Tales from the Journey Transatlantic 5 November 2019

uktog

7 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I'd be very surprised if there was a move into food and beverage. That role has to be 'in the blood' and I don't think Ngawhira has any experience there. As I said it does look like a temporary position because it still has "to be announced" later in the year. I suspect when a replacement for Fred in the F & B role has been found. 

Phil 

I agree about being in the blood.  I never thought to ask her about F and B.but she has been front desk manager forever and HD would be great.

A loyal guest would of notice some of the problems as we had 30 guests come without a Chinese Visa on the second cruise. In the end they all went home. How they got on no idea, we had at least three medical with a crew member going to a hospital with each guest. In two cases I knew the crew was missing.

Plus many whom-did not want to fly home from HK and were  flying home from Shanghai ,well, we missed that port due to weather  going there. So lots of people involved changing flights etc.

I am not sure how you move someone out of HD. 

Also due to JR being charter in 2021 the company decided to change a 21 day S America  cruise on Quest.makes no sense to me. But now changes my Feb and March.

YIKES...how did passengers get on for China without the proper docs? I know the last time we went...on X out of Hong Kong in '17...that was a very big deal...and the officer in charge was working 24/7 to be sure everyone was A OK...and that was after a lot of "back and forth" with X re a "new" Visa option in China...which we had. and also working with us regarding a tour in Shanghai. Must have been heart-breaking for everyone!!! :(  LuAnn

LuAnn they don’t. Unless they can use the 144 hour visa free rules. Crew supporting guest emergencies are covered by different rules. Most of the time it’s handled by Miami/Port Agent etc

Re this cruise we’ve had our share of emergency situations but I refuse to post details on this thread....

All posts can be “acting up” Robin. Many are doing them including all your second Hotel Directors/FB managers. They move out to a more junior role when the permanent role holders return. Happens all over. So many roles are temporary on Azamara 

• Like 1

Last night was rocky again. They switched out the dance show to tonight and have just switched it out to tomorrow bringing forward Eric’s second show to tonight We are going again with friends to Aqualina so won’t see it but as it’s one we’ve seen many times we will leave space for newbies. 
It’s a strange dynamic 95 new guests arrived in Bermuda but we are all settled in our trivia groups art classes etc. The new guests are a lot noisier talking over balconies to each other etc. Looks like most haven’t cruised before and are a little unsure of things but I’ve seen lots of examples of the established passenger group reaching out to them. 
The luggage tags have arrived for those disembarking never a great sign. No one is thinking about the end yet! 

9 hours ago, LuAnn said:

YIKES...how did passengers get on for China without the proper docs? I know the last time we went...on X out of Hong Kong in '17...that was a very big deal...and the officer in charge was working 24/7 to be sure everyone was A OK...and that was after a lot of "back and forth" with X re a "new" Visa option in China...which we had. and also working with us regarding a tour in Shanghai. Must have been heart-breaking for everyone!!! 😞 LuAnn

It was a cruise from Tokyo to HK. All I know is about 30 people had to leave ship. From what I was told they could leave ship abd go home. Thyroid could not get back on ship. Sounds to me passports were not checked in Japan,. I was doing more than one cruise and I had two passports.  Y older one had a good Cuna Visa in it. No one called me fir it I just came down with it. So then they had two. Later when they scan my picture to show if needed they  used the old passport that showed where the hole was lunch to mean no good. Had that happen twice and I finally picked it up.

i really have no idea how these people got on. Thus cruise we  cancel ports and added port to out run weather.the others had more medical that I knew off from heart to a fall. People drinking on dance floor . 

At times  I wondered where these people came from ..mainly the ones who told off the DJ where other guests could here.

balcony talking I could live with but telling off the DJ...

• Like 1

It continues ti be breezy and roll a little as we head on our last day toward Miami.  Everyone seems to have got on very well and the new cruisers in Bermuda have begun to settle and respect that you do not hold conversations between balconies 1 and 3 when someone is on balcony 2.  We certainly have had no issues on the dance floor or wherever even though Spirits has been the liveliest I have seen it for many cruises, closing late and a lot of drink has been consumed.  

Where there were potential issues it was often a language barrier (as often the member of staff rather than the guest) and I suspect ships security have had a quiet trip though I do not wire myself into the tittle tattle that might tell me otherwise.  Just want to concentrate on enjoying the cruise.

Tomorrow we head to Terminal G in Miami - not the usual one Azamara uses as another vessel needs it so there will be no airbridge.  Self disembarkation will have to be from Deck 3.  Back to back guests have to leave about 9.15 and will not be able to rebound until after clearance has been given by immigration to start the new voyage.  The delay could be 15 minutes or anything up to 2 hours as happened on Pursuit last year.  We have learned our lesson - we will head out to town and not come back to embark until later in the day.  There are no late departures permitted.  55 officers and crew also head home for well earned breaks.  Others are having to stay for a few more ports as their successors visas are not in place for the USA and its easier to bring people on in the islands.  Whilst the documentation officer can have fun with the guests paperwork, talking to the HR officer responsible for crew deployments and travel arrangements I think they have a worse task by far.  Passengers are one group e.g. all with passports from country X are subject to the same rules, with crew it depends what role they perform onboard as well as their country of passport that affects their rules.  I am also hearing that on the transpacific many will have to  stay on to Aukland because the cost of flights from Tahiti have been ruled too high to do changes there.  Its just an insight into what has to happen behind the scenes when all we have to worry about are clocks and laundry coupons.... 🙂 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, uktog said:

I am also hearing that on the transpacific many will have to  stay on to Aukland because the cost of flights from Tahiti have been ruled too high to do changes there.  Its just an insight into what has to happen behind the scenes when all we have to worry about are clocks and laundry coupons.... 🙂 

I must admit that this occurred to me. Papeete isn't the most direct place to travel from and really is in the middle of the Pacific. So either Auckland or maybe a cruise early in LA is better for many. 

Phil 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uktog said:

....and a lot of drink has been consumed....

See them Scots', cannae take them anywhere....🤣

Although, I do recall you mentioning a while back that DH is English.

Edited by hamrag

55 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I must admit that this occurred to me. Papeete isn't the most direct place to travel from and really is in the middle of the Pacific. So either Auckland or maybe a cruise early in LA is better for many. 

Phil 

Papeete is difficult for flights, from nearly everywhere!  As we live on Kauai we briefly explored boarding from Nawiliwili toward the end of Journey's prior cruise, but finally succumbed to pragmatism and booked Kauai-HNL-PPT.  The direct flight on Hawaiian Air is just once per week, so we shall be forced to languish on Tahiti until our ship comes in ; )

Teri

I did notice that many of the new guests were directed individually by the HD to seats on the port side for Eric’s show last night.   It was very crowded and those of us old timers had to find our own seats.   Meanwhile shortly into the show, some after the first number, the new group began leaving the venue.   At the end of the show only two of the new guests remained.   Eric’s numbers, and jokes, may have been too off color for them.  Bermuda is noted for being conservative.

53 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I did notice that many of the new guests were directed individually by the HD to seats on the port side for Eric’s show last night.   It was very crowded and those of us old timers had to find our own seats.   Meanwhile shortly into the show, some after the first number, the new group began leaving the venue.   At the end of the show only two of the new guests remained.   Eric’s numbers, and jokes, may have been too off color for them.  Bermuda is noted for being conservative.

Off colour? Really? I can't imagine what kind of conservative Puritans they must be to be offended by any of Eric's Grandpa jokes or his songs! 

Perhaps they were just tired? 🤣

My observation is that the new guests are perhaps not the best fit for Azamara.  If they left the show, it was their loss; I have never heard Eric sing better or with more passion, many of the song choices were updated and all were very well received, and the Grandpa jokes were just fine.

• Like 1

I remover that joke. It’s funny and harmless. The audience for Eric’s shows are not 10 year’s old! If it’s indeed the case that the people from Bermuda were that easily offended....well I’m glad I’m not on a cruise with such ultra sensitive beings! 

53 minutes ago, hkr1216 said:

My observation is that the new guests are perhaps not the best fit for Azamara.  If they left the show, it was their loss; I have never heard Eric sing better or with more passion, many of the song choices were updated and all were very well received, and the Grandpa jokes were just fine.

I’ve done several cruises on three different Lines, however I’m new to Azamara and have no issue with off color or adult jokes.  I’m curious though, what observation of yours would make a guest a good fit fo Azamara ?

7 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

Trust. me...this is why why we are not on this cruise with you....because "getting home"...even to the "West Coast"..is very difficult...even for us " Lefties"!! :) :) :)  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LuAnn said:

Trust. me...this is why why we are not on this cruise with you....because "getting home"...even to the "West Coast"..is very difficult...even for us " Lefties"!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

I found great one way air on Air France back to LA!  Air Tahiti Nui is still ridiculous for one way; now booking r/t back to Papeete cut the price considerably for anyone comfortable with canceling the return leg ( I wouldn’t recommend doing that but just saying)

1 hour ago, retird said:

I’ve done several cruises on three different Lines, however I’m new to Azamara and have no issue with off color or adult jokes.  I’m curious though, what observation of yours would make a guest a good fit fo Azamara ?

DW and I enjoyed Eric 's shows & jokes .  We have cruised RCI, Celebrity and Hurtiigruten besides Azamara.

If you like outstanding service and don't mind a small shower, you will like Azamara.

2 hours ago, laurieb said:

I found great one way air on Air France back to LA!  Air Tahiti Nui is still ridiculous for one way; now booking r/t back to Papeete cut the price considerably for anyone comfortable with canceling the return leg ( I wouldn’t recommend doing that but just saying)

United just launched flights between San Francisco and Papeete.  

• Like 1

It was always going to be hard for the new arrivals to mix in and understand the humour that other newbies had gently grown with over two weeks.  I’m not sure we will ever know why some guests left - does it really matter. 
Eric’s show was a good show, from our perspective not the best ever but that was due to visual and sound issues where we were. 
Tonight’s show we had problems finding seats given so many reserved but unoccupied chairs. 
It’s been fun sharing the journey with everyone. Thanks for the nice comments - hang on for the next adventure 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, uktog said:

It was always going to be hard for the new arrivals to mix in and understand the humour that other newbies had gently grown with over two weeks.  I’m not sure we will ever know why some guests left - does it really matter. 
Eric’s show was a good show, from our perspective not the best ever but that was due to visual and sound issues where we were. 
Tonight’s show we had problems finding seats given so many reserved but unoccupied chairs. 
It’s been fun sharing the journey with everyone. Thanks for the nice comments - hang on for the next adventure 

Reserved and unoccupied chairs - how very un-Azamara like....I wonder what the purpose was...

• Like 2

Thank you for these posts, I'm enjoying this sharing of your Journey.

But, I don't understand the "reserved" seats.  In 10 cruises with Azamara over the last 10 year, I've not noted excessive reserved seating during a Cabaret show.  This can't be good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aussie travel bird said:

Reserved and unoccupied chairs - how very un-Azamara like....I wonder what the purpose was...

Yes, they need to cut this out. I wonder who's idea it was?  If hate to think that Eric had something to do with it or was pressured by some pushy guests. I know there are a few.....

Phil 

• Like 2