Best Food Worst Food

Airbear232

There was recently another thread that tracked 'best food' on cruise lines.  It was interesting but with such a category, it was very broad.  I expect Hapag Lloyd or Ritz or other luxury lines to have great food.  I'd like to get people's feedback on the mass market lines what people's favorite (best) eatery and least favorite (worst) eatery on each of the different lines.

For example, on Royal Caribbean, I like most of the venues but really like Chops as a favorite and don't fancy Solarium Bistro too much.

Would be interested in getting others perspective and maybe learn something and get ideas on things to try and avoid.

Carnival is comfort food, and we have no complaints about it.  We like Celebrity, and their Ocean View Cafe (buffet) on the S class ships we find especially good.  Food on MSC is hit and miss...we find the entrees to miss a lot.  but we don't go hungry.  We have sailed HAL and Princess but not for 6-7 years so will not comment.  We were not greatly impressed by Cunard on our last cruise in 2013, but will be back on her next year anyway.  Some of the best food I have had, and best service was on a Louis Lines ship (now Celestyal) on a very small ship.  Which has long gone to the breakers.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Among mass market lines, I have found Cunard, Celebrity and HAL fairly reliably good. Nothing gourmet, but always decent food well served.

I was a little disappointed in Princess, but still fairly acceptable.  My one Carnival experience seemed to be minimum level.  

I could not help thinking that NCL’s MDR food quality  and service levels to be almost intentionally poor - possibly to induce “upgrading” to their alternative venues - which seemed about on a par with Cunard’s and HAL’s MDR’s.

Of specialty restaurants on Mass Market ships that I've sailed, I like Murano on Celebrity best.  I am not a huge steak fan, so the majority of specialties focused on steaks and chops don't appeal as much. I prefer the complexity of preparation and the service level you tend to find in more Continental (Old World; some might say old school!) restaurants.  Pinnacle Grill (HAL), Crown Grill (Princess) and Tuscan Grille (Celebrity) have been "good to better" but have not hugely impressed me. If they were restaurants on land I'd rarely find a reason to go.

I was equally unimpressed with Sabatini's (Italian) on Princess. Okay food and service but nothing that stood out. 

I would like to try Tamarind on HAL but so far have not sailed on one of their ships that has it (only on the newer, larger ones). I'm also looking forward to trying Sushi on 5 (Celebrity).

My most memorable meals ever have all been ashore. Hint, hint.

We like Luminae which is celebrity suite restaurant, also like there specialty restaurant Tuscan grill, buffet is also good.

Princess we did like Sabatinis but that was a while back

RCCL we like specialty restaurants chops, 150 Cp and Izumi hibachi 

Holland America we like Pinnacle 

for the bad rccl windjammer cafe 

Edited by George C

Yet to find any cruise food to get excited about, I compare it to banquette or conference food. 

I do prefer plain food, but I often doubt they can even cook a good steak 🥩.

By that same token I have never starved on a ship either.

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

Do we really need another pointless food thread? Unless you are  going on a luxury cruise ship, the food is airways going to be much of a muchness. You cruise to visit, not to eat.

And food is totally subjective. What I think of as great food, others might think of as blah. Absolutely nothing will get resolved. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

And food is totally subjective. What I think of as great food, others might think of as blah. Absolutely nothing will get resolved. 

That is so true, one man’s feast is another’s poison.

9 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Yet to find any cruise food to get excited about, I compare it to banquette or conference food. 

I do prefer plain food, but I often doubt they can even cook a good steak 🥩.

By that same token I have never starved on a ship either.

You should try specialty restaurants. That is where the food stands out. Prepared to order, more attentive service, smaller, quieter, more intimate surroundings. Best I have experienced were Palo's on Disney Magic and RMS Olympic on Millennium (now Tuscan Grille), and the most unique and fun was Qsine on Reflection and Constellation. 

5 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

You should try specialty restaurants. That is where the food stands out. Prepared to order, more attentive service, smaller, quieter, more intimate surroundings. Best I have experienced were Palo's on Disney Magic and RMS Olympic on Millennium (now Tuscan Grille), and the most unique and fun was Qsine on Reflection and Constellation. 

Remy on the Disney Dream was better than several one star Michelin starred restaurants I've dined at and at least as good as a couple of Michelin two stared restaurants I've dined at.  It would be difficult to outdo that restaurant at sea, and would be about the only reason we'd consider DCL in the future.

We have found the food on Oceania to be a bit better than the food we have tried on mass market lines, and Oceania is not a luxury line. Their specialty restaurants really stand out, but the MDR is better than most.

We don't take a cruise just to eat, and there are much better restaurants ashore, but when we are cruising, we do need to eat, and we like to have better than just average meals when we can. 

On 10/11/2019 at 3:08 PM, wowzz said:

Do we really need another pointless food thread? Unless you are  going on a luxury cruise ship, the food is airways going to be much of a muchness. You cruise to visit, not to eat.

As I was told years ago on a food site "avert your eyes" if there's a thread that doesn't interest.

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I believe that the perception is that if you are on a cruise the food will be better than your local restaurant.

Oh my, that's not my perception at all!  We have some great food here and since most specialize in certain cuisines I wouldn't expect cruise food to be AS good overall. And since they're cooking for the masses, as someone mentioned, some of the more esoteric seasonings are likely toned down and eliminated.  The beginning cruises we did served what I call "LCD" food - lowest common denominator. Although our upcoming Oceania cruises were picked for their destinations, the quality of their food was appealing.  Just my two cents.

11 minutes ago, clo said:

Oh my, that's not my perception at all!  We have some great food here and since most specialize in certain cuisines I wouldn't expect cruise food to be AS good overall. And since they're cooking for the masses, as someone mentioned, some of the more esoteric seasonings are likely toned down and eliminated.  The beginning cruises we did served what I call "LCD" food - lowest common denominator. Although our upcoming Oceania cruises were picked for their destinations, the quality of their food was appealing.  Just my two cents.

My 42 year old daughter and her husband only cruise on Oceania.My wife and I have never been on that line.It is my wife’s thinking that a cruise ship will have great food.I have learned that after nearly 53 years of marriage whatever she says is correct.😀