West Coast Cruise

I agree that the airport is not a nice place to stay, unless you are going to Candlestick (I know, they changed the name, but I'm old-fashioned).  The Wharf (I'd go to the Best Western Plus Tuscan) or Union Square area (the Intercontinental, the St. Frances, the Handlery, the Marriot, the Sir Francis Drake are all somewhat reasonable) are much nicer for a tourist.

On 10/6/2019 at 11:56 AM, lazycruzer said:

About 15 minutes. Depends on traffic.  Cruise days traffic as well as Sunday tourist/local traffic can be frustrating and busy.

Your hotel should be able to make suggestions about times and any construction or streets to avoid.

It takes me 25 minutes to get to Pier 27 and I am right off highway 101, 10 minutes drive north of the Airport.

If you stay by the airport it would take 35 minutes to get to Pier 27 by taxi, etc..

On 10/6/2019 at 8:46 AM, Cruzin with BQ & CQ said:

Thanks so much for the info and suggestions. We are planning to spend two days post cruise in San Francisco. We are planning to stay at the Mark Hopkins which is a short cable car ride to the wharf. The one thing we also want to do is go to Muir Woods. Still trying to figure that out at this point. Thanks again.

Look at https://www.nps.gov/muwo/planyourvisit/index.htm for information on entrance fees and how to get to Muir Woods.

There is a shuttle bus from Sausalito https://www.nps.gov/muwo/planyourvisit/directions.htm. A ferry from San Francisco to Sausalito and back would make a nice outing.

On 10/7/2019 at 4:30 PM, Mike45LC said:

I agree that the airport is not a nice place to stay, unless you are going to Candlestick (I know, they changed the name, but I'm old-fashioned).  The Wharf (I'd go to the Best Western Plus Tuscan) or Union Square area (the Intercontinental, the St. Frances, the Handlery, the Marriot, the Sir Francis Drake are all somewhat reasonable) are much nicer for a tourist.

You are not old fashioned but you are long out of date. Candlestick no longer exists.  It was torn down a few years ago

Thanks so much for the info and suggestions. We are planning to spend two days post cruise in San Francisco. We are planning to stay at the Mark Hopkins which is a short cable car ride to the wharf. The one thing we also want to do is go to Muir Woods. Still trying to figure that out at this point. Thanks again.

Sigh...had my prom at Mark Hopkins...almost half a century ago...😊

Some random thoughts:

* If you have luggages, it may be difficult to ride the cable car after your cruise.

* Agree with everyone, best to stay near the cruise terminal before the cruise.  Traffic at the Embarcadero is horrendous...passengers disembarking and embarking. It's a popular area...so much to see...flat and easy walking.  Yes, all other parts of SF is hilly...the hill at Mark Hopkins is not bad...unless you have mobility problems of course.

* Best way to get around is by Uber.

(Hyatt Regency is about a mile away...but can be a bit expensive.)

* Bring a sweater...it gets cold around Fisherman's Wharf in the evening...then just layer as needed.

* Sailing under the Golden Gate bridge is magical...breathtaking when the fog is rolling in...yes, top deck is the place to be on the Star.

Are you going to rent a car and drive to Muir Woods? (See other responses)

If you rent a car, here's a spectacular route: Drive towards Marina Greens, then through the Presidio, use Lincoln Blvd, drive through Sea Cliff and see multi-million dollar homes, continue west towards the Legion of Honor, drive through the Lincoln Park golf course, make your way to Geary Street and continue west to the Cliff House...to your left will be the beach (Pacific Ocean), drive down on Great Highway, turn left into Golden Gate Park...when you leave the park, you can stop at Haight/Ashbury District (Anyone still remember hippies?)...from there, get back on Geary Street and stop at Japan Town....and before heading back to your hotel at the Mark Hopkins....be sure to visit Coit Tower and Chinatown......please make sure to stop along the way on this route...it could easily be a full but beautiful and scenic day.  Happy Sailing! 😊

• Like 1

We are planning to stay at the Mark Hopkins which is a short cable car ride to the wharf.

Great choice. Honestly?  San Franciscans never or rarely go to Fisherman's Wharf.  It's totally tourists.  There are a gazillion things to do and see.  Golden Gate Park, Golden Gate Bridge, so many, many things.  Promise me you won't go to Fisherman's Wharf 🙂  LOL.

As suggested Muir Woods would be a fantastic outing.  If on a busy day the overflow parking along the street can be a very long walk.  If you rent a car to get over there, you could also do a stop by Sausalito.  Or, take a ferry from the Ferry Building (what else) in SF to Sausalito.   Wine country (Napa County) is also a terrific day if you have the time.   

I worked in SF every day for many years.  Sadly, in my opinion SF proper has declined as a place that is enjoyable to visit. Fortunately, there are many wonderful places very near by.  

Enjoy

• Like 1

Most of the information here about Muir Woods is out of date.  You now need to reserve parking.  It is limited.  There is off site parking and shuttles.

Check out the web page, I've attached the link.

Personally, my favorite way would be to ride the Ferry to Sausalito and take the shuttle from there.  Get your tickets in advance.

It will be a full day though.  Sausalito is touristy but fun to walk around while waiting for the return ferry.

I don't know from experience, but I have read horror stories about crossing the Golden Gate Bridge in a rental car.  You no longer stop to pay the toll.  You drive right through, they take a picture of the license plate and bill the registered owner.  I've read about exorbitant "administration" fees by the rental car companies.  There are ways to pay the toll ahead of time, I've attached a link.  Again, I recommend taking a nice relaxing ride on the Ferry and shuttle.

Take a coat, it will be cool on the Bay and in Muir Woods.

If you do ride the Cable Car, don't miss the Cable Car Museum.  It is the driving mechanism for all of the Cable Cars, they all go right by.  Ask the "Gripman" (driver) where the stop is.  This is my favorite thing to do in San Francisco.

If you do stay at the Mark Hopkins, go up to the Top of the Mark at sunset, buy one overpriced drink (My wife and I go annually for our Anniversary and splurge for two drinks and two appetizers) to watch the sun set, and The City come to life as the lights start coming on.

Top of the Mark

https://www.topofthemark.com/

Ferry Information

https://www.blueandgoldfleet.com/ferry/sausalito/

Muir Woods

https://www.nps.gov/muwo/index.htm

Here is the scoop on one time payment of the Golden Gate Bridge toll.

http://goldengate.org/tolls/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2 cruises a year said:

Most of the information here about Muir Woods is out of date.  You now need to reserve parking.  It is limited.  There is off site parking and shuttles.

Muir Woods:  Did they finally outlaw parking along the street outside of the entrance?  

I agree with your advice to go by ferry via Sausalito.  That would actually be a fantastic day trip.  

17 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Muir Woods:  Did they finally outlaw parking along the street outside of the entrance?  

I agree with your advice to go by ferry via Sausalito.  That would actually be a fantastic day trip.  

I thought that they had, but I just "drove around" via Google Maps and I see that there is parking along the road, but I saw a bunch of orange cones, what looked like an attendant, and a sign saying permit parking only.  So I guess that they are reserved also.  But as you (Idubs) said, it can be a long walk.  My wife has a handicap parking placard.  The day we wanted to go, parking was sold out, I was just about to check on Sausalito and the shuttle when I discovered that there was still handicap parking available.  So to the OP, if you have a handicap placard, bring it along.

Idubs and I agree, make it a nice Bay Cruise, let the shuttle driver manage the narrow winding road, shop in Sausalito, and have a nice overpriced drink at sunset at the Top of the Mark.

Also in Sausalito, EVERYONE, the Ferry people, the shuttle driver especially, will recommend "Hamburgers", that is the name, it is very good, you will not be disappointed.

• Thanks 1

The Mark Hopkins:  my mom, grandma and I stayed there back in 1968...  My sophomore year in College, I went with friend to The City - stayed at a friend's house, but we went up to Nob Hill to have dinner at The Tonga Room in The Fairmont Hotel, across the street from the Mark Hopkins.  A "Polynesian" place that had a floating barge with music and hula dancers in the middle of the place.  It's still there!!

San Francisco is one of my favorite walking cities.  Yes, lots of hills, but that is part of the charm.  Union Square up to Chinatown, down to Little Italy and down to Embarcadero, across the Embarcadero, back up to Union Square was my usual walk when I stay at the Westin St. Francis.  

If you want to visit Muir Woods, this is one of the very, very few times where I'd say "take a tour."  

I always make a long stop in the Ferry Building!  Hog Island Oysters, Cowgirl Creamery, Acme Bakery, the wine shop - I always eat a bunch of oysters there, then buy some cheese, bread and wine to take on board for my snacks!!!

I'll say the same about staying out near SFO.  I stayed there a few times when I was visiting old Sun Microsystems and Cisco Systems when they were out near Shoreline Amphitheater.  Other than a great place to do some plane watching and a good dim sum place up on the hill in San Bruno, nothing of worth out there.  Take the time to go into The City and get a hotel, be it The Mark Hopkins, a hotel in Union Square (my choice), or down by Fisherman's Wharf (my least favorite).  

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Little Italy

Just a tweak.  It's actually North Beach.

We moved away about 20 years ago but still visit and I still love it.  When we return from our S. America cruise we're going to spend a couple of nights at the new Yotel on Market.  We stayed at the one in Gatwick and it was super for a seven hour layover.  This one will put us right at everything for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

https://www.yotel.com/en/hotels/yotel-san-francisco

39 minutes ago, clo said:

We moved away about 20 years ago but still visit and I still love it.  When we return from our S. America cruise we're going to spend a couple of nights at the new Yotel on Market.  We stayed at the one in Gatwick and it was super for a seven hour layover.  This one will put us right at everything for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

You're right about North Beach.  But, that one section of Columbus has always been "Little Italy" to me!

Have you stayed at that Hotel in The City before?  It looks perfect for me as a solo traveler.  We have a Yotel PAD project being built up here.  Mini condos about 335sq to 1050 sq, starting at $300,000 that you can live in or put in the rental pool,  

55 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Have you stayed at that Hotel in The City before?

No, but I know that area well cause I used to work at Union Square.  It's at Market and 7th and Nordstrom is at 5th 🙂  A number of tech companies have moved in there and changed the 'flavor' of the nabe.  The one we stayed at is actually IN Gatwick, inside security.  And you rent by the hour - lol - with a minimum IIRC of four hours.  After a red-eye from Oakland and heading on to Norway it was glorious.

11 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I hope it has changed drastically.  Before it was a horrible pit. I had the misfortune of being in an office at 7th & market for about 5 years.  Admittedly that was a long time ago.    

It's changed a lot and will continue to.  This article seems pretty balanced.  I moved there while still in my 20s and formed a personal safety motto which continues to hold me in good stead:  Don't be where you shouldn't be when you shouldn't be there.

https://sf.curbed.com/2018/9/19/17861316/midmarket-neighborhood-development-mission

I hope so.  I think the guy responsible for moving our office there was glad that public floggings were illegal.  I don't want to waste time on details but it was a horrible atmosphere for our employees.    Frankly, I wouldn't go back there for a visit just because of bad memories. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Frankly, I wouldn't go back there for a visit just because of bad memories. 

I can understand that.  For several years I rode the J-Church to the Powell St. station so I was in the area (but not really) every day.  But it's better and will get even better.  And for cruisers who will be there in day time it's going to be fine.

I was born in SF, worked there for 30 years, September and October the best months to visit, more like summer weather during the day time, i.e., 75 degrees (a SF summer, not like Florida)  bring light jackets.. night time cools off.   Mark Hopkins is a great place to stay, you can take the cable car up and down the hill on California street... great view at the Top of Mark Bar on top of the hotel.   Chinatown is a few blocks down the hill on California and Clay Street,  there is a small Wells Fargo museum on Mongtomery  St near Chinatown.    Also at the foot of California street is one of my favorite places to eat, The Tadish Grill,  no reservations, use to be only cash, no credit cards...I have not been there in years... there many newer and fancier places but  this is an historic old SF place.    SF is a small city - easy to get around... hope you enjoy it.  You may check youtube videos to get a feel for the many places you can visit.  Enjoy your cruise and time in SF. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 2:39 PM, clo said:

On 10/13/2019 at 3:26 PM, slidergirl said:

You're right about North Beach.  But, that one section of Columbus has always been "Little Italy" to me!

Have you stayed at that Hotel in The City before?  It looks perfect for me as a solo traveler.  We have a Yotel PAD project being built up here.  Mini condos about 335sq to 1050 sq, starting at $300,000 that you can live in or put in the rental pool,  

On 10/13/2019 at 4:26 PM, clo said:

No, but I know that area well cause I used to work at Union Square.  It's at Market and 7th and Nordstrom is at 5th 🙂  A number of tech companies have moved in there and changed the 'flavor' of the nabe.  The one we stayed at is actually IN Gatwick, inside security.  And you rent by the hour - lol - with a minimum IIRC of four hours.  After a red-eye from Oakland and heading on to Norway it was glorious.

I've tried to stay out of this conversation about the Yotel.  But I can't any longer.

I think that staying there is a bad idea for a lot of reasons.  Some will not agree with some of those reasons.

I live in, and love San Francisco, and hate to hear people bad mouth it, and I appreciate clo's positive attitude, but this neighborhood is just not where I would recommend staying.

In the attached article, the Grant Building you see in the background is the Yotel.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/Man-shot-dead-outside-hotel-in-San-Francisco-s-14521524.php

2 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

I've tried to stay out of this conversation about the Yotel.  But I can't any longer.

I think that staying there is a bad idea for a lot of reasons.  Some will not agree with some of those reasons.

I live in, and love San Francisco, and hate to hear people bad mouth it, and I appreciate clo's positive attitude, but this neighborhood is just not where I would recommend staying.

In the attached article, the Grant Building you see in the background is the Yotel.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/Man-shot-dead-outside-hotel-in-San-Francisco-s-14521524.php

I'm going to agree with you because what we're comfortable doing isn't the norm.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

the Grant building isn't the Yotel - Yotel is a darker brick building, not a white one.    The SRO in the newspaper article is 1/3 of a mile away from the location of the Motel.   Plus, I thought Market was the 'dividing line' between The Tenderloin and SOMA...

When I did a paper for my Social Geography class back in college, I did it on the difference of neighborhoods within a 1/2 mile area of downtown Los Angeles.  One block would be SROs and homeless, 2 blocks over was courts and businesses, 3 blocks over the flower mart and such.