Loyalty with Celebrity

Catpal128

9 hours ago, Cathy611 said:

I’m not on FB, but husband is. He came home this afternoon and said this woman was getting hammered on FB because Celebrity has cancelled her cruise. He was quoting from one of the Celebrity FB fan pages he is a member of. I thought, sounds familiar.

What are you looking for? At least people here have been kinder to you and were willing to help you.

You are not the first, nor will you be the last to have a cruise cancelled. I have as well. It took me half an hour to organise a new one with Celebrity and I didn’t complain to anyone.

As many have suggested, travel insurance is a wonderful thing and it would only cost you a few hundred dollars to change your flights.

I would guess that Celebrity is paying $200 (or actually cost) per person  for the OP to change or cancel their flights.  This is how Celebrity handled our flights when our cruise was cancelled.  I changed our flights, submitted a receipt, and received a check. I am left wondering if perhaps the OP misunderstood.  The cost of the flights are not really a factor as long as Celebrity pays the change/cancel fee.

I do sympathize with the OP.  Cancelling a cruise for a charter cruise only 7 months prior to a departure date is a poor business practice.  I am surprised that Celebrity is not being generous with the FCC.  Perhaps the OP received a FCC and just did not mention it.

I also agree with the OP that Loyalty means nothing in this kind of situation, nor should it IMO.  All cruisers affected should be compensation depending on the cost of their booking.

Edited by jagoffee

We have never understood this "loyalty" thing when it is applied to cruise lines, airlines, hotels, etc.  Loyalty is something that should be applied to relationships with people :).  When it comes to a cruise line our "loyalty" ends with the last cruise.  The RCI Corp (which includes RCI, Azamara and X) have been sticking it to customers with last minute charters, large group bookings, etc.  I can recall getting shafted by, then. RCCL, several decades ago when they quietly reserved half a large ship for a religious group that literally took over the ship, harassed other cruisers, prevented cruisers from using many of the public venues, etc.  Having an entire ship taken out of inventory less then 330 days prior to the cruise should always be a no-no.  In fact, as much as we dislike government involvement in the travel industry we think that cruise lines should be required (by law) to fully compensate anyone who loses money as the result of being bumped due to Charters or Large Group Bookings.

Hank

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I agree. I would go a step further and say that the charters should have to be firmed up before the cruises are even released to the public, but finalizing them no later than 12 months from date of embarkation should be the minimum amount of time.

I agree 100% with your statement!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

If the cruise line itself offers nonrefundable deposits, they're setting a poor example, should this be the excuse.  If they can cancel at 7 months out, they can cancel at 6, or other points thereafter.  Perhaps they need to give a greenlight when the cruise is officially on.

When all passengers pay a non-refundable non-discounted fare and ships are fully sold to capacity, charters will end.

Only when passengers have no ability to cancel without 100% penalty will the likelyhood of cancellation by the cruiseline for charter be a rarety.

52 minutes ago, StolidCruiser said:

When all passengers pay a non-refundable non-discounted fare and ships are fully sold to capacity, charters will end.

Only when passengers have no ability to cancel without 100% penalty will the likelyhood of cancellation by the cruiseline for charter be a rarety.

No I think you have it wrong.  Even if everyone had a non-refundable deposit they would simply offer to transfer it to a different cruise or, if that is rejected, refund the non-refundable deposit!  If Celebrity thinks they can make more money with the charter then they don't give a hoot about those who have booked, planned vacations, etc.  In their management Suite it seems to be a "me me me" attitude with the "Me" being Celebrity.  Passengers are simply sheep that can be used, abused, or sent to the slaughter.  OMG.  Do I sound cynical.  In fairness to Celebrity they are not the only cruise line to think this way.  Folks need to accept that cruise lines are business's and in the USA a Corporation is all about the bottom line for the current quarter!  "If we tick off our customers no need to worry....we will find a way to attract others."

Hank

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

We too thank the cruise industry, particularly Celebrity and Oceania, with their continuously downgraded product not matching their advertising, for introducing us to the engaging world of land vacations.

Time is precious and it is slipping away, open your eyes to the variety of travel options out there besides cruising - get the very most of your travel.

Time is precious.

When doing a land tour there are no restrictions,  do whatever you want within the law or not if you think you can get away with it 😱

We don’t have to be concerned about getting back to the ship on time,  getting off the ship, dressing properly,  taking something that is not permitted on the ship such as something to drink in your room.  Paying a ridiculous amount for a bottle of water.   We buy a whole case at Costco for the price of one bottle on board and often times pass a few to other travelers.   

We go to nice places with happy hours for dinner,  have a few nice quality drinks later at a place that has the entertainment that we like and has the liquor that we want and not be limited brands that X carries.  With  the cost of food , beverages, lodging and etc it is a fraction per day of what a cruise is and is really more relaxing.   No rules. No restrictions.

Internet is also provided and many times  a full daily paper instead of the one page that X has eliminated. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅🤨

I’m just wondering how well a cruise on May 23rd out of Fort Lauderdale was selling and at what price.  Let’s face it the weather will be uncomfortably hot and the Caribbean hotter.  If X was selling this cruise at real cheap rates and a charter came along guaranteeing a full ship at much higher fares it probably was a smart business decision.

I feel sorry for the OP, but this has happen to us many times and across a number of cruise lines, we just move on.  It’s a bit unbelievable that X hasn’t offered a FC CREDIT.

Look at the roll-call for this cruise, 21 posts and nothing from the OP about the cancellation or anyone else.

Edited by Oville

6 hours ago, StolidCruiser said:

Brilliant idea, which is basically setting up our own charter in a mass booking effort, and bribing LLP not to hand it off.  Got any sailings 12 - 24 months out that you've already worked out a special non-refundable non-discounted fare for?  We need a special promo code, AXECHARTER.

2 hours ago, Oville said:

but this has happen to us many times and across a number of cruise lines, we just move on

This has happened to you many times, on different lines, with only 7 months until sailing 🤔?

Edited by villauk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Oville said:

I’m just wondering how well a cruise on May 23rd out of Fort Lauderdale was selling and at what price. ...  If X was selling this cruise at real cheap rates and a charter came along guaranteeing a full ship at much higher fares it probably was a smart business decision.

.... X hasn’t offered a FC CREDIT [?] ..

Also curious. As a matter of record, has it been said that X/a cruise line only takes on a charter if less than 60% of cabins have been booked?

In any event, still very inconvenient for anyone who has booked deserving of some compensation.. 

Edited by dutchclogs

I really feel for the poster.
If our cruise was cancelled I'd be furious.

We are flying from England, our flights are non refundable or transferable and cost £1400 each ($1680. each)
Hotels are booked for pre- and post cruise.

As well as having to book the time off from work nearly a year in advance.  

Until reading about it on this board, I'd never heard that cruises get cancelled for charters!

8 minutes ago, zeberdee said:

I really feel for the poster.
If our cruise was cancelled I'd be furious.

We are flying from England, our flights are non refundable or transferable and cost £1400 each ($1680. each)
Hotels are booked for pre- and post cruise.

As well as having to book the time off from work nearly a year in advance.  

Until reading about it on this board, I'd never heard that cruises get cancelled for charters!

It used to happen virtually every summer in the Med on Equinox before she was repositioned permanently to the Caribbean for the summer. The Atlantis group would charter the ship yearly.

We had two cruises in 2015 that were cancelled, one due to a charter.  Both were Japan cruises.  Charters were for Chinese.

Both times we had great terms for picking another cruise and compensation for air cancellations or rebooking.

Suggest you call and ask for compensation.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Oville said:

I’m just wondering how well a cruise on May 23rd out of Fort Lauderdale was selling and at what price.  Let’s face it the weather will be uncomfortably hot and the Caribbean hotter.  If X was selling this cruise at real cheap rates and a charter came along guaranteeing a full ship at much higher fares it probably was a smart business decision.

I feel sorry for the OP, but this has happen to us many times and across a number of cruise lines, we just move on.  It’s a bit unbelievable that X hasn’t offered a FC CREDIT.

Look at the roll-call for this cruise, 21 posts and nothing from the OP about the cancellation or anyone else.

I am also surprised that there is not discussion on the roll call related to FCC.  The assumption that a FCC was not given may be incorrect as it was not mentioned.

Does anyone know the length of the cancelled cruise?

3 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I am also surprised that there is not discussion on the roll call related to FCC.  The assumption that a FCC was not given may be incorrect as it was not mentioned.

I read last night on another social media page that 3 other cruises were offered with fare protection as well as the $200 flight change  fee and I believe an OBC.

Edited by Oville
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Oville said:

I read last night on another social media page that 3 other cruises were offered with fare protection as well as the $200 flight change  fee and I believe an OBC.

I don't have knowledge of this particular sailing charter, but from one who has had X charter 4 cruises on us, this is usually how it works.  We've always been given a choice of other sailings with price protection of the the same cabin category as well as OBC.  If you choose not to go with one of the price protected options, you still receive the OBC.  

Also a little surprised with the OP.  They state they are Elite Plus (only 3 posts), but will never sail Celebrity again due to the Charter and their Elite+ status.  We are only Elite.  Almost Elite Plus and have had 4 sailings chartered on us.  We still sail Celebrity.  It happens.  No surprise.  We know this.  I'm surprised the OP doesn't???  I know it's upsetting and a disappointment, but it does happen.  

Edited by Want2Cruise 701

38 minutes ago, Want2Cruise 701 said:

I don't have knowledge of this particular sailing charter, but from one who has had X charter 4 cruises on us, this is usually how it works.  We've always been given a choice of other sailings with price protection of the the same cabin category as well as OBC.  If you choose not to go with one of the price protected options, you still receive the OBC.  

Also a little surprised with the OP.  They state they are Elite Plus (only 3 posts), but will never sail Celebrity again due to the Charter and their Elite+ status.  We are only Elite.  Almost Elite Plus and have had 4 sailings chartered on us.  We still sail Celebrity.  It happens.  No surprise.  We know this.  I'm surprised the OP doesn't???  I know it's upsetting and a disappointment, but it does happen.  

We are still relative newbies on X.  Although Elite Plus we only have 18 cruises (some of them several weeks long) and just over 1000 points.  That being said, we have never had a Celebrity cruise cancelled on us because of a Charter.  We have had problems with large groups, but never a cancellation.  The reality of Charters are they are normally relegated to shorter cruises (usually 7 days sometimes slightly longer) so we try to avoid those cruises and book nothing less then 14 (we prefer 28 day+).  I just post this to make the point that to us, having spent over 1400 days on cruises (of many lines)..having a cruise cancelled because of a charter is not normal and does not usually "happen."

Would we be upset!  More then upset.  When we take long cruises (which usually involve embarkation in foreign lands) we generally book expensive International Business Class Air.  Sometimes it is through the cruise line and other times we do better on our own.  Our air reservations are generally made more then 300 days before a cruise.  So if a cruise is cancelled for ridiculous self-serving reasons (i.e. Charter) I would be livid!   And given that there seems to be some pattern or abuse of their customers (you said it happened to you 4 times) perhaps it will take a big class action law suit to settle the matter.  I do recall that it took a class action suit to knock the cruise lines into line when it came to the abuse of port charges.  It can happen again.

Over the years there has been some talk about a "passenger bill or rights" that could be worked out between some consumer groups and the CLIA (and their member lines).  One of the "rights" would be that cruise lines would have to fully compensate any costs incurred by customers who, in good faith, booked air or non-refundable accommodations within 330 days of a cruise.  I personally believe that if such cancellations happen for voluntary reasons (such as a Charter or rescheduled routine dry dock) that the cruise line should also be required to pay a penalty to all who had booked that cruise.  My strong suspicion is that Charters or large Group Bookings (which force cancellations) would no longer happen within a year of a sailing.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jagoffee said:

8 nights. Our party of  3 suites and 7 friends.  We are all still steamed regarding this cancellation.

Life will go on but we still don't like what happened!

As I said before, both our Celebrity cancellations resulted in great cruises and good benefits that actually made our cruises cheaper because of benefits.

On a Royal Caribbean cruise, we had a cancellation 3 days prior to the cruise (New Zealand) and we had our cruise payment refunded AND a credit for the same amount that we used on another cruise.   Also, had we had to reschedule air travel that would have been covered.

I would be amazed if Celebrity didn't fully compensate on such a cancellation.

I do think the seven months out is the worrying part of this....

Many of us book cruises early and then plan full (longer) holidays around them. By seven months out we are often committed to flights, villa hire, hotel bookings, business and family commitments....

We have previously felt safe booking things about 10 months pre cruise....beginning to rethink.

• Like 1

Celebrity did that to us too in 2002, we were fuming and didn't sail with them again until this year, that's 17 years that Celebrity lost our business. Down through the years we have felt some loyalty to HAL and Princess but with all the cutbacks from the lines our loyalty is gone, the line that gives us the best deal gets our business.