2021 Cruise recommendation

DarrenM

OK, so this is the first question I have asked.

Next year we are doing the Med again. This time going further round and up to Venice.

The year after I would like to try something a little different.

The only stipulations are that my wife loves the sun. And sunbathing on sea days.

She really wouldnt fancy somewhere cold.

I have done a western Caribbean cruise 18 years ago, and really enjoyed it. But it didnt have destinations quite like Monte Carlo or Naples, Rome etc.

would be looking fr 10-11 day cruise.

Sell it to me people.

Well the Caribbean and the Mediterranean are completely different types of ports of call and cruise experiences, and are night and day from each other.  That being said, they can both be enjoyed equally as well but for completely different reasons.  Their peak cruise seasons are opposite as well - Mediterranean in the summer, Caribbean in the winter. You just have to recognize that and set your cruise expectations accordingly.

But if you are looking for a hot climate to satisfy your wife's expectations and want to do something different than your more recent Mediterranean cruise, I would suggest the Caribbean in the winter.  IMO I would look at itineraries that included the ABC'S (Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire) and with 11 or so days in mind, an "exotic" Caribbean that would include some of the Western Caribbean (Barbados, St, Lucia, etc.) would provide a nice sampling of the tropical Caribbean destinations for a variety of port of call experience.

A number of years ago we did a 10 night that included the ABC's, Cartegena, Columbia, the Panama Canal and Jamaica, that was among one of our favorites.

Most of the longer itineraries depart out of Florida, so it would be relatively easy to travel from the UK there.  Some leave out of San Juan, PR, which would likely require a connection from FL for you to reach.

Clearly there would be others as well that could include (depending on time of year) the southern Pacific regions and Australia, etc.  I'm just offering the Caribbean as one to consider. Maybe contact a travel agent for a discussion of your expectations and different alternatives for consideration.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

20 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Next year we are doing the Med again. This time going further round and up to Venice.

The only stipulations are that my wife loves the sun. And sunbathing on sea days.

I have done a western Caribbean cruise 18 years ago, and really enjoyed it. But it didnt have destinations quite like Monte Carlo or Naples, Rome etc.

Sell it to me people.

No need to "sell it."

Head to French Polynesia. Flight costs have come down since United entered that market. And some cruise lines (e.g., Oceania) include air tix.

IMO, however, you should consider a longer cruise 18+\- days and do a Polynesia cruise from South America (e.g., Valparaiso/San Antonio). With the right itinerary, you could visit Easter Island, Pitcairn (Mutiny on the Bounty), Robinson Crusoe Island, Bora Bora, et al. and still have plenty of sea days to soak up the sun. 

22 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Well the Caribbean and the Mediterranean are completely different types of ports of call and cruise experiences, and are night and day from each other.  That being said, they can both be enjoyed equally as well but for completely different reasons.  Their peak cruise seasons are opposite as well - Mediterranean in the summer, Caribbean in the winter. You just have to recognize that and set your cruise expectations accordingly.

But if you are looking for a hot climate to satisfy your wife's expectations and want to do something different than your more recent Mediterranean cruise, I would suggest the Caribbean in the winter.  IMO I would look at itineraries that included the ABC'S (Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire) and with 11 or so days in mind, an "exotic" Caribbean that would include some of the Western Caribbean (Barbados, St, Lucia, etc.) would provide a nice sampling of the tropical Caribbean destinations for a variety of port of call experience.

A number of years ago we did a 10 night that included the ABC's, Cartegena, Columbia, the Panama Canal and Jamaica, that was among one of our favorites.

Most of the longer itineraries depart out of Florida, so it would be relatively easy to travel from the UK there.  Some leave out of San Juan, PR, which would likely require a connection from FL for you to reach.

Clearly there would be others as well that could include (depending on time of year) the southern Pacific regions and Australia, etc.  I'm just offering the Caribbean as one to consider. Maybe contact a travel agent for a discussion of your expectations and different alternatives for consideration.

That does sound appealing. It really does.

11 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No need to "sell it."

Head to French Polynesia. Flight costs have come down since United entered that market. And some cruise lines (e.g., Oceania) include air tix.

IMO, however, you should consider a longer cruise 18+\- days and do a Polynesia cruise from South America (e.g., Valparaiso/San Antonio). With the right itinerary, you could visit Easter Island, Pitcairn (Mutiny on the Bounty), Robinson Crusoe Island, Bora Bora, et al. and still have plenty of sea days to soak up the sun. 

That also sounds brilliant. 18 days probably too long though as it means taking almost 3 weeks off work.

9 minutes ago, ducklite said:

Consider a cruise that starts in Greece with port calls in Israel and Egypt.

Weirdly, you have named three places there that I would never have considered.

Greece because my wife just doesnt fancy it. We have done greek island holidays in the past.

Israel and Egypt because I consider them unstable. Probably wrong but its just my perception.

I bet its incredible though all the same.

2 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Sell it to me people.

You might think of a Panama Canal cruise -HAL’s Zuiderdam does a half-way through one, with stops in Aruba, Curaçao and Cartagena, et al — I believe about 11 days out of Fort Lauderdale - plenty warm, and it is interesting to see the 1914 technology functioning exactly as built.

Darren, have a look at Marella's package holidays out of Newcastle airport- they fly you to various ports in the Med, such as Dubrovnik,  Palma, Naples and you can choose 7 or 14 nights. There's also cruise/stay, so you can have a week in a hotel, or just a few days before or after, depending on their flights.  Older ships, but all inclusive.

We've only done one with them, when they were still Thomson, but the shuttles, including to/from the hotel before the cruise, and all other arrangements, were seamless.

23 minutes ago, jocap said:

Darren, have a look at Marella's package holidays out of Newcastle airport- they fly you to various ports in the Med, such as Dubrovnik,  Palma, Naples and you can choose 7 or 14 nights. There's also cruise/stay, so you can have a week in a hotel, or just a few days before or after, depending on their flights.  Older ships, but all inclusive.

We've only done one with them, when they were still Thomson, but the shuttles, including to/from the hotel before the cruise, and all other arrangements, were seamless.

Would agree. And none of the formal nites you so abhor u can wear what u like on Marella. 😜

On 10/11/2019 at 8:04 PM, jocap said:

Cheers jocap.will look into this.

Darren, to be sure of good weather, look at P&O cruises out of Dubai.

Also, what time of year are you planning to travel ? Makes a difference to possible suggestions.

Edited by wowzz

My mind  also went straight to the 10-11 night round trip itinerary from Fort Lauderdale on either Princess or Holland America that includes Panama (with a partial canal transit), Costa Rica, Colombia, and a beach stop or two in Grand Cayman, Jamaica or Mexico. 

49 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Darren, to be sure of good weather, look at P&O cruises out of Dubai.

Also, what time of year are you planning to travel ? Makes a difference to possible suggestions.

Wife likes a summer break so was thinking june maybe July. But long before those horrible little creatures finish school.

28 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Wife likes a summer break so was thinking june maybe July. But long before those horrible little creatures finish school.

With that time of year, I would look at Europe or the Middle  East (Dubai, as I previously suggested).

No point flying halfway round the world to the Caribbean at that time of year, and it also makes no sense from the cost point of view, plus the jet lag. 

I'd look at cruises out of Malta or Dubai. TUI is a possibility (I'm not keen myself)  as is P&O - both have the advantage of having no autotips and using sterling. TUI are all inclusive, but tend to be pricier as a result. Then you obviously have the US lines. I like Celebrity and Princess, but it all depends on your budget.

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

In that case, the answer is easy - another Celebrity cruise in the Mediterranean. 

Hahaha

I know I said I was a creature of habit, but not sure how many others ports we can visit after 21 days.

I suppose there are variations on a theme, so maybe it will be the med again.

Dont want to go into the atlantic as I am not sure of my sea legs. Like it nice and calm.

8 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Hahaha

I know I said I was a creature of habit, but not sure how many others ports we can visit after 21 days.

I suppose there are variations on a theme, so maybe it will be the med again.

Dont want to go into the atlantic as I am not sure of my sea legs. Like it nice and calm.

You could look at a cruise around the Canaries. I wouldn't worry about the Atlantic - the Mediterranean can be every bit as rough.

1 hour ago, Slugsta said:

We have just returned from a round-trip Southampton/Canada and the sea was calmer than when crossing the BoB, so rough seas are not a given.

Sorry to hijack Darren's thread, but can you tell me what you thought of the ports you visited. We are considering this cruise, but have read conflicting views on the "quality" of the ports [end of season, businesses shut up, not much to see etc]