Equinox rerouting to Labadee instead of Key West

FirstTimeFreddy

On board the Equinox now and have just been advised by the Captain that due to inclement weather expected at Key West in the next 24-48 hours, the Equinox is rerouting to Labadee. It's a real shame for those of us whom have never visited Key West, but understandable if another storm is coming in. Is another hurricane expected?

Yes, big disappointment.    Had been looking forward to KeyWest.  Had stopped in Labadee before and nothing we are interested in seeing/doing again.  Price we pay for booking during hurricane season...

Not sure what storm they are worried about.  Jerry is supposed to be hooking toward the NorthEast and Bermuda.  The only other system nearby that I’ve seen is just south of our current location.  I haven’t seen anything that’s been predicted to move toward the keys.

Edited by MAKZ06

11 minutes ago, MAKZ06 said:

Yes, big disappointment.    Had been looking forward to KeyWest.  Had stopped in Labadee before and nothing we are interested in seeing/doing again.  Price we pay for booking during hurricane season...

Not sure what storm they are worried about.  Jerry is supposed to be hooking toward the NorthEast and Bermuda.  The only other system nearby that I’ve seen is just south of our current location.  I haven’t seen anything that’s been predicted to move toward the keys.

The weather shows thunderstorms and wind for key west.

Interesting how perspectives are different. I love Labadee and it is one of my favorite stops (for the beach, swimming, and overall experience) when I cruise and I actually look for trips that have it.  I've never been a big fan of Key West and would be thrilled to have that switch! 

In any case, enjoy your cruise (the Equinox is one my favorite ships) and good luck with the weather!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Also just checking weather and looks like Labadee will also be rainy for the next 3 days. 

Sorry for your change, when you go to Labadee just pretend that everywhere you go on the island was at one time visited by Ernest Hemingway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We have been to Key West on land trips, but only to Labadee once on the now departed Mercury when it was doing some sailings out of Baltimore.  We actually enjoyed Labadee more than we had expected.  Heaven only knows how the stop is handled now but in 2010 a gigantic picnic style buffet was moved off of the ship and set up in a large outdoor area (covered picnic tables and large grills).  Bartenders from the ship were staffing some bars on the shore.  We had the impression that the crew were having fun doing something different.

• Like 1

Guess they decided based on forecasts for land and sea.

A rainy day in Key West could be salvaged if not stormy There are indoor bars,  restaurants, stores  and museums etc,  A rainy day on Labadee is a rainout!

• Like 2

Here is the latest forecast.... Jerry is heading north... so should not impact Ft Lauderdale on Monday. But those of us on the next cruise.... will have to pay attention ...or at least the Captain will.... to the other 'disturbances' on the horizon. I am wondering about St Thomas next Thursday...

Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 11.57.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 11.58.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 11.59.47 AM.png

58 minutes ago, kearney said:

Here is the latest forecast.... Jerry is heading north... so should not impact Ft Lauderdale on Monday. But those of us on the next cruise.... will have to pay attention ...or at least the Captain will.... to the other 'disturbances' on the horizon. I am wondering about St Thomas next Thursday...

Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 11.57.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 11.58.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 11.59.47 AM.png

Also cruising Monday....ready to go...

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Also cruising Monday....ready to go...

I recently realized that this is the 5 year in a road that we are cruising during the height of hurricane season.... wondering where will end up going... don't mind the mystery... just home no one gets hit.

We gave up hurricane season cruises awhile ago ... even from Bayonne. You can end up  heading north instead of south and vice versa...too stressful for us,  

We also try to avoid winter cruises to the Caribbean  unless we are already in Fla..Got tired of weather watching, changing flights and hotels more than once,  Never missed a sailaway but it was  stressful and often costly to re-arrange things,

Wishing everyone onboard now and heading out  in the next few weeks.good luck and smooth cruising!

I think Key West is just hard place to dock in general.  We sailed on Equinox twice last year with scheduled stops in Key West.  During our January sailing we skipped the port (just an extra sea day for us) because they couldn’t get into port.  Our September sailing during hurricane season was fine to dock.  I recall it was either winds or fog that caused the problem.  

😕🤔🤨  Are you sure you were in Key West in March?  We were there in December and did not see those conditions.  We rode bikes all over the island.  Key West can be a little noisy at times, but mostly the island is enjoyable and beautiful!

Edited by Iamthesea

We were on this sailing and it was fabulous from start to finish

We're especially impressed that with the change of itinerary that the Food/Bev did such a great job in Labadee.

All of the food/bev was loaded on pallets and then unloaded for the day... and then reversed at the end

We spoke with one of the Mgrs who was up with the crew til 1am the morning of Labadee and then back at it at 6am when they were ready to unload for the day in the resort

The Officers and crew of the Equinox are very customer service oriented. It was a great time

• Like 1