Ocean Medallion Questions - Part 2

LauraS

2 hours ago, Davis2010 said:

New to Princess and the Medallion. We are sailing the Ruby Princess in May. How do I know which pieces are needed to order for the medallion? It gives an option for bracelet, clip, lanyard insert, pendant and sports band? 

You can choose what suits you best. Lanyard is free, the others you pay for. 

48 minutes ago, Davis2010 said:

Do you recommend any of them? Or will the lanyard be sufficient?

Davis2010, We ordered the lanyard, but wont use it. We will either have it in a pocket or a little purse I use that fits my phone . A lot of people have gone for a variety of items sports bands etc. So totally up to you. A lanyard will work because its around your neck, like the old cruise cards. 

6 hours ago, Davis2010 said:

New to Princess and the Medallion. We are sailing the Ruby Princess in May. How do I know which pieces are needed to order for the medallion? It gives an option for bracelet, clip, lanyard insert, pendant and sports band? 

You don't need any of the add-on options. They are just ways for you to spend extra money. I haven't sailed a Medallion cruise yet but I know in advance I'll just stick it in my pocket. No extra expenditure required.

10 hours ago, Davis2010 said:

You can also wait until you get on board and look at the options available. That way, you can try using the lanyard or nothing and if it doesn't work for you, you can purchase something else on board.

Welcome to Princess!

11 hours ago, Davis2010 said:

I am on my first Medallion Class cruise right now.  I bought these Fitbit clips on Amazon and they are working fine by me, but DW prefers wear the medallion on the free lanyard.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KO2T6VC/ref=twister_B01N1INYGG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Daniel A

We've just done our first Medallion cruise on the Regal Princess East/West Caribbean 19th January.  We're in the UK so didn't get our medallions mailed to us in advance, but they were waiting for us at check-in at Fort Lauderdale cruise terminal.  No problems opening stateroom door though it seemed to recognise me more often than my husband, maybe because I was the lead passenger on the booking.  On my husband's birthday on board, a little birthday cake symbol appeared next to his name on the screen outside our door, but only for that day (yes we did get a cake that evening at dinner).  We both downloaded the app on our phones before leaving the UK, but found out later that there are other additional apps for the games and ocean 'avatars'/tagalongs that you also have to download but as we go in airplane mode for the 2 weeks in the US, we couldn't use these on our phones when onboard without wasting internet minutes.  We went to a half hour 'induction' session on the first day of the cruise, and there was a dedicated desk with people to ask about the medallions on board.  We managed to order drinks on the app, and as an example of how to find us...well we weren't happy with the wine at our first evening meal, we discussed with the restaurant manager and she changed it, but we weren't 100% happy with it and didn't finish it, my husband mentioned this to the waiter and 15 mins later while we were in Crooners, the restaurant manager came to find us there and offered us a free bottle of wine for the next evening...would she have found us without our medallions? I'm not sure what to do with the medallions now after the cruise though, it seems a shame to throw them away, maybe I will keep as fridge magnets.  However I still got the little cruise card postage stamp from the Captain's Circle to stick in my cruise passport!

• Like 1

We got a couple of things cleared up at our Meet & Mingle today by the head of Guest Relations.

1. Personal Information available to servers & staff other than the desk.  They have access to your name, picture, month & day of birth, not year, and state you are from. The birthday & state are so that the servers can use that info to start up a conversation with you.  That's all they see.  So those rumors about Passport ID, phone number, address are just that - unfounded rumors.

2. We're on the Regal and a lot of servers keep asking us for our Cabin number. The reason for that is because not all servers have been trained in using the Medallion System. So fat only the Sky was built for the Medallion & all personnel were trained from the start. Since it's an addon to all other ships they are slowly  coming up to speed.  

3. He passed his Medallion around, the new ones are made of plastic and are pacemaker safe.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, CruiseVA said:

We got a couple of things cleared up at our Meet & Mingle today by the head of Guest Relations.

1. Personal Information available to servers & staff other than the desk.  They have access to your name, picture, month & day of birth, not year, and state you are from. The birthday & state are so that the servers can use that info to start up a conversation with you.  That's all they see.  So those rumors about Passport ID, phone number, address are just that - unfounded rumors.

2. We're on the Regal and a lot of servers keep asking us for our Cabin number. The reason for that is because not all servers have been trained in using the Medallion System. So fat only the Sky was built for the Medallion & all personnel were trained from the start. Since it's an addon to all other ships they are slowly  coming up to speed.  

3. He passed his Medallion around, the new ones are made of plastic and are pacemaker safe.

I was present as well to hear those answers.  I hope this will put some of the fear mongering to bed.:classic_angry: 

P2040080 (2).JPG

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, hsmom said:

Do the passengers get the new plastic ones? 

I understood that they are phasing them in.  Initially you may or may not get a new plastic medallion but at some point all passenger medallions should be plastic and pacemaker/defibrillator safe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

So the current ones are not safe?

This is what the HGM on the Regal told you?

What we were told was that the new plastic medallions will not be magnetized and therefore safe for all pacemakers and implanted defibrillators.  He never said the current medallions are unsafe. 

Is a car with seatbelts and airbags unsafe because newer cars are coming out with automatic emergency braking?  Same concept as I understood it.

7 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

What we were told was that the new plastic medallions will not be magnetized and therefore safe for all pacemakers and implanted defibrillators.  He never said the current medallions are unsafe. 

Is a car with seatbelts and airbags unsafe because newer cars are coming out with automatic emergency braking?  Same concept as I understood it.

I think it leaves unnecessary doubt in the minds of those that used/will use/have used the current ones.

Makes it sound as though they are/were not safe.

They should ALL be safe regardless, before they are put into use.

8 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

He should have not addressed that the plastic ones are safe as it leaves unnecessary doubt in the minds of those that used/will use/have used the current ones.

Makes it sound as though they are not.

They should ALL be safe regardless, before they are put into use.

We paraphrased what he said.  What he said was that the new medallions are made from plastic and not magnetic and wouldn't be a concern to pacemaker or defibrillator patients.  He never gave an assurance that the new medallions were 'safe.'   He never said the previous one weren't safe.

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel A said:

We paraphrased what he said.  What he said was that the new medallions are made from plastic and not magnetic and wouldn't be a concern to pacemaker or defibrillator patients.  He never gave an assurance that the new medallions were 'safe.'   He never said the previous one weren't safe.

Sounds like he muddied the waters.

Thats not good as my son has one as well as hundreds of passengers onboard during any given cruise.

Now we're all speculating. Wildly speculating & jumping to conclusions.  What Daniel said was pretty much spot on, there was no muddying of the waters, just an answer to the best of his knowledge.  To speculate further, perhaps the new plastic ones (that no passengers have yet received) have a lower powered magnet, or, perhaps it's the NFC chip that activates the reader.

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

Plastic is not the answer. There are magnets in them. We have ours on the fridge along with all the ship magnets..

Actually I was hoping for a the current version to use the magnet like you are doing 😉