Princess not honoring a 20% discount letter received during a cruise

mamkmm2

In October 2019 we took a New England/Canada cruise on the Caribbean Princess.  We missed two ports due to weather and because the pilot didn't think we could navigate the channel to St. John.  I wasn't happy but you can't control the weather.  What they could have controlled was the lousy communication and only letting passengers know 15 minutes or so before it was supposed to take place.  Okay, sometimes you just have to suck it up but to Princess' credit, without it being asked for, they gave passengers a letter for 20% of the cruises value off of new or existing booked cruises that weren't paid in full.  But there's a problem ...

The letter clearly states that it is for any new or existing cruise so long as it has not been paid in full.  We are on the phone with Princess and they are refusing to honor it on existing cruises that have not been paid in full.  They are saying they back dated it in their system.  It clearly states one thing in the letter but in their "system" it says something else.

This may well be the last cruise we take with Princess if they do not rectify this.  I understand they can't control the weather.  They can control underhanded tactics like they are using.

• Like 2

I don't quite understand this paragraph, especially the sentences I highlighted:

"The letter clearly states that it is for any new or existing cruise so long as it has not been paid in full.  We are on the phone with Princess and they are refusing to honor it on existing cruises that have not been paid in full.  They are saying they back dated it in their system. What did they back date?  It clearly states one thing in the letter but in their "system" it says something else." What does it say in their system?

Do you have a travel agent that can go to bat for you?

Just now, bcnvcanada said:

Ask to speak to a supervisor, if a problem, scan and send the letter to

them.  They are good in honouring letters, but sometimes have to be

seen.  

Our travel agent did that … they were told no.  We've done that and gone through multiple levels of supervisors … we were told no at each level.  My husband said a lawyer would be the next person to contact them because what it says in black and white in the letter is different from what is in their system.  That only got a … "we'll look into it."  Like I said, they honor their voucher or we'll refuse to have anything to do with Princess from here on out.  Weather isn't in their control.  Deceitful business practices are.

1 minute ago, capriccio said:

I don't quite understand this paragraph, especially the sentences I highlighted:

"The letter clearly states that it is for any new or existing cruise so long as it has not been paid in full.  We are on the phone with Princess and they are refusing to honor it on existing cruises that have not been paid in full.  They are saying they back dated it in their system. What did they back date?  It clearly states one thing in the letter but in their "system" it says something else." What does it say in their system?

Do you have a travel agent that can go to bat for you?

Travel agent tried.  They got no where.

The letter clearly states ANY existing cruise not yet paid in full.  We booked a cruise nine months ago that is due to be paid in full by Nov 1.  Princess said that they back dated the agreement so that it only counts on cruises booked after Oct 1 2019.  That's not "any existing cruise not paid in full" that is basically any new cruise since our cruise dates were Oct 14 - 24, 2019.

1 minute ago, mamkmm2 said:

The letter clearly states ANY existing cruise not yet paid in full.  We booked a cruise nine months ago that is due to be paid in full by Nov 1.  Princess said that they back dated the agreement so that it only counts on cruises booked after Oct 1 2019.  That's not "any existing cruise not paid in full" that is basically any new cruise since our cruise dates were Oct 14 - 24, 2019.

Wow - it certainly reads like Princess changed their conditions after distributing the letter.  I'd be livid too.  Good luck to you!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mamkmm2 said:

Our travel agent did that … they were told no.  We've done that and gone through multiple levels of supervisors … we were told no at each level.  My husband said a lawyer would be the next person to contact them because what it says in black and white in the letter is different from what is in their system.  That only got a … "we'll look into it."  Like I said, they honor their voucher or we'll refuse to have anything to do with Princess from here on out.  Weather isn't in their control.  Deceitful business practices are.

post the letter here ... black out personal info

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dodger1964 said:

must have been a bad October...we also cruised with them (for the first time) on a NE/Canada cruise in October and we missed 1 port because of high winds.

Most likely port for that to happen was Bar Harbor.  We've missed the port two years running now.  I think they need to pick another port for that leg of the journey. 

Just now, mamkmm2 said:

Most likely port for that to happen was Bar Harbor.  We've missed the port two years running now.  I think they need to pick another port for that leg of the journey. 

Hurricanes

5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

post the letter here ... black out personal info

There is no personal info because it was given to every guest on board.  Hopefully I inserted it into this post correctly.   Note that is says "or any existing booking not yet paid in full."  

Princess Letter.jpg

Edited by mamkmm2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, mamkmm2 said:

There is no personal info because it was given to every guest on board.  Hopefully I inserted it into this post correctly.   Note that is says "or any existing booking not yet paid in full."  

It says it right there in black and white.  Couldn't be any clearer. They are changing after the fact.

Edited by 2ferfun
  • Like 1

I see from the letter that this Future Cruise Credit cannot be used for any cruise that is non-refundable / non-transferable.  If neither of these conditions exist, are you able to save more by canceling that booking (since final payment hasn't been made) and applying your future cruise credit from your failed cruise to the new one and still come out ahead?  Are you already using a future cruise credit on that future sailing?  

You may need to just go directly with Princess with the new booking and cancel the old one if the numbers work in your favor.  Then, you can always transfer that new booking back to your TA if they are willing to take it over again.  

It sounds like a hassle but if your booking has a refundable deposit, it may be your best bet ... unless it's gone up a lot.  

If that won't work ... I wouldn't be apt to throw that 20% off the price of what you paid for that failed sailing away.  I'd find something to apply it to....but that's just me.  

9 minutes ago, greenie082756 said:

It also says for any existing booking not yet pain full that is non-refundable and non-transferable.

Wow that's a lot of stipulations. Was your booking you are trying to use it on a refundable deposit? 

The way I read the letter I believe they are referring to the 20% credit when they say it is non-refundable and non-transferable, not the existing booked cruise itself.

• Like 9

I agree that Princess should honor its written commitment.  I do not know if the existing cruise that you sought the refund on was in fact eligible, but I accept your assertion that it was.  Has Princess offered any explanation for why it is refusing to grant you the credit?

As to the ship giving you late notice as to the cancellation of the port visit, I suspect that they were hoping to avoid the cancellation and postponed the decision as long as they could in the hope that conditions would improve.  If they cancelled too early and the weather improved, passengers would be upset by that!

1 minute ago, 2pbears said:

The way I read the letter I believe they are referring to the 20% credit when they say it is non-refundable and non-transferable, not the existing booked cruise itself.

Agree. That how I interpreted it as well.

Just now, 2pbears said:

That is how it is written, that the 20% credit is non-transferrable and non-refundable.  People who assumed that the non-refundable and non-transferrable language referred to the existing booking did not pay attention to the language of the letter itself.

52 minutes ago, 2pbears said:

Agree. That’s the way I interpret it.

You aren't giving us numbers so that could make a difference.  If your 20% FCC is more than you still owe on the existing booking, they may be refusing to accept the FCC if it would result in a cash refund of monies already paid on your next cruise.  Just a thought.  But on the face of it, it looks bad for Princess.  I would write to the Captain who signed your letter and demand he keep his word to you.  You would be surprised at how much Captains value their reputations for integrity.  Good luck!

Here is a thought.

I would write a letter to the CA Department of Consumer Affairs in Sacramento reporting the mis conduct by Princess Cruise Line in Santa Clarita CA. I would attach a copy of the Princess letter. I would copy both the chief consul at Princess Cruises and Jan Swartz. 

• Like 2