Pub Lunch in the Wheelhouse Bar

soccergang

We took a break from Princess and did a few other lines this past year (river and expedition)  My husband always enjoyed the Pub Lunch they had at least once during the cruise.  We are currently on the Emerald, and when I asked about it, they looked at me like they never heard of it.  One lady said "maybe on the British Isles" cruise.  We just had it last year on the Regal trans-atlantic.  

Also, no more tea on port days, only sea days.  Two of the things we enjoyed are gone.  Disappointing.  

15 minutes ago, soccergang said:

We took a break from Princess and did a few other lines this past year (river and expedition)  My husband always enjoyed the Pub Lunch they had at least once during the cruise.  We are currently on the Emerald, and when I asked about it, they looked at me like they never heard of it.  One lady said "maybe on the British Isles" cruise.  We just had it last year on the Regal trans-atlantic.  

Also, no more tea on port days, only sea days.  Two of the things we enjoyed are gone.  Disappointing.  

We sail on Princess quite often and have never missed the pub lunch.  They had it on the Grand Princess just a coupled weeks ago ... twice, as a matter of fact on a ten night cruise.  Earlier in the year, they had it once on a seven night sailing on the Royal.  Not everybody knows about it, I guess ... but the employees should know what it is.  
I think you are right about the tea on port days only, though ... but they still have hot tea at the IC with some snacks .,. But, it really isn’t the same as sit down tea time.  I was actually unaware they had it on port days previously.  

Agree with @Cruise Raider.  I recall a "live" report from the Crown in early October by @Colo Cruiser included a picture of the lunch and an English cider can. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2704016-1018-live-from-the-crown/?do=findComment&comment=58613531

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 2

Strange. Princess dining guide states Pub Lunch is on all ships. Maybe the Emerald is the first to remove it. It's strange to remove the Pub Lunch. The cost of the food can't be any more than lunch at any other venue and they sell more beer and drinks than other dining venues. Seems to be revenue positive.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, steelers36 said:

Agree with @Cruise Raider.  I recall a "live" report from the Crown in early October by @Colo Cruiser included a picture of the lunch and an English cider can.

I think this was the best one I’ve been to ... the fish was not greasy at all and not all breading, either.  The shrimp and chips (which is on the second one only) was absolutely delicious!  I think they may have expanded the menu a bit as well ... or changed it somewhat.  I think there was Indian Food on one menu (maybe both) ... I know there were a lot of people pleased with that.  I didn’t try it ... who knows, maybe they had it on the menu the whole time.  

41 minutes ago, soccergang said:

We've always had pub lunch on the Princess cruises we've been on. It's been quite a while since we were on the Emerald but we have had it on that ship in the past. I always make a point to look in the patter for it on sea days. It has sometimes been scheduled in bars other than Wheelhouse but it's always been offered in our experience. I'll be pretty upset too if it has been cancelled on all sailings. 

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

I think this was the best one I’ve been to ... the fish was not greasy at all and not all breading, either.  The shrimp and chips (which is on the second one only) was absolutely delicious!  I think they may have expanded the menu a bit as well ... or changed it somewhat.  I think there was Indian Food on one menu (maybe both) ... I know there were a lot of people pleased with that.  I didn’t try it ... who knows, maybe they had it on the menu the whole time.  

They have 2 menus, which  if you only have one sea day, you'll miss one.  They've had the Curry for years.

1 minute ago, newport dave said:

They have 2 menus, which  if you only have one sea day, you'll miss one.  They've had the Curry for years.

I figured maybe they did, but I am very focused when they have shrimp and chips!  I see nothing else ... hahaha 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

Yeah I love the shrimp.

I missed the second one last week on the Crown.  🙁

2 hours ago, soccergang said:

when I asked about it, they looked at me like they never heard of it.

Curious. Who did you ask, and did you confirm the answer with a second opinion?  While it is certainly possible that it wasn’t offered on your cruise, but it is inconceivable that a crew member in the food services department or in passenger services would never have heard of it. A steward, maybe. 

2 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Yeah I love the shrimp.

I missed the second one last week on the Crown.  🙁

I actually missed the first one on my last cruise so my DH got the fish and chips and I got the shrimp and chips and we shared so we could each try a little off each plate.  The shrimp are my favorite, too, though.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I think there was Indian Food on one menu (maybe both) ... I know there were a lot of people pleased with that.  I didn’t try it ... who knows, maybe they had it on the menu the whole time.  

Some (not really) Indian dishes like Chicken Tikka are standard English Pub fare.

Pub Lunch was on my 1st 3 cruises this year (Star 17 nights, Caribbean 13 nights, Royal 5 nights). They were all in the Western Hemisphere. Anticipate it being on the NZ one too

I only go for the bread pudding 

Edited by Ombud

We were on the Sun Princess two weeks ago and we had two Pub Lunches. The first one was the better of the two as it had a meat pie which looked delicious. We had the Ploughman's lunch that day but best of all was the bread and butter pudding which was yummy.  The second Pub Lunch wasn't quite so good though the Shepherd's Pie was great. They tried to tell us we were eating Roly Poly pudding for dessert but unfortunately, it was just 2 jam rolls with a bit of custard, not quite what we expected.

Afternoon tea was also offered on sea days.  We went to one but it wasn't like the afternoon teas we are used to when we have it in an hotel so we were disappointed.

Jennie