  Somehow I don’t equate doing some “sanitization” of your cabin as cleaning it when you first board but I understand the potential.   That said my answer stays the same, no we don’t sanitize or clean our cabin when we first board or any time afterwards.   

8 hours ago, avian777 said:

Oh my...I didn't respond to the OP because I didn't want to admit that I, too, go around with disinfectants and so forth to make myself more comfortable.

I Am a Germ Freak.

But if I can virtue signal, I also do my best throughout the cruise to keep our cabin clean and lighten the load of the stateroom attendants.

We owned a pleasure boat for many years and the motto in our family was, "A clean boat is a happy boat."

A rule to live and die by.

Many times we’ve looked in various cabins while we’re passing by if the door is open and the steward is making up the room, usually because we’re curious about the various cabin layouts. Sometimes, not often, but sometimes, it’s a disgusting mess. 

As a result, just in case those kind of messy passengers have inhabited our cabin on the previous cruise, my wife also does a quick wipe down with disinfectant. 

And I don’t think the OP had any hidden agenda, I think they were genuinely curious if other people do the same thing. And my answer is yes.

• Like 1