Ocean Medallion Questions - Part 2

LauraS

35 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Thanks for the responses.  I'm not concerned about me or DW remembering where our muster station is located.  My question is does Princess really expect thousands of PAX (most of whom are seniors) remembering the location of their station during an emergency?  Many don't carry a smart phone and just imagine the lines of PAX asking a crew member where their muster station is?  There has to be room on the Medallion to print the muster station like they did on the cards.

Wonder if they have any problems with the drill. True, there isn't the urgency (although most of us urgently want to get it done so we go back to whatever we were doing- grin) associated with a real emergency, but it could give them a good idea as to what problems might exist.  If the Captain does a lecture, I may ask this question in a couple of weeks. 
    If I get the chance, I''ll let people know. 

• Like 1

We'll sail on Feb. 1, and I set up both DH and myself on my smart phone.  Got the Medallions (freaking out DH -- issues re privacy -- but another story for another day), and we're good to go.

Hubby has only a flip phone, but does have a Samsung tablet.  Can I put the app on the tablet so he can (if he wants to) take advantage of Compass, etc.?

4 minutes ago, ecs66 said:

Hubby has only a flip phone, but does have a Samsung tablet.  Can I put the app on the tablet so he can (if he wants to) take advantage of Compass, etc.?

You can download MedallionClass for free from the Google Play app store. 

4 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Thanks for the responses.  I'm not concerned about me or DW remembering where our muster station is located.  My question is does Princess really expect thousands of PAX (most of whom are seniors) remembering the location of their station during an emergency?  Many don't carry a smart phone and just imagine the lines of PAX asking a crew member where their muster station is?  There has to be room on the Medallion to print the muster station like they did on the cards.

The passengers were supposed to go to muster on the first day. They should be able to remember where it was.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Thrak said:

The passengers were supposed to go to muster on the first day. They should be able to remember where it was.

You're absolutely correct.  They should be able to remember but how many times do people forget where they parked their car at the mall just an hour before?  I just don't think Princess should have a big objection to printing the muster station on the medallion.  That's all I'm suggesting.

15 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

You're absolutely correct.  They should be able to remember but how many times do people forget where they parked their car at the mall just an hour before?  I just don't think Princess should have a big objection to printing the muster station on the medallion.  That's all I'm suggesting.

All they would need to do is print the Muster letter on it, they'd only be adding one letter. However, if you got a cabin upgrade after they shipped the Medallion they'd have to make a new one for you at embarkation (assuming that your station changed as well).

46 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Let's hope nobody ever needs to go to muster stations in an emergency on any Princess (or any other) ship.  :classic_huh:

I would guess that in the event of the scenario mentioned that everyone would have to go to their muster station (don't they call it something different now, you know, like tenders are now called shuttles).

I digress, my favorite line in CC is "Can I ask my stewart where my mustard station is?"

Edited by CruiseVA
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Daniel A said:

You can download MedallionClass for free from the Google Play app store. 

In the Play Store I'm only able to find OceanCompass and PlayOcean on his tablet via wi-fi.  I had no problem installing the main MedallionClass on my smart phone.  Not sure what's going on.  I'll call the help line tomorrow.

12 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Thanks for the response.  So how does Princess expect thousands of people to get to their muster stations in the event the generators crap out and so does the power to the ship's intranet?  (rhetorical question)

Plus some of us aren't planning on having our phones with us. Ours go into the safe when we board.

8 minutes ago, ecs66 said:

In the Play Store I'm only able to find OceanCompass and PlayOcean on his tablet via wi-fi.  I had no problem installing the main MedallionClass on my smart phone.  Not sure what's going on.  I'll call the help line tomorrow.

What kind of tablet are you using, and, how old is it?

Edited by CruiseVA

7 minutes ago, CruiseVA said:

What kind of tablet are you using, and, how old is it?

It's a Samsung Galaxy Tab (6a, I think), just a couple years old.  I just updated the Play Store app, and that didn't do it.  I have an IDEA -- I could be wrong -- is that the gmail account associated with the tablet is the same account that's on my smart phone.  Maybe I need to set up a unique gmail account for the tablet.  Maybe it recognizes that Medallion already is installed.  Oh, well, there's plenty of time to get it taken care of.  Thank you so much!!  (Of course, any ideas would be appreciated.)

You can always go to play.google.com - find the App & tell it which device to download it to.  I don't know why the Tab can't see it, I see it on my Android & new ChromeOS tablet. Heck, I even see it on the Kindle Fire HD 8 that I installed Play store on.

MedallionClass App requires Android 6.0 and up, according to the Play Store. I cannot install it on my old MotoX (which I take on trips in case my Pixel 2 get's fried, lost, or stolen).  Have you updated Android on it? Settings -> About Phone -> System updates (most likely).

Edited by CruiseVA

13 hours ago, ecs66 said:

I had a similar problem loading it onto my Fire 7 tablet.  That has a very slow processor.  I left the play store open overnight and in the morning the MedallionClass app showed up.  Might be worth a try.

3 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I left the play store open overnight and in the morning the MedallionClass app showed up.  Might be worth a try.

Thanks!  I'll do that.  The little turning thingie looks like it's trying to do something but nothing happens.  I will try.

10 minutes ago, ecs66 said:

Thanks!  I'll do that.  The little turning thingie looks like it's trying to do something but nothing happens.  I will try.

That's exactly what happened to me with my Fire 7.  That's why I left it open overnight.  (BTW when I e-mailed the help people, they said I couldn't get MedallionClass on my Fire 7.  They were wrong - it's working just fine.)

1 minute ago, Daniel A said:

That's why I left it open overnight.

I left it searching for a while, and finally did get a screen with apps showing, but still no MedallionClass.  Just OceanCompass and PlayOcean.  Called the Princess number for Ocean twice,  and it cut me off after five minutes both times.  It'll work out eventually, I figure.

Calling the main Princess number a few times earlier in the week, after more than a half hour each time, I got a message that "There are more than 100 callers ahead of you" and telling me to try my call later.  Their customer service used to be outstanding, but it sucks now.  They must've cut staff to pay for Medallion stuff, including ridiculous glitzy mailing packaging.  A bubble wrap mailer with a black and white letter would've been fine.  (Send a plain mailer and give me Coke or coffee on board.)

6 hours ago, ecs66 said:

I left it searching for a while, and finally did get a screen with apps showing, but still no MedallionClass.  Just OceanCompass and PlayOcean.  Called the Princess number for Ocean twice,  and it cut me off after five minutes both times.  It'll work out eventually, I figure.

I hope you can make it work. I am at the same point on my Kindle Fire HD 10. GooglePlay can only find the OceanCompass and the PlayOcean, both of which work - but no MedallionClass app is found.

Edited by MGnut