Has Trivia Changed?

bell2

We have taken several Princess cruises with extended family a few years ago and always enjoyed playing the trivia in 6 person teams.  It allowed different generations in our family to do something together and have a laugh.

We are considering a Scandinavian trip this summer.  Some of my family members just did a Mediterranean cruise and said their cruise had no trivia team games, just some trivia where you sat in a room with others and shouted out answers to questions.  They thought it was really boring.  Can anyone else who has done recent cruises with Princess let me know if this is how they do the trivia now, or was that unusual?

Thank you.

We had the normal twice/day 6 person teams in August 2019 on the Caribbean and February/March 2019 on the Emerald. There is a current live report, below, from the Crown with Patters which show the 6 person twice per day team trivia you know.

The CD held a couple of crowd trivia sessions in the Piazza on the Sky Princess Med Inaugural where you got thrown a Stanley Bear to hold and had to answer 5 of his trivia questions in a row to win a prize. Lots of shouting and sharing of answers but good fun. This was alongside standard trivia though.

Sandra

Edited by dides

50 days on Emerald Princess and they had 2-4 normal Trivia each day and a "week long" special trivia because there were lots of sea days on one leg.  Prizes not worth it especially when there were people who HAD TO WIN!!!

Edited by casofilia

6 hours ago, dides said:

The CD held a couple of crowd trivia sessions in the Piazza on the Sky Princess Med Inaugural where you got thrown a Stanley Bear to hold and had to answer 5 of his trivia questions in a row to win a prize. Lots of shouting and sharing of answers but good fun. This was alongside standard trivia though.

Sandra

They continued this on subsequent Sky cruises.

On 12/16/2019 at 1:42 PM, paul929207 said:

Every time we have been on Princess (nearly 60 cruises), there has been trivia 2 or 3 times a day. Teams up to 6 people.

They should have no more that 3 in a team. So many are just husband and wife who may not want to play with others for certain reasons. Most of the time a 6 team wins. Not fair. So is using iphones to get the answers. I see that a lot now. 

• Like 1

Yeah...I used to love trivia...but I've almost given up.  We were on a cruise recently where, at one trivia game, we managed to get it nearly perfect...but there were a couple of questions that, clearly, NOBODY was going to get...Not even a lucky guess would have come up with the correct answers...But, in the end, we lost--another team had gotten a perfect score--even nailing one of the impossible questions (Something like "How tall, in meters, is the tallest building in the world?"  They'd credit you within 10 meters--but these guys had it exactly!)

After the game, a guy comes over to us and says "That team that beat you?  I was standing near them watching the game...The guy in the green shirt was on his cell phone the entire time looking up answers".

I just said "They must have really needed those Princess playing cards really bad".

In our years of cruising and playing cruise trivia, we've seen it all...Like the guy playing "Princess Jeopardy" by himself who claimed to have more points in the end than would be possible if you'd have gotten EVERY question right and doubled your money on final Jeopardy.  Next trivia, I spotted the same guy again playing by himself...and when they said to trade papers, he wasn't making a move to trade with anyone...so I ran over and demanded to trade...and he grabbed his paper and hastily left the room instead.  But, I got a good look at it first--he had about six of the 20 answer lines actually filled in...

Oh yeah, and then there was the cruise where one team showed up every game with about 10-11 people...and, whenever challenged, they claimed that only six of them were playing--the others were just there for "support"...

What people won't do for decks of cards, luggage tags, pens and cheap luggage locks...

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1

we were on the Royal in November and they had one in the am for general trivia and then 3-4 at night that had themes, 80s music, movie posters etc...we play to play and laugh...most times we dont even exchange our answer sheet ...especially if we bombed it but it sure is fun to see what we know or can remember.  Best we got was a princess water bottle.....still use that bad boy!

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

They should have no more that 3 in a team. So many are just husband and wife who may not want to play with others for certain reasons. Most of the time a 6 team wins. Not fair. So is using iphones to get the answers. I see that a lot now. 

I think 6 is a good number. It's someone's choice if they want to play as a couple, but it's our choice to play with family or friends. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, apeller said:

I think 6 is a good number. It's someone's choice if they want to play as a couple, but it's our choice to play with family or friends. 

I agree...if we know we will just suck at it we stay to ourselves...and if our friends we travel with don't want to play we loved joining other couples/families.  Have met some great folks playing trivia..keep in touch with some of them still  

• Like 2

On our most recent two cruises (October and November 2019) there was the usual trivia but, on the second cruise, there was one assistant CD that gave maybe 15 seconds to answer before moving on to the next question. LOTS of people in the crowd wanting more time but no way was he going to slow down. We found him to be the absolute worst crew member we have ever encountered. Pretty much a jerk in multiple ways. I don't know how it is he has made it to assistant CD.

Edited by Thrak

On 12/16/2019 at 3:43 PM, dides said:

Sandra

We were there and participated several times. Was a lot of fun the way Alex did it. 

• Like 2

On 12/16/2019 at 10:05 AM, bell2 said:

We have taken several Princess cruises with extended family a few years ago and always enjoyed playing the trivia in 6 person teams.  It allowed different generations in our family to do something together and have a laugh.

We are considering a Scandinavian trip this summer.  Some of my family members just did a Mediterranean cruise and said their cruise had no trivia team games, just some trivia where you sat in a room with others and shouted out answers to questions.  They thought it was really boring.  Can anyone else who has done recent cruises with Princess let me know if this is how they do the trivia now, or was that unusual?

Thank you.

Thank you everyone for your answers.  Seems pretty consistent that the trivia is done in teams the same as usual, except for the Sky Princess.

Sad that people feel it's okay to cheat by getting the info from the internet, though.  Doesn't seem like that would be much fun in order to get a luggage tag or pack of cards!

25 minutes ago, bell2 said:

Thank you everyone for your answers.  Seems pretty consistent that the trivia is done in teams the same as usual, except for the Sky Princess.

Sad that people feel it's okay to cheat by getting the info from the internet, though.  Doesn't seem like that would be much fun in order to get a luggage tag or pack of cards!

The Sky Princess did have the regular trivia with teams up to 6 people.  In addition, they did the trivia in the Piazza.

• Like 1

I have seen on occasion trivia done as a group, but this was more of a bar scene. On the same cruse, there were trivia games announced in the Patter either twice or three times during the day and evening. All of the last few cruises we have been on had the third trivia, usually music trivia in the evening. Usually around 5 to 7 in the evening. It was played the same way with teams of 6.