QUACK..HIDING OF THE DUCKS

MamaTene

52 minutes ago, mom says said:

I'll bet you didn't let your kids trick or treat at Halloween, either. Not everyone who wants to put a little fun in a child's day is a pervert. Do you consider Santa Claus to be a pedo? I would hate to live a life assuming the worst of the motives of everyone else in the world.

The police do..

https://www.newsweek.com/convicted-child-sex-offender-arrested-after-advertising-himself-santa-hire-1236851

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, misguy said:

There is never a request for any information that might connect the childeren, or adults to the one that hid the duck.  At least get your facts straight.

I would love to know all the facts with this fad. You didn’t answer the first time you were asked so I’ll repeat the question. How do you know this to be true 100% of the time?  Do you know every single person leaving a duck?  Just the facts please. 

Edited by Cruzaholic41
  • Like 2

There are sick people that pass out poison candy on Halloween.   Yet we have not cancelled Halloween.  Parents are aware and act accordingly.  Unfortunately there is always the chance of individual malfeasance.  

31 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

I would love to know all the facts with this fad. You didn’t answer the first time you were asked so I’ll repeat the question. How do you know this to be true 100% of the time?  Do you know every single person leaving a duck?  Just the facts please. 

I already know that you know the answer to this, but I will put it in writing for you. Of course there is no way to know who leaves them or what message they put on them. Bad things can happen anywhere. If the parents don't want their kids involved in this then they need to teach theme not to touch stuff that isn't theirs. Simple as that.

Since you seem so demanding for the facts go and read post 14. If that's not good enough for you then google it.

38 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Seriously, not every santa is a pervert, just like not every teacher is a pervert.

Edited by ReneeFLL

54 minutes ago, ldubs said:

There are sick people that pass out poison candy on Halloween.   Yet we have not cancelled Halloween.  Parents are aware and act accordingly.  Unfortunately there is always the chance of individual malfeasance.  

You meet face to face when trick-or-treating and parents or other adults are almost always very close. 

Anonymously hiding toys for children so they can contact you later on Facebook is sick. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Astonishing, isn’t it?  Why would any parent be ok with this? 

I think this is a very good and important discussion.  The times have changed and we must pay attention to this.  Thanks, everyone.  PS: I just thought it was stupid 🙂

9 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

You meet face to face when trick-or-treating and parents or other adults are almost always very close. 

Anonymously hiding toys for children so they can contact you later on Facebook is sick. 

I think that's very well said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

My thoughts exactly.  When I first heard about this ducks thing, I thought it was just a way for cruising adults to have a little fun (even though it's not my thing).  This is the first I'm seeing that kids are targeted and they are being encouraged to make contact via internet.  That, I have a problem with.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Aquahound said:

My thoughts exactly.  When I first heard about this ducks thing, I thought it was just a way for cruising adults to have a little fun (even though it's not my thing).  This is the first I'm seeing that kids are targeted and they are being encouraged to make contact via internet.  That, I have a problem with.  

This is one of the reasons any duck I find goes in the nearest trash can

• Like 5

I think people are a little bit overreacting to this fad. To me it doesn't seem much different to geocaching and I have yet to hear anyone end up a victim of crime because of geocahing😉.

The one thing that does bother me is considering the plastic problem we already have (especially when it comes to oceans) it does seem a little wong to be encouraging people to buy lots of little plastic toys which after the cruise is over the majority probably end up in landfill. They become single use plastic ducks.

• Like 2

Yes,  we have found two with the same email address and a note reading "let us know where you found our duck"  and one with a link to a FB group.

In that case, I would consider emailing the address and see what happens.  And if appropriate, turn over the email address to the authorities.

Although, it may be someone who just did not think of that possibility and gave their email address.  Not everyone is out to do harm.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I think people are a little bit overreacting to this fad. To me it doesn't seem much different to geocaching and I have yet to hear anyone end up a victim of crime because of geocahing😉.

The one thing that does bother me is considering the plastic problem we already have (especially when it comes to oceans) it does seem a little wong to be encouraging people to buy lots of little plastic toys which after the cruise is over the majority probably end up in landfill. They become single use plastic ducks.

Unlike Hide a Duck, geocaching requires that the finder be able to use a GPS system to locate a cache.  And they are, typically, hidden so that they are not identifiable as a cache.  My understanding is that the ducks are generally visible without a lot of searching.

Geocaching doesn't ask someone to go online and connect with the person who placed the cache.  

• Like 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a rubber duck cop who will stand over you and compel you (or your child) to go to any internet site. If the thing has a tag on it, throw away the tag. Nor are they fitted with spy cams or GPS trackers. The level of paranoia is high with some of you.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, clo said:

So has OP returned to give their thoughts?

Can you blame them with all the negative comments? They probably went to one of the other threads where there are more people interested in it.

5 hours ago, davekathy said:

Adults are the ones hiding ducks? 🙄 Little kids is one thing but adults, give me a break. 🙄

I would think it would involve hiding them with the child since it's supposed to be a fun thing for them. Then they can go hunting for other ducks like a treasure hunt. 

These are some cute ones that someone said they would be getting which they had posted on a thread at the beginning of the year. I also thought about doing it, but never got around to it.

https://www.orientaltrading.com/nautical-rubber-duckies-a2-13788228.fltr?categoryId=550222&rd=rubber ducks

Edited by ReneeFLL

10 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

This game has creepy written all over it. 

While the potential for bad things to happen due to this game is there, I think some here have overlooked another aspect - random plastic ducks left all over the ship could be just one more thing for the ship's crew to have to clean up.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

There are bad people everywhere and all we can do is to be as vigilant as possible while still living our lives.

I think we need to err on the side of caution without being paranoid.  Ducks might be cute but ducks with contact info is, IMO, an example of needing to err on the side of caution.  But I honestly wonder if people are so bored as to do things like this why have they chosen cruising?