Best Food Worst Food

Airbear232

1 hour ago, George C said:

Agree in general for ethnic food , but I take Texas BBQ over NY . Also doubt Mexican can equal our Tex-mex . But food is a big part of our annual nyc vacation. My wife is not Italian but again nobody is perfect but loves Italian food. 

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

In 2006 I went to visit a friend in Houston and we went to a Tex-mex that was better than any I have been to in NYC.For some reason,over the past few years a lot of BBQ restaurants have been opening in my part of Long Island.I went to a few but they were not as good as the ones I went to in Houston.

Texas is #1 for BBQ in my book.  It's one thing I miss about living in the south.  

16 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Texas is #1 for BBQ in my book.  It's one thing I miss about living in the south.  

Ah, but then there are the Carolinas.

So you're in Seattle?  One of my fave food cities.

8 hours ago, clo said:

Ah, but then there are the Carolinas.

So you're in Seattle?  One of my fave food cities.

After eating fresh seafood most of my life in the Keys and then 3 years of New Orleans cooking, I'm finding food pretty bland up here.  

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

After eating fresh seafood most of my life in the Keys and then 3 years of New Orleans cooking, I'm finding food pretty bland up here.  

Not us and we're there multiple times a year.  (Daughter and her family are there.)  And LOADS of fresh seafood.

3 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Love the food in New Orleans , have not been there in a decade or so , need to plan a weekend trip. I thought it was cool that we went to some of the same restaurants my father went to when he was stationed in area in WW 2, like Antoine’s and Court of two sisters.

Edited by George C

2 hours ago, clo said:

Not us and we're there multiple times a year.  (Daughter and her family are there.)  And LOADS of fresh seafood.

Most tourists do like Seattle food. But I’ve had far better. The PNW can’t touch South Florida seafood, or the Northeast or Alaska for that matter. 

Edited by Cruzaholic41

4 hours ago, George C said:

Love the food in New Orleans , have not been there in a decade or so , need to plan a weekend trip. I thought it was cool that we went to some of the same restaurants my father went to when he was stationed in area in WW 2, like Antoine’s and Court of two sisters.

Oh man, Antoine's.  Great, classic, New Orleans food.  You're making my mouth water.

3 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Most tourists do like Seattle food. But I’ve had far better. The PNW can’t touch South Florida seafood, or the Northeast or Alaska for that matter. 

Totally agree.  The Bahamian and Cuban influenced seasoning on fresh-off-the-boat Mahi, Grouper, Hogfish.....

I need to stop.  I miss it too much.  :classic_unsure:

6 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Considering that our daughter went to undergrad at UDub and is now 42 and we visit four to six times a year for a couple of weeks each we hardly consider ourselves tourists.  But you shouldn't expect great Cajun or Creole in a place that has few people from there.  For instance we find little/no really good Mexican. But Asian?  O my yes.  Our fave dim sum is Jade Dragon in the ID.  And Vietnamese, Thai, etc.  And surprisingly some of the best BBQ we've ever had - and I'm from the South - is at Drunky Two Shoes in Seattle.  Seafood?  We love the oysters at Taylor Seafood and they gave us a taste of geoduck which I'd not had before.  And on and on.  We've gotten to the point that we can barely try new places any more because we have so many faves.

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Seattle had the very first Starbucks

Yep.  And people still stand in line to get in there even though there's better coffee around.  Or so I've been told.  I'm not a connoisseur.

8 minutes ago, clo said:

Yep.  And people still stand in line to get in there even though there's better coffee around.  Or so I've been told.  I'm not a connoisseur.

My wife and I were at the very first Starbucks,very first Baskin Robbins and very first Johnny Rockets.Merely coincidence.We had no idea that they were opening.

10 minutes ago, clo said:

You have posted numerous times that you are a foodie.A friend of mine developed the first all natural Gelato.Currently it is only available in Northern California.It is called Genuto,you can google it if you wish.

8 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My wife and I were at the very first Starbucks,very first Baskin Robbins and very first Johnny Rockets.Merely coincidence.We had no idea that they were opening.

I was just telling Bob the other day that I'm so glad that we no longer have to eat/drink at any chain places.  We can and do support local businesses.

1 minute ago, clo said:

I was just telling Bob the other day that I'm so glad that we no longer have to eat/drink at any chain places.  We can and do support local businesses.

In the town I live in there are only 3 chain places and whenever we pass by they are always empty.I hope that soon they will be gone.We also have many “healthy” food restaurants.

11 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

A friend of mine developed the first all natural Gelato.Currently it is only available in Northern California.It is called Genuto,you can google it if you wish.

I think you may mean the first vegan gelato, or first dairy-free (having looked at the websites). There are -- and have been for a long time -- many all-natural gelato brands. At least, in Italy....

29 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

You have posted numerous times that you are a foodie.A friend of mine developed the first all natural Gelato.Currently it is only available in Northern California.It is called Genuto,you can google it if you wish.

I can't find any current info so maybe it's not longer around.  BTW it is/was vegan not all natural.

17 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think you may mean the first vegan gelato, or first dairy-free (having looked at the websites). There are -- and have been for a long time -- many all-natural gelato brands. At least, in Italy....

Oops I posted before I saw your post.  

3 minutes ago, clo said:

I can't find any current info so maybe it's not longer around.  BTW it is/was vegan not all natural.

It is definitely still available.It can be purchased at every Trader Joe’s in Northern California and in most supermarkets.It has received raves from the Foodie community and the Health community.

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

It is definitely still available.It can be purchased at every Trader Joe’s in Northern California and in most supermarkets.It has received raves from the Foodie community and the Health community.

How do you know this?  I did a decent search and couldn't find anything after about 2012.

BTW, "foodie" is an icky term for those of us who are 'into' food.  🙂

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

Google Genuto ,there are at least 17 sites to read about Genuto.

I did.  And their own site came up blank and everything else I saw was from 2011/2012.  I don't really care cause I have no interest in vegan gelato 🙂