Am I correct assuming when Princess says water shuttle required, they mean tender?

ontheweb

Water shuttle required has been added to the itinerary listing on our upcoming Norwegian fjords cruise for 3 ports, Olden, Hellesyt, and Geiranger.

I'm assuming this is just another way of saying they are now tender ports. I cannot think of anything else it might mean. Or is these some difference between a water shuttle and a notmal tender?

"Limited Access" typically means that IF the passenger can walk (even with assistance) from the ship landing into the tender, the crew will then place the empty wheelchair into the tender.  IF you cannot transit to the tender on your own feet, then tender transit will not be allowed. 

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

Some of the shuttles are not from the ships tenders but actually state "water shuttle" on the boat and are provided by the port you are visiting. They are much smaller then the ships lifeboats which are used as tenders. 

Some maybe larger than the ship's tenders.

1 hour ago, steelers36 said:

I wonder if it partly came from the fact that a couple of large boats were added at Princess Cay to shuttle passengers back and forth to the beach as opposed to using smaller ship's tenders.

I think this is where it came from:

https://www.cruisemapper.com/news/4682-carnival-discards-tenders-for-water-shuttles

Carnival sets the trend. I think for new cruisers, it makes more sense.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

Sorry, but I can’t stand the new term water shuttle.  Once embarking the ship’s “water 

shuttle” there is signage inside referring to it as a ship’s tender, or to keep arms and hands inside the tender.  

• Like 2

According to the article they wanted to do away with the old nautical term tender - so what about the words starboard or port? Many people can't keep straight which is right or left?  How about Bow or Aft, or cabin VS room, soon we won't know if it's a cruise or not!

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Coral said:

I think this is where it came from:

https://www.cruisemapper.com/news/4682-carnival-discards-tenders-for-water-shuttles

Carnival sets the trend. I think for new cruisers, it makes more sense.

So, Carnival passengers are confused when they hear the nautical term "tender."

Other name changes need to be made so as not to confuse the passengers with other nautical terms:

o Forward needs to be renamed "the pointy end"

o Aft needs to be renamed "the blunt end"

o Port needs to be renamed "left side when facing the pointy end"

o Starboard needs to be renamed "right side when facing the pointy end"

o Galley tour needs to be renamed "kitchen tour"

o Deck needs to be renamed "floor"

o Cabin needs to be renamed "hotel room"

etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/19/2019 at 8:33 AM, 1025cruise said:

Yeah, for some reason it was decided to rename the tender to water shuttle. Stupid idea. 

Agreed. Delta now says “unexpected rough air” instead of turbulence. Everyone is making things sound “prettier”. 

• Like 1

From Mr. Google

a)

People also ask:   What is a water shuttle?

Water shuttles involve process in which tankers deliver water to emergency scene, travel to filling. site, reload with water, and return to emergency scene to dump again.  Water shuttle operations rely on constant movement of apparatus between emergency scene and. water supply source. 

b)

How much water does a tender hold?

Most water tenders are designed to carry loads of 1000 gallons (approx. 3800 litres) or more.

On 10/20/2019 at 2:23 PM, caribill said:

So, Carnival passengers are confused when they hear the nautical term "tender."

Other name changes need to be made so as not to confuse the passengers with other nautical terms:

o Forward needs to be renamed "the pointy end"

o Aft needs to be renamed "the blunt end"

o Port needs to be renamed "left side when facing the pointy end"

o Starboard needs to be renamed "right side when facing the pointy end"

o Galley tour needs to be renamed "kitchen tour"

o Deck needs to be renamed "floor"

o Cabin needs to be renamed "hotel room"

etc.

What about the head?

Whether you say "tender" or "water shuttle," one thing that has changed as it is almost impossible to find which ports use one to get to shore.

When you look at an itinerary on the Princess web site, it no longer indicates which ports use a tender/water shuttle.

If you call Princess, the rep cannot easily find the information, but can look up general information for each port and see if it requires a tender/water shuttle or not or if it might require one but it is not sure.

Once you book a cruise, the itinerary in the Personalize will have this information. Just do not expect to find out about it before making a booking.

11 minutes ago, caribill said:

Whether you say "tender" or "water shuttle," one thing that has changed as it is almost impossible to find which ports use one to get to shore.

When you look at an itinerary on the Princess web site, it no longer indicates which ports use a tender/water shuttle.

If you call Princess, the rep cannot easily find the information, but can look up general information for each port and see if it requires a tender/water shuttle or not or if it might require one but it is not sure.

Once you book a cruise, the itinerary in the Personalize will have this information. Just do not expect to find out about it before making a booking.

I was going to say I have seen which ports on our upcoming cruise you have water shuttles, but you are right I saw that in my personalizer. I do not remember seeing it in the itinerary before booking.

I wonder if my TA would have known.