Question about R class

Essiesmom

Sailing Sat. on Insignia.  Took an upsell to a D OV - not really a bargain, just what was listed on website, but what is $200 in the scheme of things...

So we would like to know if there is a deep windowsill beneath the porthole.  Which we know is not huge.  We have had nice deep sills on other ships with portholes/windows and find them great for storage of small items.  

And then...we are now down on deck 3...There are two of us in the cabin, but only one porthole...  So will we have one or two oars under the beds?  Thanks.  EM

• Haha 1

The is a good amount of space under the porthole for storage.  We used it for wet things, like our snorkeling gear.  We have been in these cabins once and found them to be okay.  They are darker due to the small window. .  However,  on the plus side, they are very quiet.  They can only be accessed by one set of stairs so there is no through traffic making these dozen or so cabins extremely quiet.  

Edited by KS&JW
  • Like 2

I have only been on deck 4  so cannot help with the  window well on deck 3

They were very good size on the C1 OV cabins

But there is ample storage on the R ships  ..I find it better than on the O class ships

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

So we would like to know if there is a deep windowsill beneath the porthole.

We were on Insignia a few months ago in one of these-- the sill is big. So big that when we hit very rough seas and I was extremely sea sick in bed my wife actually took a few pillows and slept in it like a hammock. Strange but elegant solution to an unfortunate problem. 

Porthole area is huge we left a lot of stuff there, a knapsack, hats, sunglasses and odds and ends, snorkel equipment.

Noted suitcases in the picture provided, those fit nicely under bed. You have to lift one corner of bed and then slide them in.  Has always worked well with our huge suitcases. (larger than those shown)

Booked 4015 around Australia Regatta next month, room the same as third floor. Upgrade would be nice but not necessary.

On 11/12/2019 at 4:01 PM, Cruseforme said:

Sorry, I can’t help you, but I haven’t stopped laughing since I read your last statement!   The best laugh in a while, thanks!    

Yes funny stuff!   The two oars are in the closet.

Edited by Nymich
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 5:02 PM, princeton123211 said:

We were on Insignia a few months ago in one of these-- the sill is big. So big that when we hit very rough seas and I was extremely sea sick in bed my wife actually took a few pillows and slept in it like a hammock. Strange but elegant solution to an unfortunate problem. 

Were you on deck 3, or deck 6?(or 7)?

As the photo in the link LHT28 posted above shows, the deck 3 porthole behind the curtain is kind of small, to be used as a “hammock”, unless I’m missing something...

IIRC, there are a couple of cabins on decks 6 and 7 that have a large round window , instead of a balcony like the others on those decks...Those might be large enough to curl up into...🤔

As far as putting a suitcase under the bed, we have done it both ways depending on the ship.  On one we left the suitcases open and the top flopped back and it went under the bed. On another we lifted the corner of the bed as suggested above, and put the suitcase closed under the bed.  It was more a matter of getting past the frame.

Re: Oars   Since their are only passenger cabins of one side of the ship on deck three, unless the crew on the other side has oars, you will possible row the ship in a big circle. 

Warning - We had one of these cabins, which I liked.  But when the waves got bigger, my wife thought the water level appeared to be higher than the porthole (even though the water did not hit the porthole), which she did not like.

On 11/12/2019 at 4:13 PM, LHT28 said:

They were very good size on the C1 OV cabins

Not all...depends on which cabin you're in. I was in 4021, which is right above the gangway door and the under-window storage area was very shallow and narrow compared to the "average" C category cabin (plus, it was very noisy out in the hall and through the connecting door)...I will NEVER get this cabin, or its companion one on the other side, again.

I had a cabin on deck 3 (3025) and I loved it. It is the same size as the ones on deck 4 and I thought it had plenty of light. The hallway was extremely quiet...only drawback is that there's no direct access to the forward stairs/elevators. But I quickly figured out how to get around.

One more thing...there was lots of early morning noise and banging near both of those cabins when docking in a port. Woke me up every time.

1 hour ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Not all...depends on which cabin you're in. I was in 4021, which is right above the gangway door and the under-window storage area was very shallow and narrow compared to the "average" C category cabin (plus, it was very noisy out in the hall and through the connecting door)...I will NEVER get this cabin, or its companion one on the other side, again.

I try to stay further back  in the C1's   closer to Reception  so never thought about the size of the window wells  in the C2 cabins 

I never book a connecting cabin  usually it is more noisy from neighbours  the regular cabins are bad enough  when people like to have their TV up load

On 11/16/2019 at 10:31 PM, LHT28 said:

I try to stay further back  in the C1's   closer to Reception  so never thought about the size of the window wells  in the C2 cabins 

I never book a connecting cabin  usually it is more noisy from neighbours  the regular cabins are bad enough  when people like to have their TV up load

I didn't get to choose my cabin...I booked it onboard as I extended for one more cruise and this was the VERY LAST cabin left on the entire ship...and I found out why! 😲  (After the world cruise I extended for 3 additional cruises).

Edited by Go-Bucks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 5:50 PM, bob brown said:

Were you on deck 3, or deck 6?(or 7)?

As the photo in the link LHT28 posted above shows, the deck 3 porthole behind the curtain is kind of small, to be used as a “hammock”, unless I’m missing something...

IIRC, there are a couple of cabins on decks 6 and 7 that have a large round window , instead of a balcony like the others on those decks...Those might be large enough to curl up into...🤔

I was going to post the same of the OV's on 6 and 7.  We've stayed in those staterooms twice - once by a sell-down (O wanted our Concierge and made it worth our while $$ wise) and a second time by choice.  The cabins in question are the furthest forward on both decks.  Larger stateroom than the other OV's.  This is because they are too far forward for a balcony (spraying sea water in rougher weather) so the room itself is deeper than most.  We had two chairs brought in so we could sit facing the sea through that HUGE porthole.  It was about 44 to 48 inches in diameter IIRC, and, yes, there is good storage in the 'well' beneath it - about 6 to 8 inches wide and deep.

If available, I'd certainly look into getting one of them.

1 hour ago, GeorgesGal said:

I was going to post the same of the OV's on 6 and 7.  We've stayed in those staterooms twice - once by a sell-down (O wanted our Concierge and made it worth our while $$ wise) and a second time by choice.  The cabins in question are the furthest forward on both decks.  Larger stateroom than the other OV's.  This is because they are too far forward for a balcony (spraying sea water in rougher weather) so the room itself is deeper than most.  We had two chairs brought in so we could sit facing the sea through that HUGE porthole.  It was about 44 to 48 inches in diameter IIRC, and, yes, there is good storage in the 'well' beneath it - about 6 to 8 inches wide and deep.

If available, I'd certainly look into getting one of them.

Those are what are known on CC as “secret cabins”...😉

On 11/12/2019 at 3:26 PM, Essiesmom said:

Sailing Sat. on Insignia.  Took an upsell to a D OV - not really a bargain, just what was listed on website, but what is $200 in the scheme of things...

So we would like to know if there is a deep windowsill beneath the porthole.  Which we know is not huge.  We have had nice deep sills on other ships with portholes/windows and find them great for storage of small items.  

And then...we are now down on deck 3...There are two of us in the cabin, but only one porthole...  So will we have one or two oars under the beds?  Thanks.  EM

Mike Preisman does great reviews of ships he has traveled on.  This one is 3029 on a sister ship, Nautica.

https://www.thepreismans.com/china_japan_page3.htm