Why are cruises to dubai/ uae etc so cheap compared to everywhere else?

The price have gone up and down a lot. But I wouldn't say that it's very cheap for us in Sweden, the same goes for cruises in Europe and Asia. The Caribbean are usualy cheaper then any other destination for us.

I think that since the Med, Dubai and Asia are common holiday destinations for swedes it likely that RC can get us to pay more.

2 hours ago, voyager70 said:

After those Dubai flights Europe is a piece of cake!  I'm on the east coast though.

I just checked for airfare for one of those inexpensive Dubai cruises and LAX to DXB direct is 16 hours.  If you have a connection flights are around 22 hours. I'm sure it would be an interesting cruise but way too long for me.

1 hour ago, CruiseKeeper said:

We just flew an 18.5 hour nonstop from Singapore to Newark and boy are my arms tired.  🥴  

Didn't even realize there was a nonstop between EWR-SIN.  We would love to do a SE Asia cruise out of Singapore.  We're in the Northeast and will have to look into this.

19 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I just checked for airfare for one of those inexpensive Dubai cruises and LAX to DXB direct is 16 hours.  If you have a connection flights are around 22 hours. I'm sure it would be an interesting cruise but way too long for me.

Yeah we had to change planes at ATL and total flight time, not counting layovers, was around 34 hours.

5 hours ago, Tin can said:

Genuinely interested, do Americans need a visa for Dubai and the ports of call.

Pretty certain Americans don't need a visa for Dubai.  From Europe its a fairly easy flight to get some winter sun and the prices are very cheap at moment 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Pretty certain Americans don't need a visa for Dubai.  From Europe its a fairly easy flight to get some winter sun and the prices are very cheap at moment 

I'm American and we get a visa stamp at the immigration desk at the airport in Dubai at no cost.  The cruise line takes passports upon embarkation and takes care of the visa/s for the other countries visited.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

I'm American and we get a visa stamp at the immigration desk at the airport in Dubai at no cost.  The cruise line takes passports upon embarkation and takes care of the visa/s for the other countries visited.

That's the same for us in the UK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Didn't even realize there was a nonstop between EWR-SIN.  We would love to do a SE Asia cruise out of Singapore.  We're in the Northeast and will have to look into this.

It was a Voyager cruise out of Hong Kong to Vietnam ending in Singapore.  Changi Airport and the Jewel at SIN is a destination not to be missed.  

• Like 1

I’m not sure that the main reason many Americans don’t go there is because they’re afraid. We are recently empty-nesters and so get to travel longer distances and times, but I could probably list 100 cruises that sound infinitely more interesting If I’m going to travel that far.  

I also feel that if I’m going there and putting money towards their tourism I’m basically saying that I have no objection to their discrimination laws. I know that is a slippery slope, and I’m sure someone will push me down it.   But when things like marital rape are legal, and being a homosexual is illegal, that’s a pretty big red flag for me

Edited by cindivan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CruiseKeeper said:

It was a Voyager cruise out of Hong Kong to Vietnam ending in Singapore.  Changi Airport and the Jewel at SIN is a destination not to be missed.  

The Jewel is amazing.  I spent 8 hours there before I even went to Air Side of the airport.|
It really is a day trip on its own.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cindivan said:

I also feel that if I’m going there and putting money towards their tourism I’m basically saying that I have no objection to their discrimination laws. 

Many don't visit Russia or Mainland China for very similar reasons.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Nope. Read my post.

Nope. Not according to https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/UnitedArabEmirates.htm

This is also based on my personal experience traveling there. However, it would not be the first time the government had outdated information and the rules changed from when I was there. 🙂

15 hours ago, Extra Kim said:

The price have gone up and down a lot. But I wouldn't say that it's very cheap for us in Sweden, the same goes for cruises in Europe and Asia. The Caribbean are usualy cheaper then any other destination for us.

I think that since the Med, Dubai and Asia are common holiday destinations for swedes it likely that RC can get us to pay more.

I feel your pain..... it was cheaper for the three of us to fly to New York in August, stay in Manhattan for two nights and sail on Adventure to the Bahamas than sail out of Southampton.