Dottie's Infomercials

Flatbush Flyer

At the risk of getting flamed by her loyal fans, I've got to comment on the Cruise Director Dottie's incessant and ultra-repetitive infomercials. 

Just off Riviera, I do give Dottie great credit for excellent trivia sessions, including the post lunch men vs women competition - always enjoyable.

At the other end of the spectrum however is bombardment with hawking of onboard selling- far more than any other of the numerous O cruise directors we have enjoyed over the years (e.g., Ray Carr, Leslie John, John Egan).

It begins each morning on the TV where, instead of informative/entertaining daily interviews with crew NOT selling stuff (e.g., a deck or engineering officer, a chef or entertainer or the GM or exec Concierge), which would help build brand loyalty),  she first repeats every product/service sale that Is already listed in the daily Currents and then often has the person selling the stuff as a guest -repeating what she just said - before she repeats it again.  And then, by the late afternoon, you've heard the same P.A. pitch - at least at noon and five. One can only hear so much about buying acupuncture and Bellari jewelry before it actually turns you off to the possibility.

I mention this because it is so uncharacteristic of our past and current experience with other Oceania CDs.

Fortunately, the new On Demand TV system provides other viewing options. And you can join the chorus of groans when her PA selling interrupts everything from cooking classes to port lectures. But, it's still sad not to have the "morning show" opportunity to learn more about the ship and its core personnel. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

At the risk of getting flamed by her loyal fans, I've got to comment on the Cruise Director Dottie's incessant and ultra-repetitive infomercials. 

Just off Riviera, I do give Dottie great credit for excellent trivia sessions, including the post lunch men vs women competition - always enjoyable.

At the other end of the spectrum however is bombardment with hawking of onboard selling- far more than any other of the numerous O cruise directors we have enjoyed over the years (e.g., Ray Carr, Leslie John, John Egan).

It begins each morning on the TV where, instead of informative/entertaining daily interviews with crew NOT selling stuff (e.g., a deck or engineering officer, a chef or entertainer or the GM or exec Concierge), which would help build brand loyalty),  she first repeats every product/service sale that Is already listed in the daily Currents and then often has the person selling the stuff as a guest -repeating what she just said - before she repeats it again.  And then, by the late afternoon, you've heard the same P.A. pitch - at least at noon and five. One can only hear so much about buying acupuncture and Bellari jewelry before it actually turns you off to the possibility.

I mention this because it is so uncharacteristic of our past and current experience with other Oceania CDs.

Fortunately, the new On Demand TV system provides other viewing options. And you can join the chorus of groans when her PA selling interrupts everything from cooking classes to port lectures. But, it's still sad not to have the "morning show" opportunity to learn more about the ship and its core personnel. 

😞 we are loyal HAL mariners and are finally switching over to O!! 2 big cruises coming up in March and April on Riviera and that is the last thing we need is a bunch of selling on TV and PA. That is HAL, but we will turn TV off! Maybe wear earplugs LOL!

Denise😊

• Like 1

We are scheduled to be on Riviera in January and sure hope she's not on at that time.  We experienced her on Regatta to Alaska and were totally turned off.   I sure wish someone at O would tell her to tone it down.

• Like 1

I thought we were the only ones that found her to be a bit over zealous.   We had her on one cruise last year and actually did comment at the end of the cruise review, that we found her annoyingly verbose, like an infomercial.   It tended to jolt you out of a peaceful mood, into a bolt upright shock!  Sad to say it Just seems more and more, O moving towards the mass mkt hawking of products and services onboard. Sad.   

• Like 1

Completely agree re: Dottie's inappropriate sales pitches and overly long announcements. She was on our last cruise and I complained about her announcements. Received a v. mail in my cabin from her saying that the announcements are required by corporate office and she "tries" to keep their length to a minimum. What a bunch of BS! Other CDs on Oceania are much more brief and do not promote sales and run a Carnival like marketing pitch each time they pick up the microphone. We were about to book a pre Thanksgiving cruise this year on Riviera. Poster on this board revealed Dottie's schedule which would have included that cruise. We are going with another cruise line primarily because of our dislike of Dottie and the inappropriate repetitive comedy performances of her husband Tom.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Plus one as we were, I believe, on the same Riviera cruise as the OP.  It was our first cruise with the infamous Dottie of whom many have raved.  Her incessant long-winded announcements four and five times a day were indeed very tiresome as she proceeded to read the schedule of daily activities line by line for the next few hours until her next broadcast in addition to the shameless promotion of every commercial activity on board.  If the green eyeshade types at NCL corporate are so concerned about the bottom line, they might want to consider eliminating the paper version of Currents and just have all the CDs yammer away.  Maybe that's what we can look forward to, given the response another poster received for their having complained about the frequency/quality of the use of the horn.

The shameless promotion 

• Like 1

I wonder if this is a more recent change.  (I don't mean last month by any means.)

We had Dottie as our CD on our Black Sea cruise in the summer of 2012 and we thought she was fabulous.  We certainly didn't hear these long announcements that people have complained about.

Since so many people here, at least, aren't happy with them you would think that TPTB would ask her to tone them down.  One of the benefits of an O cruise that we discovered from the outset (and the same was true of Renaissance before O came into existence) was indeed the LACK of unnecessary announcements.  At least they didn't broadcast them into the room.

Are people complaining about excessive announcements when they are in public areas?  Just asking!

Is Dottie the only one doing this?  If she is, I'd say it would definitely be appropriate for the higher-ups to tell her to tone them down.

We thought she was just great on our cruise.  That's the only time we were on board with her, and I have said that was 7 years ago.

Mura

2 hours ago, redraider1966 said:

Her incessant long-winded announcements four and five times a day were indeed very tiresome as she proceeded to read the schedule 

This is disappointing...hope she won't be on my next O cruise!

Neither Leslie Jon nor Ray Carr did any of this...they would give basic info at 9am, noon and 5pm. No merchandizing. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

This is disappointing...hope she won't be on my next O cruise!

Neither Leslie Jon nor Ray Carr did any of this...they would give basic info at 9am, noon and 5pm. No merchandizing. 

That’s how it should be!!

I agree I hope it won’t be like that on our cruise either

Denise😊

• Like 2

We had Dottie on our 2017 Holiday Mexican Riviera cruise onboard Sirena and did find her far too chatty on her long announcements that we dreaded when we heard her voice!  That said, we met her around the ship and she was very courteous and friendly.  However, would not want to cruise with her again -- Miami staff need to inform her to tone down her amount of infomercials and lengthy announcements.  Best CD's to date: Ray Carr and Leslie John - perhaps they can give her some advice!  Worst to date was on our British Isle cruise in August: John Clelford.  Crossing fingers we don't have either Dottie or John on our Feb cruise! O no longer states the CD in the Cruise Vacation Guide so we'll have to wait.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sny said:

We are scheduled to be on Riviera in January and sure hope she's not on at that time.  We experienced her on Regatta to Alaska and were totally turned off.   I sure wish someone at O would tell her to tone it down.

As a passenger, I have made multiple attempts on the two cruises I have been on with her. Complained in my survey; complained during cruise. I guess things will not change. 

• Like 1

Does Oceania have a 'shopping expert', the one who holds the information sessions in the theater encouraging you to visit certain recommended shops, and who then collects commission from said shops?  Maybe Dottie has taken over this position...EM

48 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Does Oceania have a 'shopping expert', the one who holds the information sessions in the theater encouraging you to visit certain recommended shops, and who then collects commission from said shops?  Maybe Dottie has taken over this position...EM

That would be unfortunate if what Dottie is doing is the route that Oceania is going to choose.

Any line that is incessantly trying to sell me something will not be one I stay with. Also in that type of environment buying anything would also be the last thing I do....I’m allergic to the hard sell😝

• Like 3

There  have been complaints  since  she 1st started with Oceania  so do not think it is something new

We have not sailed with her  (thank Goodness) 

Other CD's  we have had  have never been  chatty with the  announcements ..some do have a few more than others ..like announcing bingo  to start soon etc..

annoying yes but not over the top like  it seems Dottie  is

JMO

On 9/29/2019 at 9:52 AM, sitraveler said:

Another vote for Dottie.  I've never found the annoucements to be excessive.   The morning,  & noon reports are all I remember.

I've sailed with her many times and look forward to doing it again.

Don't know when you last sailed with Ms. Dottie, but on our aforementioned just-completed cruise from Reykjavik to NYC, her horn blasts occurred at least four/four times a day, if not more frequently, whether on sea days or port calls.  Noticeably absent from any of those "infomercials" during or after our call in Sydney, NS, where tendering was suspended almost two hours as not one, not two, not three, but four tenders were literally dead in the water at the same time, was an explanation as to the nature of the problem (fuel, electrical, software?), which particularly affected pax with private tours.  Sydney was originally listed as a docking port call and we were not informed of the change until we came on board.  I'd trade real information and transparency any day for the line-by-line recitations from Currents to which we were subjected.

• Like 4